X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cockney Sparrow
    • Jan 2014

Naxos Music Library
    In post #16 above I point out anyone can join the Barbican Library. In #21 some suggestions as to searching for recordings. NML is an astonishing resource - particularly , if you can get it via your library etc. It streams at 128kbs via Library access and 320kbs by paying for the higher quality as a subscriber .

References in recent weeks ("Building a Library" (BAL) , "What I am listening to" etc) have made me check NML for availability. Do I want another Missa Solemnis - and if I do, do I want Haitink's on BR Klassik? I can listen and decide. The BAL on Berlioz this morning prompted me to post:

BERNARD HAITINK : PORTRAIT
    LABEL LIST ----- BR-Klassik ----Initial "C" ----- "Choral and Orchestral Music - BEETHOVEN, L. van / BRUCKNER, A. / HAYDN, J. / MAHLER, G. (Bavarian Radio Chorus and Symphony, Haitink) (11-CD Box Set)"
    Beethoven "Missa Solemnis" Bruckner, Symphony No. 5, Symphony No. 6, HAYDN (The Seasons), (The Creation).
    Mahler, Symphony No. 3, Symphony No. 4, Symphony No. 9
    Label: BR-Klassik Catalogue No.: 900174

Schwanengesang
    - Werner Gura
    Harmonia Mundi ----- Initial "S" --- Page 4 - " SCHUBERT, F.: Schwanengesang / Goethe Lieder (Gura, Berner)"
    HMC901931
    (Or on "Advanced search" tab - Harmonia Mundi label, Gura, quite a number of recordings)

SCHUBERT, F.: Schwanengesang / BRAHMS, J.: 4 Ernste Gesänge (Quasthoff, Zeyen)
    Label: Deutsche Grammophon
    Catalogue No.: 00028947103028
    Advanced Search (from grey ring menu) - "Catalogue Search" tab  00028947103028

WEBER, C.M. von: Overtures / Symphonies Nos. 1 and 2 / Horn Concertino, Op. 45 (Halstead, Hanover Band, Goodman)
    Label: Nimbus
    Catalogue No.: NI7062-63
    Release Date: 1988

BERLIOZ
    In the Rec Review Building a Library on Berlioz - 16 Feb 2019 - Nelson's "Les Troyens" was selected as a preferable recording. Must read reviews on Amazon in detail - they seem to be better than the usual run of reviews (search all the reviews). Question is, do I add to (but never displace) the Veasey - Vickers - Colin Davis - Philips recording, always supplemented by Gibson / Baker extracts. Well, the Nelson can be found on Naxos Music Lib as follows :
    BERLIOZ, H.: Works (Complete)*** (Baton, Bernstein, Boult, Dondeyne, Frémaux, M. Jansons, Martinon, Muti, Norrington, Plasson, Previn)
    Label: Warner Classics (Initial "B", page 8).
    Catalogue No.: 190295519414
    Although Nelson isn't headlined as a conductor, there is a PDF BOOKLET for download which specifies he is conducting Benvenuto C. Les Troyens and Beatrice and Benedict.
    *** NOTE - Amazon reviews detail how this is not actually complete

ADDED 17/02/19 - Discussion of Colin Davis recordings
    BERLIOZ, H.: Symphonie fantastique
    Vienna Philharmonic, Colin Davis
    Label: Decca Catalogue No.: 00028947892953

London Symphony Orch , Colin Davis
    Label: Decca Catalogue No.: 00028944229028

BERLIOZ, H.: Symphonie fantastique / RAMEAU, J.-P.: Hippolyte et Aricie (excerpts) (Swedish Radio Symphony, D. Harding)
    Label: Harmonia Mundi Catalogue No.: HMC902244DI

Added 21/02:
    HAYDN, J.: Symphony No. 83 / BERLIOZ, H.: Symphonie fantastique (South West German Radio Symphony, Barbirolli) (1969)
    Label: ICA Classics
    Catalogue No.: ICAC5105
    Added 11/03:
    TCHAIKOVSKY, P.I.: String Quartets Nos. 1-3 and String Sextet (Souvenirs de Florence) (M. Rostropovich, H. Talalyan, Borodin Quartet) (1957, 1965)
    Label: Urania Records
    Catalogue No.: WS121.321

MAHLER, G.: Symphonies (Complete) / Orchestral Songs (Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Haitink)
    Decca Catalogue No.: 00028948348824 Release Date: 01 March 2019

BEETHOVEN - Norrington
    Whilst looking on the Erato label pages I also spotted these:
    Erato - Parlophone
    BEETHOVEN, L. van: Symphonies / Concertos (Tan, London Classical Players, Norrington)
    Cat No 5099908342355 or label - "B" page 7
    Last edited by Cockney Sparrow; 11-03-19, 18:02.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
      • Jan 2014

Today – discussions on other threads of two boxed sets
      https://www.for3.org/forums/forum/cl...ser-7-bruckner
      Bruckner Indispensable recordings:
      Originally posted by smittims View Post
      Yes, I did mean 1954 for the Furtwangler 8th. Orfeo did an excellent remastering for their 2012 18-disc box of Furtwangler's Austrian Radio tapes. It includes a VPO performance of Furtwangler's second symphony, arguably better than his DG studio recording, and the complete 1954 S. Matthew Passion , issued in abridged form by EMI in the 1990s.

