Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Suffolkcoastal
    • Nov 2010

Back to my symphonic journey the last couple of nights.

1841 (concluding)
    Schumann: Symphony No 1 'Spring'
    Schumann: Symphony No 4
    Spohr: Symphony No 7 in C major 'The Earthly & Divine in Human Life'
    Verhulst: Symphony in E minor
    1842 (begun)
    Berlioz: Symphonie Funebre et Triomphale
    Berwald: Symphony No 2 in D major 'Sinfonie capricieuse'
    Gade: Symphony No 1 in C minor

The Schumann symphonies of course need no introduction from me, but hearing them in symphonic context is very illuminating. Listening to the 4th straight after the 1st also shows the closeness of the thematic material in both works. I'm rather fond of No1 but always struggle somewhat with No 4 although I admire the concept of linking the four movements, I'm not sure what it is but No 4 never really stays with me after hearing it.
    The Spohr is a novel work in 3 movements, scored for a 'double' orchestra one of which is really a chamber orchestra of 11 players, the music is programmatic and the contrasts between the chamber and full orchestra are a very novel effect for the time, the invention though not always of Spohr's best is made more interesting by the orchestral and harmonic touches.
    It is a pity the E minor was Verhulst's only symphony, it is quite attractive with some occasionally interesting harmonic touches in the 1st movement. The Berlioz I find rather quirky in his only inimitable way, the 1842 version I listened too included the final choral apotheosis. Not a true symphony of course and perhaps a rather required taste but still interesting to hear in context.
    The Berwald like all 4 of his completed symphonies is an absolutely fascinating work. There is instantly something about the symphony that is completely individualistic and oddly Scandinavian I can never quite put my finger on why it sounds Scandinavian except that there is a certain distinct openness about the harmony. The central slow movement I find very effective. Finally another Scandinavian, Neils Gade this 1st symphony of his which he sent to Mendelssohn and which resulted in a friendship and Gade becoming Mendelssohn's deputy until the latter's untimely death, has again a certain freshness and touches of individuality inspite of the rather obvious Mendelssohnian features. I was struck by the rather beautiful slow movement for me the best movement and I can understand why Mendelssohn was impressed with the symphony.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
      • Nov 2010

The last couple of evenings episodes of my symphonic collection journey as follows:

1842 (concluding)
      Kalliwoda: Symphony No 6 in F major
      Mendelssohn: Symphony No 3 in A minor (Scottish)
      Berwald: Symphony No 1 in G minor (Sinfonie Serieuse)
      Czerny: Symphony No 2 in D major
      Gade: Symphony No 2 in E major
      Mosonyi (Brand): Symphony No 1 in D major
      Staehle : Symphony in C minor

The Kalliwoda 6th isn't among the best of Kalliwoda's 7 symphonies, I think he seems to be better in minor key symphonies (5 of the 7 are in the minor), nevertheless this is still a worthwhile work. Little comment needed of course, but I've a soft spot for the Mendelssohn, the long gestation period of nearly 12 years is somewhat surprising for a composer known for his fluency. Again hearing the work in context shows what a fine symphony this is, the four movements should of course be played without a break and the thematic integration already points the way towards the later romantic period.
      The Berwald is like many of his works most remarkable and original. We still don't hear enough of his music in the concert hall, there are some fascinating harmonic twists and sudden surprising dissonances which sound the more striking thorugh Berwald's very original orchestration which is often quite daring and sparse. The Czerny is not among the best symphonies of the period I feel, certainly not up to the standard of his 1st. The symphony is saved somewhat by the slightly catchy theme of the slow movement which sounds like a cross between late Haydn and a Bel Canto aria. The 1st movement's main subject veers a bit close to the corresponding subject in Beethoven's 2nd symphony, whilst the main idea of the scherzo in places nearly plagiarises the main idea of the scherzo of Beethoven's 9th.
      The Gade is a charming work, E major still a relatively unusual key for a symphony of that time. The 1st movement's freshness is especially persuasive even if the rest of the symphony doesn't quite live up to this.
      The Mosonyi (Michael Brand) is a truly dreadful work. The 1st two movements sound like bad copies of the corresponding movements of Beethoven's 2nd symphony, the scherzo also hints at the corresponding movement of Beethoven 2nd, though quite curiously somehow almost alludes to the Scherzo of the Schubert 'Unfinished'. The finale is scrappy and weak. This must be among the worst symphonies of the 19th century.
      The symphony by Hugo Staehle is a different matter. A remarkable work by an 18 year old who life was tragically cut short by meningitis when he was just 22. He was a pupil of Spohr and the symphony at 40 minutes in length is imposing and very much of its time with echoes of Spohr, Mendelssohn and Schumann. The slow movement in particular is a real gem, and the finale surprisingly ends quietly. This symphony is certainly worth seeking out.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
        • Nov 2010

Continuing my symphonic journey the last couple of nights with:

Berwald: Symphony No 3 in C 'Singuliere'
        Berwald: Symphony No 4 in E flat
        Czerny: Symphony No 5 in E flat
        Farrenc: Symphony No 2 in D major
        Onslow: Symphony No 4 in G major
        Schumann: Symphony No 2 in C
        Gade: Symphony No 3 in A minor
        Spohr: Symphony No 8 in G major

Some varied and interesting works here. Berwald's 3rd symphony is one of the masterpieces of the first half of the 19th century IMO. His style really is totally individual, the very opening is magical and the the scherzo is contained within the slow movement. A lot of the work sounds as if it could have been written 20 or more years later. The 4th is probably Berwald's most enjoyable symphony totally delightful, these works still do not appear on concert programmes enough.

