Choral Evensong, live on Wednesdays and Sundays?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Choral Evensong, live on Wednesdays and Sundays?

I told an organist friend of mine that the above was coming. This was some time ago.....does anyone know when it starts? Thanks
  • bach736
    • Nov 2010

Are you sure about this, Salymap?
    Apart from Holy Week, when there are two live services - Southwell (Wed) and Liverpool Metropolitan (Easter Day), I can't find any reference to it anywhere.

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Where did you hear this, salyruth?
      I've searched BBC press releases. Nada.

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Are you sure this wasn't an 'eats shoots and leaves' statement?

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

It sounds to me like a 'version' of the old news that live CE was returning to Wednesdays and that the Sunday broadcast would continue ...
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• salymap
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Thanks all. Can't remember where I read it but it seemed definite and had a start date of about now IIRR.

It was probably a BBC blog sort of thing ???

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Well, the last Advance schedule went up at the beginning of February, for three months ahead. That three months goes up to Easter/end April. No news for thereafter.

So if anyone knows of any live Sunday broadcast coming from their foundation from the beginning of May onwards, please declare it!

Intriguingly, the live-live Po3s are scheduled to begin on May 3rd
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

Can find nothing on BBC sites.

Will prospect further.

Comment

• Magnificat

This may well be true because after the demise of the previous live Sunday broadcasts the BBC was inundated with requests for the return of the sermon which proved to be a very popular by-product of the switch to Sundays.

Sermons/homilies are not usually preached midweek Wednesdays ( except at Westminster Cathedral but are on Sundays at all other cathedrals/college chapels.

VCC

Comment

• Lizzie
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Magnificat View Post
                    This may well be true because after the demise of the previous live Sunday broadcasts the BBC was inundated with requests for the return of the sermon which proved to be a very popular by-product of the switch to Sundays.

Sermons/homilies are not usually preached midweek Wednesdays ( except at Westminster Cathedral but are on Sundays at all other cathedrals/college chapels.

VCC
                    Indeed VCC. There are many housebound elderly and disabled people out there who are unable to get to Church regularly if at all. Such programmes as CE, Sunday Half Hour and the Sunday morning service offer them spiritual opportunities which so many miss.
                    In addition to that, how many times have we bemoaned the fact that we don't hear enough from other very able choral establishments? This MIGHT offer those very opportunities and by that, encourage even greater standards for those anxious not to be overlooked.
                    All Bws. Liz

Comment

• DracoM
                      Host
                      • Mar 2007

I would say that there is pretty well no chance of two live CEs a week. Costs? Sources seem to suggest this is unfeasible in the present climate.

Comment

• muticus

I wonder how true it is that 'Sermons are preached on Sundays at all other cathedrals/college chapels'?
                        I am sure that is the case at Morning service - be it Matins or Eucharist, however I can think of numerous establishments where there in no Sermon at Evensong....
                        Having said which -I am sure the clergy would be happy to oblige if it were for a broadcast.

Comment

• Lizzie
                          • Nov 2010

In Winchester Cathedral, we have sermons at CE almost every Sunday. Bws. Liz

Comment

• muticus

Actually, I wish we did more often - we get a homily in Lent and Advent - very brief though, no time to develop much of an idea.
                            It would be good to see CE take the opportunity to have series of related addresses - or maybe even invited preachers.

Comment

• DracoM
                              Host
                              • Mar 2007

Sorry to slip this in, but CE at St T NYC comes with a sermon every Sunday in their webcast CEs and eucharists, and many are of serious class.

Comment

Working...
                              X