This set appears to be nla as a CD set. It is available at NML, with back cover image and PDF booklet to download. Find it under:
      LABEL: O -> Orfeo -> F -> on the page - Furtwangler - and there it is, the 18 CD Box set.

https://www.for3.org/forums/forum/cl...solomons-haydn
      Haydn Symphonies – Derek Solomons
      Originally posted by MickyD View Post
      Just finished the 18th and last disc - one regret is the lack of even just a few programme notes on each of the symphonies, but the box is surely one of the happiest purchases I have made in the last few years

The Sony Box set is available to buy in CD form.
      In NML - by (advanced) searching “Haydn” “Derek Solomons” “Sony Classical” in the relevant box it will bring up seven sets containing the same symphonies as in the current all encompassing set under discussion. Like most of the large companies' back catalogue, in streaming and here NML services, no PDFs or back cover image. Useful for try before you buy, etc.

(Incidentally, just be clear the Solomons recordings are not the complete Haydn symphonies).

On Edit 10 August: after Micky D's post, I've slightly altered the wording to make it clearer where I am referring to the recordings on Naxos ML.
      Last edited by Cockney Sparrow; 10-08-24, 10:16.

Comment

• MickyD
        • Nov 2010

To be clear, I bought the Solomons set in CD format. The booklet really is not good enough for the price asked for the set... if it were at Brilliant Classics prices I would understand.
        Happily I have the excellent notes for each of the symphonies in the Hogwood boxes.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
          • Jan 2014

I posted this summary of the NML on another thread. It may be useful to summarise NML and access options. I very infrequently post on this thread, now, given the quantity of recordings and new releases available; the home screen has been updated and more user friendly.

On this web page you can choose to access the NML for 15 minutes for free – and see the list of labels (although some of their catalogue contents may not be so extensive for some of the labels – particularly smaller, fringe record companies).

Using the 15 minutes for free offer you can choose any track and play it for 15 minutes, it says. And goes on to say:
          With Naxos Music Library you can:
          • Access over 2,992,104 tracks (more than 195,589 CDs) from close to 1,000 labels including the catalogues of Naxos, Chandos, Capriccio, Decca, Deutsche Grammophon, Hànssler Classic, Harmonia Mundi, Hyperion, LSO Live (the label of the London Symphony Orchestra), New York Philharmonic, Nonsuch, Ondine, RCA Records, RCO Live (label of the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra Amsterdam), Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Sony Classical, Warner Classics and Warner Classics - Parlophone (former EMI catalogue), just to name a few.
          • Listen to whole CDs, individuall tracks or create custom playlists - you decide.
          • Take your favourite music with you when you commute - access NML with our sophisticated mobile apps.
          • Hundreds of albums are added each month with music notes, cover artwork and composers' and artists' biographies.b
          I’ve waxed enthusiastically about NML - see above . Looking at my contributions, they do look scrappy.....

My local authority (which disposed of all its physical CDs) gives online access to NML as does the Barbican Music Library in the City of London- and many other local and academic library services. The quality – bit rate isn’t lossless but the sound is acceptable and useful for “try before you buy” at the very least.

With no library access, its possible to pay, choosing the quality (bit rate) desired. Many labels have pdf booklets (Chandos discs do) - the major labels for the more recent releases, but not often for box sets.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
            • Jan 2014

Today, there is a mention on a Prom thread - Bruckner: Symphony 5 Wand BBCSO at the Proms - ICA Classics DVD.
            For those into streaming and have it - the video is on Medici.tv.

For those who are members of the Barbican Music Library – Medici TV is available to stream, alongside Naxos Music Library (NML) also Naxos Video Library – classical videos.

And, I notice Naxos Music Library World (..World Music, I suppose), Naxos Music Library Jazz, are also available there.

https://col.ent.sirsidynix.net.uk/client/en_GB/default/?rm=LENDING+LIBRAR0%7C%7C%7C1%7C%7C%7C1%7C%7C%7Ctr ue (under “Music Resources”).

(I don’t live or work in the City of London, but took out membership – in person, I have to say).

Comment

Working...
            X