The Czerny is a large scale 40 minute work and much better than the 1st and 2nd symphonies, still perhaps looking too much to the Beethovenian but at the same time sounding more contemporary to the 1840's. The Farrenc is less successful than her first, it looks back in places to Haydn, but the invention though fairly lightweight is most attractive.

Onslow's 4th and last symphony is worth knowing, the slow movement in particular and the scherzo are successful and in the 1st movement and scherzo one can hear the occasional influence of his compatriot Berlioz. Schumann's 2nd probably my favourite Schumann symphony and I think his best symphony, though I occasionally change my mind, again hearing it in the context of contemporary symphonies is most enlightening.

Gade's 3rd symphony is IMO his most successful symphony so far, the influence of Mendelssohn and occasionally Schumann is never far away, but like all his symphonies it has a certain openess and freshness. Interestingly the 3rd movement isn't a scherzo but moderately paced and seems to almost anticipate the Brahms's use of similarly moderate paced movements in his first three symphonies.

Spohr's 8th symphony really caught my attention, this is a strangely subdued almost resigned work. The relatively short slow movement is quite sombre almost melancholic and it is followed by a rather strange scherzo which a couple of commentators seem to have called childlike, and one can sort of agree with this. It also features a prominent part for solo violin. The finale for a while sounds like it trying to make a positive concluding statement but curiously ends quietly. Well worth seeking out I think.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
          • Nov 2010

The last couple of nights continuation of my symphonic journey:

1851 (concluding)
          Rubinstein: Symphony No 2 in C major 'Ocean'

Gade: Symphony No 5 in D minor
          Gouvy: Symphony No 3 in C major

Saint-Saens; Symphony No 1 in E flat

Czerny: Symphony No 6 in G minor
          Gounod: Symphony No 1 in D major

1855 (beginning)
          Bizet: Symphony in C
          Lindblad: Symphony No 2 in D major
          Rubinstein: Symphony No 3 in A major

The 1850's and a the early 1860's were a relatively quiet time symphonically, still there were a number of interesting symphonies produced.
          Rubinstein huge 2nd Symphony (the Ocean) was partly composed in 1851 (4 movements), with 2 additional movements in 1863 and a further movement 1880. I decided to play under the date it was first produced as the stylistically the symphony seems to belong to this period. The 7 movement work is too long and perhaps Rubinstein would have been better to have left it as a four movement originally. The work is very Mendelssohnian in places, but the andante movement really is quite beautiful.
          The Gade is basically a symphony with piano obbligato in the manner of the contemporary Concerto Symphoniques of Litolff and quite delightful it is too. The Gouvy is distinctive though one can hear echoes of contemporary composers there are still moments of originality and the work makes a convincing whole. Curiously in one or two places it sounds vaguely like the Bizet, did Bizet know this work? Somehow I doubt it as Gouvy's music was not popular in his home country, the Germans being more receptive.
          Saint-Saens' E flat symphony is a rather attractive piece from the teenage composer, the 2nd movement has one of those delightfully catchy tunes that sticks in the memory, and the slow movement is rather lovely with an operatic feel to it
          Czerny's 6th Symphony is rather old fashioned for the time being still under Beethoven's shadow, though it is still a worth listening to as it is well written. Gounod's 1st Symphony isn't as often performed as it perhaps should be, it always sounds refreshing.
          The Bizet is of course well known, it was one of my favourite boyhood symphonies and its never lost its charm for me. The 2nd movement most clearly anticipates the future operatic composer and whilst the work has some technical shortcomings these can easily be ignored when the material is so memorable in every movement. Such a pity this work was a one off.
          Lindblad's 2nd symphony was composed over 20 years after his 1st and is again rather attractive. The slow movement is rather lacklustre but the 3rd and 4th movement more than make up for this and not unlike the Gounod and Bizet in a strange sort of way.
          Rubinstein's 3rd symphony is a bit of a mixed bag. The 1st movement is thematically rather dull and the movement rather stodgy. The 2nd movement though has clear anticipations of the Russian Nationalist style and the finale opens with an idea that could easily be mistaken for Tchaikovsky even in orchestration.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
            • Nov 2010

Symphonic journey listening the last few evenings:

1855 (concluding)
            Smetana: Symphony in E 'Festive'
            Eduard Franck: Symphony in B flat major
            Gounod: Symphony No 2 in E flat
            Liszt: Dante Symphony
            Saint-Saens: Symphony in F 'Urbs Romana'
            Gade: Symphony No 6 in G minor
            Liszt: Faust Symphony
            Spohr: Symphony No 10 in E flat
            Bristow: Symphony in F sharp minor
            L Norman: Symphony No 1 in F major

Another interesting collection. The Smetana has suffered from its use of the 'Emperor's Hymn' in 3 of the 4 movements. Rather uninspired in places in nevertheless shows glimpses of the mature composer, most especially in the delightful Scherzo which is sometimes heard.
            I don't expect many MB's have come across the music of the German composer Eduard Franck. The B flat is a nicely written work nothing special and very much of its time with Mendelssohnian touches. Gounod's 2nd Symphony is sometimes overshadowed by his 1st which is better known, but I find the 2nd just as delightful, especially the finale.
            The two Liszt Symphonies are of course fairly well known. Of the two I much prefer the Faust Symphony, which is a superbly written work and a work I must get a score of soon. The Dante Symphony doesn't for me hang together as well and I find it occasionally rather rhetorical, but this is purely my opinion.
            Saint-Saens' F Major Symphony is I find a rather dull piece, certainly far less interesting than his earlier A major and E flat symphonies. The Gade 6th is a typical work from this composer, but perhaps not the equal of his earlier symphonies, the scherzo stays in the memory but the other movements lack distinctive ideas at least compared with the earlier symphonies.
            Spohr's final symphony caused the composer some doubts and he didn't publish it. It is a rather subdued work and not totally convincing except for the strangely sombre yet moving siciliana like slow movement.
            George Bristow is an American composer and his F sharp minor symphony, has plenty going for it, rather Mendelssohnian at times also sometimes the influence of Schumann is noticeable, there are one or two moments that don't quite sound like other composers of the time.
            The Swede Ludvig Norman occasionally has his chamber music featured on TTN. His 1st symphony should be broadcast as well. It is an occasionally slightly quirky work, that certainly has moments of individuality. Like Gade and Berwald there is something oddly Scandinavian about his music and like Berwald he scores slightly unconventionally at times particularly for woodwind and brass.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
              • Nov 2010

Journey through my symphonic collection from the last couple of nights:

Gottschalk: Symphony No 1 'Night in the Tropics'
              Saint-Saens: Symphony No 2 in A minor

E Franck: Symphony In A major

Raff: Symphony No 1 in D major 'To the Fatherland'

1862 (no works)

Bruckner: Symphony in F minor (Study Symphony)
              Hol: Symphony No 1 in C minor
              Reinecke: Symphony No 1 in A major
              Alice Smith: Symphony in C minor
              Volkmann: Symphony No 1 in D minor

Grieg: Symphony in C minor

Still a rather transitional period form the symphony, before the emergence of the full blown, nationalist and late romantic works.

The Gottschalk is a curious rather eccentric two movement work, where ideas that could come from Bel-Canto opera mix with ideas from popular ball rooms and in the 2nd movement Latin-American percussion that almost transports the work to the 1920's!.

The Saint-Saens 2nd Symphony is a compact and attractive work which still gets an occasional performance and perhaps a work that could be programmed a little more often.

Eduard Franck's A major Symphony, is IMO a better work than the B flat. Though often Schumannesque there are moments, especially in the slow movement, that sound distinctly Brahmsian. The 1st movement also contains some rather tricky exposed writing for the horn. I wonder if any of our horn playing MBs have come across this symphony before.

The 1st of Raff's 11 symphonies is a pleasant but rather long winded work, at 70 minutes long. It is nicely orchestrated and hot without some attractive moments with some hints of the rustic manner of Bruckner.

The Bruckner F minor symphony is not unattractive either, aspects of the mature symphonist occur in the scherzo and finale.

The Dutch composer Richard Hol wrote 4 symphonies, his 1st is a relatively compact work somewhat Schumannesque but otherwise unremarkable.

Reinecke's 1st Symphony
              is a better work, the 1st movement is a little long for its material, but the slow movement is rather beautiful, for a composer of Schumann/Mendelssohn school it shows to my ears the influence of Wagner in places, (the Wagner of Tannhauser and Lohengrin) which I haven't seen remarked on before. The scherzo is most enjoyable too, as is the very Schumann like finale.

Alice Mary Smith was a rather remarkable British composer, a pupil of Sterndale Bennett and Macfarren. The c minor symphony is fairly substantial (over 30 minutes long), rather conservative in idiom but with some distinctive ideas well worth investigating. She seems to have composed a number of chamber works, though her later works tended to be Cantatas for the growing Novello market.

Robert Volkmann is an interesting composer, his 1st Symphony I think deserves an occasional broadcast and performance. The opening is very similar indeed to the opening of Borodin's 2nd Symphony too close to be a coincidence. The symphony was apparently popular in Russia and would have quite probably been heard by Borodin and there are one or two other slight similarities in the 1st movement. The slow movement is less attractive almost Beethoven like in places. The scherzo and lyrical trio are very effective with some writing that is places is almost Bruckner like, whilst the finale has a touch of Brahms about it (they were great friends).

