Clear All
  • Oldcrofter
    • Dec 2010

Draco:

Comment

• Gabriel Jackson
      • May 2011

Originally posted by Oldcrofter View Post
      I have a feeling that choral singing is seen from a very different angle in the Baltic countries, Gabriel - am I right ? It's more an expression of 'nationalism' (in the best sense - I mean an expression of national identity and social cohesion) which sometimes involves the coming together of thousands of singers, many in national dress. Plus, of course, high levels of participation in local choirs at all levels from children through youth to adult choirs and performing at a high level. I don't know if there are also many cathedral and church choirs which are also prominent in the Baltic countries.
      There is an extraordinary film by Juris Podnieks - KRUSTCEĻŠ (which means "Homeland") http://www.bestbaltic.eu/en/krustcels-1990.html which documents the crucial role singing played in the struggle for liberation from the USSR, in terms of fostering and celebrating national identity in the face of foreign oppression and in empowering acts of defiance.

I have never been to a church service in the Baltic countries so I have no idea what happens in them, musically, but I am not aware of any liturgical choirs that have any profile/existence outside their church. The amazing Riga Dom Boys Choir (whose alumni include Kaspars Putniņš, Māris Sirmais and Uģis Prauliņš) is not the cathedral choir, despite its name.

Comment

Working...
      X