X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Clever line drawn in the choice of material. A good deal was relatively straightforward eg the psalm, but with suitable 'decoration' what could easily be rehearsed in their separate caths, such that bringing it together would be straightforward enough. It worked.

As suggested upthread, 'Laudibus in Sanctis' was the real test. Sounded to me as if each of the three choirs sang separate bits but skilfully dovetailed into the tutti? Did anyone else get that impression? Heck of an engineering job to get all singing lines relatively clear, and that happened much of the time. Predictably just a tad muddy in the big moments but some delightful realisations of exquisite little 3/4 elements. But it is a very big sing, for the trebs of whatever gender it has a pretty high tessitura over the men giving it ample stick, so tiring to get through. And, of course they've been singing a LOT of other testing stuff that has not been broadcast. So, my genuine thanks to all concerned.

Not sure the responses worked as well as one might hope.

Hereford draw the short straw by being on CE VERY early in the new academic year. Go for it, GB!!

Comment

• jean
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Vox Humana View Post
      Ten to one we don't hear Byrd's intended speed at the triple-time "laeta chorea" passage. I never have yet. A minor point, perhaps, though it does make a significant difference to the music.
      I was hoping to - but I don't think I did.

I didn't hear anything very different from what I've heard before, at any rate.

Comment

• Vox Humana
        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by jean View Post
        I was hoping to - but I don't think I did.

I didn't hear anything very different from what I've heard before, at any rate.
        No, it sounded to me as though they were using the usual, bowdlerised Fellowes edition. It is the oldest "credible" edition so it's the one most choirs will have. In any case, with three cathedral choirs coming together for this Evensong, I wouldn't blame any DoM for playing safe and settling for what was probably familiar to all. It would be asking for trouble to impose a radically new reading in such a situation.

Comment

Working...
        X