Finally Grieg's only symphony. Actually quite a distinctive work from a 20 year old, with clear anticipations of his mature style in places. He clear can master larger forms and it is to be regretted than he never turned to the symphony again.
              Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 12-02-13, 23:35.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                • Nov 2010

The last few nights continuation of my symphonic journey:

Dvorak: Symphony No 1 in C minor 'Bells of Zlonice'
                Dvorak: Symphony No 2 in B flat major
                Gade: Symphony No 7 in F major
                Gouvy: Symphony No 5 in B flat major
                Rimsky-Korsakov: Symphony No 1 in E minor (1884 version)
                Rufinatscha: Symphony No 6 in D major
                Volkmann: Symphony No 2 in B flat major

1866 (beginning)
                Bruckner: Symphony No 1 in C minor (Linz version)
                Hol: Symphony No 2 in D minor
                Raff: Symphony No 2 in C major
                Sullivan: Symphony in E 'Irish'

Dvorak's first two symphonies were composed in close proximity the 2nd after the score of the 1st was lost. The 1st already marks Dvorak out as a symphonist, Beethoven & Schumann rub shoulders with clear anticipations of the mature composer, the main drawback for me is a certain longwindedness at times. This is also true of the 2nd Symphony, though here the anticipations of the mature composer are even more apparent, especially the scoring with Dvorak's very recogniseable and highly individual writing for and blending of woodwind colour.

Gade's 7th symphony has a refreshing appealing 1st movement which the rest of the work sadly doesn't live up to, with the finale somewhat marred by an over-reliance on Mendelssohnian gestures.

The Gouvy 5th Symphony started off as a Dance Suite and is a lightweight and rather appealing work.

The world of Russian Nationalism bursts in like a breath of fresh-air on the symphonic scene in the 1860's. Rimsky's early 1st symphony was originally in E flat minor but later revised and put up a semitone to E minor. Inspite of a number of shortcomings the work remains quite attractive.

Rufinatscha is one of last years new discoveries. This is quite a long symphony attractive in places but for me lacks real individuality.

Volkmann's 2nd Symphony is absolutely delightful an unpretentious lightweight work it would make an ideal alternative to many better known symphonies of around 25 mins length on concert programmes. There is a slight similarity to Brahms in places, especially the slow movement.

I'll leave any major comments to Bruckner's many MB fans. I find the 1st symphony sets up the standard pattern for later works without being overlong and Bruckner's individual style is now clearly presented.

The 2nd Symphony of Richard Hol, is a more substantial effort than his 1st, with a sturdily written 1st movement, the gem is the rather beautifully expressive slow movement which also has a certain Brahmsian feel to it.

Raff's 2nd Symphony is much shorter than his 1st and has a lighter touch to it, with an attractive 1st movement in particular.

Finally Arthur Sullivan's 'Irish Symphony'. This shows Sullivan's clear talent, the 1st movement feels less secure than the rest, but the Irish influences in the finale and particularly the catchy 3rd movement add to the attraction of this symphony. Again, like many single symphony composers one wishes that Sullivan had returned to the form later in his career.
                Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 12-02-13, 23:38.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                  • Nov 2010

The latest installment of my symphonic journey:

1866 (conclusion)
                  Tchaikovsky: Symphony No 1 in G minor 'Winter Daydreams' (revised version)

W Sterndale Bennett: Symphony (No 2) in G minor op43
                  Borodin: Symphony No 1 in E flat
                  Svendsen: Symphony No 1 in G minor

Bruch: Symphony No 1 in E flat
                  Gottschalk: Symphony No 2 'A Montevideo'
                  De Lange: Symphony No 1 in C minor
                  Olander: Symphony in E flat

1869 (beginning)
                  Bruckner: Symphony No 0 in D minor
                  Dietrich: Symphony in D minor
                  Raff: Symphony No 3 in F major 'Im Walde'

I have a major 'soft spot' for Tchaikovsky', as I mentioned in my last posting, the arrival of the Russian Symphony sends a real breath of fresh air into the 19th century symphony. Tchaikovsky's 1st symphony really is a very good first attempt, the 1st movement is a finely written and convincing piece of symphonic writing, and the slow movement already shows Tchaikovsky's considerable lyrical talents. The one weak movement is the finale which doesn't totally convince.

Sterndale Bennett's symphony is similar in style to his previous one of over 30 years earlier, a pleasant work in a somehwat Mendelssohnian style, though the restless 1st movement is quite effective

Borodin's 1st effort really is a striking statement, his distinctive style and orchestration already fully developed. It has never been as popular as the 2nd, partly I think because its themes are less memorable.

Svendsen's 1st symphony is a very fine work, and one that is finally gaining some recognition. It has that typical Scandinavian freshness and there are occasional similarities to his compatriot and contemporary Grieg. The scherzo is an absolute winner and the finale feels a bit thematically thin.

