X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gradus
    • Nov 2010

Where are the trumpets?

There was an engaging Proms performance of Ravel's Spanish Rhapsody on R3 a couple of days ago from the BBC Phil under Juanjo Mena. It bowled me over but could anyone with a score tell me if the trumpets which produce a final Rhythmic flourish in the closing bar should be heard or simply disappear into the texture. Having listened to Martinon and the CSO they are plainly audible and to my ears sound like they should be, but with Monteux and the LSO they almost disappear. Trivial I know but what does Ravel's score show?
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

Here's what looks like a YouTube performance with the score.
    Boston SO/Ozawa
    I'll post it on that thread too.

Maurice Ravel (1875 - 1937), Rapsodie espagnole (1907)Performed by Boston Symphony Orchestra, Seiji Ozawa conductor00:00 - No. 1 Prélude à la nuit. Très modé...

Comment

• gradus
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
      Here's what looks like a YouTube performance with the score.
      Boston SO/Ozawa
      I'll post it on that thread too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rEc_vksrnc
      Thanks so much I never thought to search You Tube and my problem is solved. With triple fortes all round its not surprising that the trumpets don't stand out in some performances, but I think I still prefer that bright sound in the final rush.

Comment

• oliver sudden
        • Feb 2024

Just in case you weren’t already aware of the cornucopia that is IMSLP:

https://imslp.org/wiki/Rapsodie_espa...vel%2C_Maurice)

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Not Ravel and not a trumpet but a cornet. I am frequently disappointed when listening to recordings of Berlioz Sym Fantastique and the Cornet obbligato not being included in the 2nd movement. My favourite recording which includes it is Martinon but there are others.

Comment

• smittims
            • Aug 2022

I think Klemperer was the first; Colin Davis incorporated it in his second (Concertgebouw) recording, his best , I think.

Comment

• oliver sudden
              • Feb 2024

My first Fantastique was CO/Davis and I was constantly disappointed whenever a new-to-me recording failed to include it. I sharpened my ears to pick up its first entry (in a tutti) and I’m sure I rejected several recordings purely because of its absence. On the other hand of the two scores on my shelf, one of them (the old complete edition) has it in small print with the footnote that the editors recommend omitting it, and the other (the 1972 Bärenreiter complete edition) leaves it out completely!

I have a vague memory that it might have been written for a one-off occasion—perhaps a concert where Arban was appearing elsewhere on the programme?

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oliver sudden View Post

I have a vague memory that it might have been written for a one-off occasion—perhaps a concert where Arban was appearing elsewhere on the programme?
                Jean-Baptist Arban - mentioned here in a very interesting letter - https://www.metopera.org/discover/ar...abilia/lot-13/

Comment

• oliver sudden
                  • Feb 2024

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                  Jean-Baptist Arban - mentioned here in a very interesting letter - https://www.metopera.org/discover/ar...abilia/lot-13/
                  Just imagine, he might just as easily have added a saxophone obbligato for Sax himself to play! Now that would have been something…

The biggest ‘where are the trumpets’ moment in the repertoire for me is probably that bit near the beginning of the last movement of La Mer… and there I reckon the trumpet parts appear on record more often than not, even though they’re _not_ in the standard scores.

Comment

Working...
                  X