• Mar 2007

CE Cathedral and Abbey Church of St Alban 6th April 2011

CE Cathedral and Abbey Church of St Alban

Order of Service:

Introit: Lord we beseech Thee (Batten)
    Responses: Ebdon
    Psalms: 59, 60 (Barnby, Goss, Harrison)
    First Lesson: Exodus 4: 1-17
    Office Hymn: Lord teach us how to pray aright (St Hugh)
    Canticles: Daniel Purcell in E minor
    Second Lesson: Hebrews 10: 1-10
    Anthem: Remember, O Lord, what is come upon us (Walmisley)

Organ Voluntary: Prelude and Fugue in F minor BWV 534 (Bach)

Tom Winpenny (Assistant Master of the Music)
    Andrew Lucas (Master of the Music)
  • Magnificat

Tom Winpenny should be safe with a bit of seasonal Bach after criticism last time for choosing to play Preston's Toccata which some thought inappropriate as a voluntary for Evensong.

Virtuosic performance nevertheless and since the cathedral had just spent a million quid on refurbishing the Harrison I thought, personally, that he was justified in showing it off on air.

I haven't heard the choir since Christmas. I was hoping to do so when I went to the Sixteen's concert there a week ago last Saturday but it was men only as the boys had all been down with a virulent throat infection that was doing the rounds and had been given a week's rest. I am sure they will overcome it, however, as Andrew Lucas always has strength in depth in his treble line.

I'm looking forward to this broadcast. Lovely Lenten selection. Beautiful introit and the anthem, although something of a warhorse, isn't heard that often on CE and is quite a sing for the men. It also, of course, includes the well known section for treble voices " For this our heart is faint".

I hope Jeffrey John, the Dean, is on duty as his prayers are always a joy and so appropriately thoughtful at any service at which he officiates.

VCC.

Comment

• Magnificat

Well, I have to say that I wasn't disappointed.

Quality singing from a very, very, fine choir despite recent difficulties. You could hear some of the boys still coughing in the background.

The anthem was stunningly sung. I thought, and showed the talent of the choir's superb men and well trained boys to perfection.

VCC

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

On my radio, the balance twixt choir and organ was very good...ie choir not swamped at all. Some of the tempi were just a tad slow for my taste, especially the psalms, but then it is Lent.

Comment

• bach736
          • Nov 2010

So there are some compensations for living alongside the M25. Lovely service, beautifully sung.
          Good to hear the Purcell again - certainly deserves a more frequent airing - and the anthem was excellent.
          I particularly liked Tom Winpenny's subtle implementation of Walmisley's rather detailed dynamic organ markings and the tenor and bass divisi were nicely balanced in what can often be a muddy start. Strong upper voices too, very clear and confident - although I had been expecting a quiet treble solo when the 'faint hearts and dim eyes' arrive at bar 137. Just being picky - it was brilliant.

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

Safe, competent, organised, no nonsense. Best boys were good. Nice to hear men getting some proper limelight and not having to strive for it like auditioning opera stars.

Comment

Working...
            X