Bruch's 1st symphony certainly is insignificant it is contemporary with the famous 1st Violin Concerto and very competent in a post-Schumann manner and not too long for its material either, just the slight lack of thematic memorability detracts from a very engaging work.

The Gottschalk is a quirky little 2 movement work, the little opening movement is tiny and more like an introduction, it seems to belong to the world of the mid 19th century popular ball room, unfortunately the introduction of the horrid trite 'yankee doodle' rather ruins the piece.

The Dutch composer Daniel de Lange's C minor symphony is not a good work, the thematic ideas are rather weak and rhetorical, the 1st movement rather thrashes around energetically without introducing any material of note and the rest of the work isn't much better I'm afraid.

The only symphony of the self-taught amateur Swedish composer Per Olander looks to classical models, the opening sounds for all the world like the opening of one of the Beethoven Leonore Overtures, the slow movement and scherzo are pleasant enough, but overall this isn't among the best symphonies of the decade.

I prefer the 'Nullte' to Bruckner's 1st symphony, it just for me hangs together better and the finale makes a much stronger conclusion.

Albert Dietrich's symphony was dedicated to Brahms and it does have a certain Brahmsian feel to it even though of course Brahms wasn't to complete a symphony for another 7 years. The best movement for me is the rather expressive slow movement.

Raff's 3rd symphony 'In Walde' (in the forest) is rather uneven, though it contains some attractive moments. The 2nd movement 'Twilight' really is most appealing and the following scherzo (Dance of the Dryads) is energetic in a slightly Mendelssohnian manner, though in a few places it sounds briefly like Tchaikovsky. The outer movements though pleasant are less appealing.
                  Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 12-02-13, 23:41.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                    • Nov 2010

The latest installment of the journey through my symphonic collection.

Bruckner: Symphony No 3 in D minor (1889 vers)
                    Dvorak: Symphony No 3 in E flat major
                    Goetz: Symphony in F
                    Raff: Symphony No 6 in D minor
                    Rimsky-Korsakov: Symphony No 3 in C major

1874 (beginning)
                    Bruckner: Symphony No 4 in E flat major 'Romantic' (ed Nowak)
                    Dvorak: Symphony No 4 in D minor
                    Reinecke: Symphony No 2 in C minor
                    Rubinstein: Symphony No 6 in D minor 'Dramatic'

I am less 'comfortable' with Bruckner's 3rd Symphony than with his other mature symphonies. For me it doesn't quite come off, perhaps I should try listening to some of the earlier versions. The slow movement though really hit me this time, it is most beautiful.

Dvorak's three movement 3rd Symphony is a rather transitional work. Aspects of his mature style and his compatriot Smetana rub shoulders with strong Wagnerian influences, especially in the rather too long slow movement, which Dvorak doesn't always handle convincingly. The finale comes off best for me, more clearly anticipating the mature master.

Goetz came to composition rather late in his short life and sadly this is his only complete symphony. Goetz's style really isn't quite like anybody else and he convincingly handles symphonic form, so the fact this is his only complete symphony is doubly regrettable.

Raff's 6th Symphony I find one of his stronger efforts in the medium and the more one listens the more one finds that Raff does have a distinctive personal style. The finale is most engaging and actually reminds me of the earlier symphonies of Parry & Stanford.

Rimsky was never comfortable with the symphonic form one feels. The 3rd symphony is attractive enough in places, with a catchy finale and some expressive writing in places in the slow movement, but otherwise the writing isn't of the highest distinction.

The later version of Bruckner 4 with the new Scherzo and Finale really comes off for me. It is a symphony that I've enjoyed for many years and enjoyed, though he is cruel to Double Bass players (I've played in a performance)! Any further comments I'll leave to the Bruckner experts.

Dvorak's 4th Symphony is another transitional work, again the Wagnerian influence isn't fully assimilated, though there are enough ideas of some distinction to make this a more successful work than its predecessor IMO.

Reinecke's 2nd Symphony isn't too bad a work at all, though stylistically it leans towards Mendelssohn and Schumann at times, there are enough ideas of interest to make this work worthwhile, especially the expressive slow movement, the best movement IMO.

Finally Anton Rubinstein's large scale 6th Symphony, which is arguably far too long for its material and doesn't have a natural flow to it. Having said that, there are some very curious chromatic passages in the 1st movement, quite startling for the time and also a near quotation of the opening idea of Sibelius' 2nd Symphony, is this coincidence or did Sibelius know this work? The long scherzo has some curious passages, ranging from Tchaikovsky like to twice briefly introducing a folk fiddle like section, but is far too sectional overall.
                    Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 12-02-13, 23:44.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                      • Nov 2010

The latest installment of my symphonic collection journey.

