CE Westminster Abbey

Order of Service:

Introit: Vigilate (Byrd)
    Responses: Radcliffe
    Psalms 77, 80 (Mann; Attwood, Barnby)
    Lesson: Isaiah 65:17-66:2
    Canticles: Howells in G
    Lesson: Matthew 24:1-14
    Anthem: A song of the new Jerusalem (Matthew Martin)
    Hymn: Wake, o wake! With tidings thrilling (Wachet auf)

Organ voluntary: Chorale prelude on 'St Thomas' (Parry)

Daniel Cook (Sub-Organist)
    James O'Donnell (Organist and Master of the Choristers)
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Reminder today @ 3.30 p.m.

Comment

• Finzi4ever
      • Nov 2010

Only as far as the psalms, but the boys' tone is so much more edgy than before - or is it very unbalanced sound engineering: it's terribly close and seems to be up a trble's nostril...

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

It's a big singing season for any foundation choir and Wabbey more than most I'd have thought and coming to the end of term: I thought the boys sounded a tad tired, frankly. Fairly standard repertoire, decently done. Bit over enthusiastic basses at times? Unexpected Bach at the start, but a nice hors d'oeuvre

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

I rather enjoyed the Psalms! There was a greater sense of ensemble than in Vigilate which was just a bit too muscular for my taste. The men at Wabbey have big professional voices and we have to accept that this is how things are in this very fine choir. I wonder if Finzi4ever's comment...

but the boys' tone is so much more edgy than before - or is it very unbalanced sound engineering: it's terribly close and seems to be up a trble's nostril.
          ...reflected the engineers' wish to avoid the treble sound being overwhelmed. Anyway, the organ accomp to the Psalms was beautifully done, and at times quite thrilling. (I heard it on my big speakers, woofer and all.)

I like the Mag of Howells in G as much as any of the 'named' settings. Maybe the Nunc isn't so special. but I thought the Canticles too were very well done. (A slight tenor fluff in the Mag??)

Matthew M, your anthem was most atmospheric. Can you post in and tell us how it came to be written. Was it specifically done for The Abbey? I felt there was more sensitive ensemble singing here than elsewhere in the broadcast. Bit of a cut-back in the recording level at the big climax just before the end.

The Parry voluntary at the end was what Mrs A. calls 'a lot of organ noise'. Comments on the new Organ section, perhaps?
          Last edited by ardcarp; 03-12-14, 21:42.

Comment

• decantor
            • Dec 2010

My first thought about this service was how much better JSB’s Wachet sat at the start, rather than at the end as at SJCC on Sunday. I hope that thought is not considered seditious, philistine, or bone-headed!

While recognising the value of a ‘themed’ music list, I must say that the Byrd-Howells-Martin combination suited me well – it represented root, branch, and latest flowering of English liturgical composition. The psalmody had much to commend it too, with appropriate SFX, but I feel the Barnby chant – one of my favourites – is better matched with a more slow-paced, introspective text.

I am glad to read upthread that others questioned the treble timbre – I didn’t know whether to blame the BBC, my elderly speakers, or my ageing eardrums – but maybe they have been overtaxed of late; at least they sang with competence and gusto. Over all, I didn’t feel the choir were well served by the engineers, but I don’t pretend to understand the difficulties. In the broad sweep, this was a most enjoyable CE.

And, on this showing, Daniel Cook is enjoying his residence at the Abbey.

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

Want to add my interest in the Martin as well - forgot to post that above. Apologies. I wondered if the boys did OK, but just found particularly the Byrd a bit of a chore. with new music, most choirs tend to lift their game as Wabbey did this p.m.. Sorry, still found the psalms a bit.........well, dull.

Comment

• Matthew Martin

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                I rather enjoyed the Psalms! There was a greater sense of ensemble than in Vigilate which was just a bit too muscular for my taste. The men at Wabbey have big professional voices and we have to accept that this is how things are in this very fine choir. I wonder if Finzi4ever's comment...

...reflected the engineers' wish to avoid the treble sound being overwhelmed. Anyway, the organ accomp to the Psalms was beautifully done, and at times quite thrilling. (I heard it on my big speakers, woofer and all.)

I like the Mag of Howells in G as much as any of the 'named' settings. Maybe the Nunc isn't so special. but I thought the Canticles too were very well done. (A slight tenor fluff in the Mag??)

Matthew M, your anthem was most atmospheric. Can you post in and tell us how it came to be written. Was it specifically done for The Abbey? I felt there was more sensitive ensemble singing here than elsewhere in the broadcast. Bit of a cut-back in the recording level at the big climax just before the end.

The Parry voluntary at the end was what Mrs A. calls 'a lot of organ noise'. Comments on the new Organ section, perhaps?
                Just been alerted to the fact that there was a question about Wednesday's anthem on here so here goes.. It's a Gloucester Cathedral piece written in 2011 in memory of John Sanders who was the organist there in my youth. I think the idea was to find an alternative to the well-known Bainton setting. Well..I tried.. JS was very kind and permitted me to have a go on the organ in Glos (Choir flutes only, of course) when I was 12. I also thrust some of my compositions his way on the same occasion and he hid his indifference very expertly. An extremely urbane man and well loved there.

Comment

• ardcarp
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Thanks MM. Excellent piece. Yes, John Sanders wrote a bit too...I've done his 'Reproaches' a few times. Fine instrument at Gloucester, voiced quite differently from the average cathedral organ.

Comment

Working...
                  X