• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Loud Organs His Glory

Mercia has already mentioned (on the Bring Back The Organ thread) today's R4 programme about Henry Willis.

I was agreeably surprised how good this programme was. It had to be comprehensible to Jo Public and yet have something for the organ-buff. I think it achieved both those aims....and Lizzie will no doubt be delighted that some of the programme was recorded in Winchester's organ loft with Andrew Lumsden.
  • Lizzie
    • Nov 2010

I wish I could have heard it. Is it on iPlayer? I'm sure our Andy will have been his usual magnificent self.
    At Recital tonight in Alton Parish Church by Stephen Disley - Sub-Org at Southwark Cathedral. Such a fine player - try to hear 'Animal Parade' by Iain Farringdon. The 'Hippopotamus' and 'Barrel Organ Monkey' splendid fun! Best. Liz

Comment

• mercia
      • Nov 2010

Simon Townley tells the story of the great Victorian organ builder 'Father' Henry Willis.

Comment

• Lizzie
        • Nov 2010

Thank you! Will have a look on Sat when I can use the library pc... Bws. Liz

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

And Truro got real praise.

Lizzie - I am AMAZED you didn't know!!

Comment

• Lizzie
            • Nov 2010

My dear Organ-Boys must have forgotten to tell me! I may have to punish! Couldn't have listened as I work full time. Will try to listen in the library on Saturday. Bws. Liz

Comment

• decantor
              • Dec 2010

I thoroughly enjoyed this short broadcast, and thank Mercia for the link. It was one of those laid-back, good-humoured programmes that are both easy-listening and genuinely informative. I had often wondered how HW came to be Father Willis, and it turns out to be just the sort of serendipity way one might have expected.

But there is one feature of such programmes that always irritates me, though I suppose it's inevitable. Just as some fine organist embarked on some fine music on a fine instrument, he was faded down to make room for the narrator and his script. It happened a lot in Simon Russell Beale's Sacred Music series: The Sixteen launch themselves into a superb bit of Josquin or whatever, and they're faded out to make room for SRB's next sound-bite from a noisy Roman pavement. Of course one can see the producer's problem, but oh! the frustration.....

Comment

• Lizzie
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by decantor View Post
                I thoroughly enjoyed this short broadcast, and thank Mercia for the link. It was one of those laid-back, good-humoured programmes that are both easy-listening and genuinely informative. I had often wondered how HW came to be Father Willis, and it turns out to be just the sort of serendipity way one might have expected.

But there is one feature of such programmes that always irritates me, though I suppose it's inevitable. Just as some fine organist embarked on some fine music on a fine instrument, he was faded down to make room for the narrator and his script. It happened a lot in Simon Russell Beale's Sacred Music series: The Sixteen launch themselves into a superb bit of Josquin or whatever, and they're faded out to make room for SRB's next sound-bite from a noisy Roman pavement. Of course one can see the producer's problem, but oh! the frustration.....
                Thank you Mercia! I have just managed to hear this in the library. What an excellent programme. Share decantor's frustration but thoroughly enjoyed the programme nonetheless. Andy Lumsden is of course my hero!
                Have a good weekend everyone. Bws. Liz :cool2:

Comment

Working...
                X