1874 (conclusion)
                      Taneyev: Symphony No 1 in E minor

Dvorak: Symphony No 5 in F major
                      Gernsheim: Symphony No 1 in G minor
                      Noskowski: Symphony No 1 in A major
                      Raff: Symphony No 7 in B flat 'In den Alpen'
                      Rheinberger: Symphony No 5 in F major 'Florentine'
                      Tchaikovsky: Symphony No 3 in D major 'Polish'

1876 (beginning)
                      Borodin: Symphony No 2 in B minor

Taneyev's 1st Symphony is a competent piece of work from an 18 year old, solid written and already showing some of the contrapuntal skill for which he was later to be renown. The finale uses a folksong familiar from Stravinsky's later usage in Petrushka.

Dvorak's 5th Symphony is his first fully mature symphony in which all the key aspects of his style are on display. It still isn't performed enough though these days. The rather hard driven finale still comes as something of a surprise.

The 1st Symphony of Friedrich Gernsheim, shows him to have a firm grasp of symphonic form. He certainly has some stylistically that have a certain individuality. The symphony is rather let down though by a rather weak finale, with ideas that are rather anonymous and not particularly distinguished.

Noskowski
                      was an important figure in Polish music of the time. The 1st Symphony is rather a good piece and shows a rather distinctive personality that is far from negligible.

Raff's 7th Symphony is a rather a typical work, with a certain individuality and very pleasant, but at the same time not particularly memorable.

Rheinberger's 2nd Symphony is also far from negligible. It is a highly attractive and rather extrovert symphony, definitely worth an occasional broadcast.

I admit to being rather fond of Tchaikovsky's 3rd Symphony, for all its shortcomings, especially in the outer movements. He embarked on it just prior to commencing Swan Lake and something of the symphony's more ceremonial style found its way into parts of the ballet. The central 3rd movement is the heart of the symphony and personally I'm very fond of it as it carried me through a difficult time a number of years ago.

Borodin's 2nd Symphony needs no introduction from me. I love this symphony and have played in a performance of it, and its very tricky! As I mentioned in an earlier posting the opening idea seems to allude to the opening of Volkmann's 1st Symphony. Having just listened to that entertaining finale, I doubt I'll get it out of my head for a few hours!
                      Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 12-02-13, 23:46.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                        • Nov 2010

Not quite so much listening in recent days, anyway, here's the latest installment in the journey though my symphonic collection.

1876 (conclusion)
                        Brahms: Symphony No 1 in C minor
                        Bruckner: Symphony No 5 in B flat (1878 version)
                        Draeseke: Symphony No 2 in F major
                        Goldmark: Rustic Wedding Symphony
                        Marques Y Garcia: Symphony No 3
                        Paine: Symphony No 1 in C minor
                        Raff: Symphony No 8 in A major 'Fruhlingsklange'
                        Raff: Symphony No 11 in A minor 'Der Winter'
                        A M Smith: Symphony in A minor
                        Stanford: Symphony No 1 in B flat major

Brahms: Symphony No 2 in D major

1878 (beginning)
                        Marques Y Garcia: Symphony No 4 in E

No introduction needed of course for either Brahms 1 or Bruckner 5, two of the great 19th century symphonies. Brahms 1 was for many years the only Brahms symphony I could get on with though my appreciation of the others has developed in time. Many main problem is as I've mentioned before, that we play Brahms to heavily and slowly in the 'qiuicker' movements, the 1st symphony can stand this better than the other three. Bruckner 5 is another work that has grown on me over the years, the finale is simply awesome in its majesty.

Felix Draeseke's 2nd Symphony is certainly worth getting to know, as in my comments on his 1st symphony, he has the breadth of a symphonist and his style really is quite individual and its about time his symphonies started appearing on R3 and in the concert hall.

Goldmark's Rustic Wedding Symphony seems to be less popular these days than it once was. I've always found it a delightfully charming lightweight work, it doesn't set out to be a profound masterpiece and there's no harm in that.

Pedro Marques Y Garcia was one of the few symphonists active in Spain in the 19th century, he also composed a number of popular Zarzuelas and was for a time a pupil of Berlioz. The 3rd symphony in sound world belongs in the 1st half of the 19th century but there are some recogniseably Spanish touches and a certain measure of quirky individuality.

The 1st Symphony of the American John Knowles Paine is IMO the finest symphony produced by an American in the 19th century, thoroughly Germanic in idiom it may be, but Paine's handling of symphonic form and the European tradition is masterly. The real gem is the slow movement which actually occasionally seems to almost sound Mahlerian.

Raff's 8th & 11th symphonies are part of a group of four celebrating the seasons. The 8th is quite attractive with some interesting orchestration and a most attractive slow movement. The 11th was written after the 8th but not published till much later hence its later numbering. It is a less interesting work, still recogniseably Raff but lacking really interesting ideas.

The 2nd symphony of the British composer Alice Mary Smith, is much shorter than its precedessor, it is rather attractive though often heavily influenced by Mendelssohn.

