X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Would Bruno Walter’s recordings sound dated now?
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
      He's my other favourite conductor. Sadly, between them, they didn't record a complete Mahler cycle.
      Indeed, a No3 would have been interesting!

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
        I played in this symphony under Dr Bruno Walter in the Royal Festival Hall with the BBC Symphony Orchestra in 1955.

I think that the experience was so moving (and enlightening) that I really would have a problem listening to someone else conducting.

I wonder if there is any other message border, or musician who remembers that occasion?
        It was broadcast live and I still have it recorded off air (mono) somewhere, on open reel tape

(Fischer Dieskau sang the "Lieder Eines Fahrenden Gesellen" on the same broadcast)

HS

E and O E
        It seems that a recording of this performance is indeed to see the light of day. ICA Classics has announced the release of a recording in the Richard Itter collection of a 1955 BBCSO/Walter performance.

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
          It seems that a recording of this performance is indeed to see the light of day. ICA Classics has announced the release of a recording in the Richard Itter collection of a 1955 BBCSO/Walter performance.
          Thanks for this. The ICA website is hopeless and I can't find any information on forthcoming releases. Hope HS has seen this.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Once Was 4
            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
            He's my other favourite conductor. Sadly, between them, they didn't record a complete Mahler cycle.
            Somebody may have mentioned this link before and, if so, apologies for bringing it up again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC56kGOgscI

This must have been only a few weeks before Maazel died . To me, whatever one thinks about Maazel as a man (and who dosn't ) it shows what a superb musician that he was. And what an orchestra! One of music's 'great unknowns' which it would be marvellous to hear live. But he does throw odd looks at some points (I suspect that I know which section/s but may be wrong).

Above all Maazel realises that exitement does not equate with either speed or volume (on the other hand, one conductor for whom I played often at one time also used this maxim but he managed as a result to make everything boring )

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Another favourite conductor of mine (Sir JB) didn't complete a Mahler symphony cycle either!

Comment

• Barbirollians
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                Another favourite conductor of mine (Sir JB) didn't complete a Mahler symphony cycle either!
                There were some cracking live performances on BBC Legends though.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

Sir Georg Solti and the LSO for me with Abbado and the Berliners.
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

There were some cracking live performances on BBC Legends though.
                    I have recordings of 1-7 and 9 from various sources but I have not heard the Testament live Berlin recordings of 2 3 and 6. Has anyone heard any of these and can comment?

Comment

• gurnemanz
                      • Nov 2010

For quite a long time I only owned one recording which was Kubelik and the Bavarians. I now have several more - Walter (1961), Tennstedt, Bernstein, and an honorable mention for a fine rendition from the oft-neglected Herbert Kegel on Berlin Classics with the Dresden Philharmonic. (I have this box)

Comment

• Barbirollians
                        • Nov 2010

I have recordings of 1-7 and 9 from various sources but I have not heard the Testament live Berlin recordings of 2 3 and 6. Has anyone heard any of these and can comment?
                        Not essential in my opinion. The Legends Mahler 3 is rather more involving - the live Testament Mahler 6 from just days before the EMI sessions is also much more exciting .

If you buy them uou do get some lovely Janet Baker singing though .....

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Not essential in my opinion. The Legends Mahler 3 is rather more involving - the live Testament Mahler 6 from just days before the EMI sessions is also much more exciting .

If you buy them uou do get some lovely Janet Baker singing though .....
                          Thanks, Barbs, I'll stick with what I have got - I have the Legends 3 and the Stuttgart No2 (EMI Great conductors) and the Intaglio live with Meyer and HO!

Comment

• Barbirollians
                            • Nov 2010

Thanks, Barbs, I'll stick with what I have got - I have the Legends 3 and the Stuttgart No2 (EMI Great conductors) and the Intaglio live with Meyer and HO!
                            Stuttgart 2 is full of thrills and spills but it is much more of a performance than the Berlin one . I also recommend the Barbirollii Society Mahler 2 from 1960 Halle - made it into the final four on last year's BAL I recall.
                            Last edited by Barbirollians; 24-10-18, 00:23.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                              • Nov 2010

The ICA Classics Bruno Walter Mahler 1 that Hornspieler referred to playing in from 1955 has arrived and I shall be giving it a spin tomorrow.

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

The ICA Classics Bruno Walter Mahler 1 that Hornspieler referred to playing in from 1955 has arrived and I shall be giving it a spin tomorrow.
                                I note it is also available on QOBUZ. I must investigate.

Comment

Working...
                                X