Stanford's 1st essay in symphonic form fairly competent. The 1st movement struggles somewhat and is less interesting than the other movements. The scherzo comes 2nd and is in Landler tempo and sounds thoroughly Austrian in a Schubertian way, though here and there it just occasionally anticipates Mahler. The finale is for me the movement most clearly representative in style of the later mature composer and provides an effective conclusion

Brahms's 2nd Symphony has grown on me over the years and it is a work that pays repeated study and seem to find more of interest every time I examine the score.

Finally the 4th symphony of Pedro Marques Y Garcia, this is a more interesting work than its predessor. The central movements show clear touches of colour both orchestrally and harmonically, only the rather long winded and empty finale lets the work down IMO.
                        Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 12-02-13, 23:50.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                          Many thanks again SC for another interesting post.

Never heard anything by this composer, have you any recording suggestions ?

Both A M Smith symphonies are available on Chandos conducted by Howard Shelley. I was listening to the chandos version of Stanford 1, and that rhythmic idea in the final has set off another earworm, which is currently clashing with the Brahmsian tune in the fianle of Rott's E major symphony which I was listening to in my symphonic journey last night - next commentary to probably be posted tomorrow.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                            • Nov 2010

The latest installment in the journey through my symphonic collection:

1878 (concluded)
                            Raff: Symphony No 9 in E minor 'Im Sommer'
                            Rott: Symphony in E
                            Tanayev: Symphony No 2 in B flat minor
                            Tchaikovsky: Symphony No 4 in F minor
                            Raff: Symphony No 10 in F minor 'Zu Herbstzeit'
                            1880 (beginning)
                            Cowen: Symphony No 3 in C minor 'Scandinavian'
                            Dvorak: Symphony No 6 in D major
                            Hamerik: Symphony No 1 in F major 'Symphonie Poetique'

Raff's 9th symphony is quite attractive in places, but rather uneven, the orchestration has real clarity though and the opening is quite captivating and there is even an anticipation or two of Mahler in this work.
                            Rott's Symphony really is a fascinating work, once again illness (in this mental) robbed musical history of a potentially great composer. This symphony seems to marry aspects of the seemingly incompatible Brucknerian and Brahmsian with clear anticipations of Mahler to create a sound world that is quite individual. The big theme in the finale is clearly modelled on Brahms's 1st symphony and the movement has an 'alpine' introduction like the Brahms, though to my ears it sounds rather like the first Nachtmusik in Mahler 7. I only pity the poor triangle player as Rott rather overdoes its use in places.
                            Tanayev's three movement 2nd symphony is perhaps a little less fresh than his youthful 1st symphony but is well constructed is lacking real memorability in the first two movements, the finale (the most obviously Russian movement) is more appealing.
                            No introduction needed of course for Tchaikovsky's 4th Symphony. I admire this work and think the 1st movement one of his most masterly symphonic creations and the slow movement one of his most moving. For me the finale just lets the work down somewhat with perhaps to easy a resolution of what the terrific 1st movement has set up.
                            What I said above in relation to Raff's 9th Symphony also largely applies to his 10th (in autumn time) the last of his season symphonies to be completed. Again this is not unattractive music and having now listened again to all of Raff's symphonies I do find that he merits an occasional outing in the concert halls. Though uneven, most of his symphonies have attractive and distinctive ideas and I have been grateful for the opportunity of hearing them and having them in my collection.
                            The British composer Frederick Cowen's 3rd Symphony is not without some merit and was indeed among the more popular British symphonies of the period. The 2nd movement 'Evening on the Fjord' is most poetic and by far the most attractive movement. The Finale though is weak and let down by rather uninteresting ideas.
                            Dvorak's 6th symphony is one of my favourite Dvorak works. I feel he has really finally found his 'symphonic feet' here. I just wish it was performed a bit more often.
                            Finally the 1st Symphony of the Dane Asgar Hamerik. He was a pupil of Berlioz and live in Baltimore in the USA from 1871-1898. The symphony is rather distinctive and shows a certain individuality (he was already 37 when it was completed), the opening in particular is quite captivating. The orchestration lets the work down somewhat though as it lacks real clarity and in the finale is rather thick.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                              • Nov 2010

The latest listening in my symphonic journey.

1880 (concluded)
                              Hans Huber: Symphony No 1 in D minor 'Tellsinfonie'
                              Klughardt: Symphony No 3 in D major
                              Paine: Symphony No 2 in A major
                              Rubinstein: Symphony No 5 in G minor
                              Stanford: Symphony No 2 in D minor 'Elegiac'
                              R Strauss: Symphony in D minor
                              Bruckner: Symphony No 6 in A
                              Lange-Muller: Symphony No 1 in D minor 'Autumn'
                              L Norman: Symphony No 3 in D minor
                              Zweers: Symphony No 1 in D major

Rather a lot of D minor symphonies here! The Swiss composer Hans Huber's 1st symphony is pleasant enough, with occasional touches of Schumann, the 1st movement is too long for its rather slender material and overall the symphony is rather unmemorable. The 3rd Symphony of August Klughardt is much better, this is a well written work whilst not overtly memorable it does have some touches on individuality as well as occasionally reminding me of Bruch and Raff.
                              The American John Knowles Paine's 2nd Symphony is not quite up to the standards of his fine 1st symphony, thoroughly Germanic in idiom, it is well written but unlike the 1st symphony doesn't stay in the memory and is sometimes a little long winded in places.
                              Anton Rubinstein 5th Symphony is one of his strongest works IMO. Here he absorbs elements of Tchaikovsky and the Russian Nationalist School to produce a distinctive work. The 1st movement at times has a pugnacious energy, the very Russian scherzo is the most appealing movement and the slow movement really is rather lovely, once again with many symphonies the finale lets the work down with material of less distinction. But still a symphony worth investigating.
                              Stanford's 2nd Symphony again shows a certain individuality the ideas are distinctive and always clearly orchestrated. The influence of Beethoven can be heard in places, occasionally too much so, but still this is a fine work.
                              The Strauss D minor Symphony is a remarkable achievement for a composer in his mid-teens. Indeed in several places hints of the mature composer are already present even if much of the work, especially the scherzo and finale are heavily indebted to Mendelssohn & Schumann.
                              I find Bruckner's 6th Symphony to be one of his finest works and I always find it a rewarding work to listen too. The slow movement is among Bruckner's finest creations and never fails to move me.
                              The 1st Symphony of the Dane Peter Lange-Muller is delightfully charming. Beginning unexpectedly with a solo violin, the work is strongly influenced by folk elements and lightly scored with an appropriate freshness. The symphony and material may not seek to climb the greatest musical heights, but nevertheless this is an enjoyable work.
                              The 3rd Symphony of the Swede Ludvig Norman is strong stuff, here is a composer of some distinction, as I mentioned in relation to his 1st Symphony, his chamber music is giving an occasional airing on TTN on R3 and its about time that his Symphonies were too.
                              Finally the rather attractive 1st Symphony of the Dutch composer Bernhard Zweers. It is a relatively lightweight work, nop unappealing and with a pleasant slow movement.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                                • Nov 2010

The latest listening from my symphonic journey.

Bruch: Symphony No 3 in E
                                Fibich: Symphony No 1 in F major
                                Gernsheim: Symphony No 2 in E flat major
                                Glazunov: Symphony No 1 in E major
                                Parry: Symphony No 1 in G major
                                1883 (beginning)
                                Arensky: Symphony No 1 in B minor
                                Brahms: Symphony No 3 in F major
                                Bruckner: Symphony No 7 in E
                                Hamerik: Symphony No 2 in C minor

The Bruch 3rd symphony I find to be a delightful work and should be heard more often in this country, the ideas though they fall just short of real memorability, are distinctive and have a certain individuality, one idea in the finale almost achieves real distinction. The orchestration is fresh and allows the ideas to be heard to good advantage. I enjoyed hearing it again.
                                The 1st Symphony of Zdenek Fibich starts off most promisingly. The 1st movement has a real symphonic sweep and momentum with some lovely horn writing and again a certain individuality. The rest of the symphony sadly doesn't live up to the promise of the 1st movement. the scherzo is quite attractive, but the slow movement is rather unmemorable and the finale lacks the sweep and momentum of the 1st movement with a weak scalic idea.
                                Gernsheim's 2nd Symphony has many attractive features most notably the enticing scherzo, he largely avoids being too influenced by Brahms until the finale, who's main idea is perhaps a little too close (including orchestration) to the 'big tune' in Brahms's 1st Symphony finale.
                                MB's are probably aware that I'm a Glazunov admirer. His 1st Symphony completed in his mid-teens is a remarkable achievement and shows what real talent he had. Balakirev and the influence is very strong, and the young Glazunov successfully absorbs key elements of the Russian Nationalists to produce a work of real confidence and memorability.
                                Parry's 1st Symphony is a highly competent piece of craftsmanship. The 1st movement shows a confident composer that has largely already found a language that really does have a distinctive voice. If the slow movement is less interesting it still doesn't detract from a work that is as good as many others of the period.
                                Arensky's 1st Symphony is again a work of confidence, Tchaikovsky is the strongest influence, but some of the ideas are distinctive and quite memorable even if on occasion Arensky overstates himself and becomes somewhat rhetorical. Still this is a symphony that we should hear more of.
                                Brahms's 3rd Symphony is for me the least my least favourite of the 4. However I have to admit today, following it with the score again, my opinion has been raised somewhat and there are some very forward looking passages and some really haunting writing, the coda of the slow movement really struck me today. I still think the 1st movement needs to be taken quicker the 6/4 time signature still feels like it should be taken in a swinging 2 in a bar.
                                Bruckner's 7th is a magnificent work, one of my favourite Bruckner symphonies, with that glorious slow movement. The work has a real 'glow' that is quite breathtaking.
                                Finally Asgar Hamerik's 2nd Symphony. There are plenty of symphonic gestures here, especially in the 1st movement but a lot of the writing is rather empty. The slow movement is somewhat better, though for me the work struggles to maintain interest through its 40 minute duration.

Comment

Working...
                                X