X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
    I have ordered the Kubelik recording with the BBSO on Audite, reportedly better recorded and a better interp of the same forces mid 60s outing, which of was the highlight of that Kubelik set.
    I look forward to reading a report Richard .

Comment

• richardfinegold
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
      I look forward to reading a report Richard .
      It's a keeper. Very well recorded, the BR a much improved Orchestra in 1979 compared to their outing of a decade earlier. Kubelik has a real feel this Symphony, particularly for the bucolic I. The other movements move a more natural flow than in the earlier outing, and plenty of well paced excitement in the finale

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

It's a keeper. Very well recorded, the BR a much improved Orchestra in 1979 compared to their outing of a decade earlier. Kubelik has a real feel this Symphony, particularly for the bucolic I. The other movements move a more natural flow than in the earlier outing, and plenty of well paced excitement in the finale
        I was lucky enough to hear the Bavarisn RSO under Kubelik in this very work in London in June 1980. It was the only time I saw him and it very much sticks in the memory as a wonderful evening. The first half was the Mozart 41. What great concerts I went to in those days!
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Beef Oven!
          Ex-member
          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
          I was lucky enough to hear the Bavarisn RSO under Kubelik in this very work in London in June 1980. It was the only time I saw him and it very much sticks in the memory as a wonderful evening. The first half was the Mozart 41. What great concerts I went to in those days!
          Crikey! Another amazing concert that you’ve taken in, back in the day - wish I’d been to a tenth of the concerts you’ve been to!

Kubelik doesn’t get mentioned enough on here.

Comment

• richardfinegold
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
            I'm with Beefy-highly envious of Petrushka. Kubelik led a memorable Concert for me here in the late 70s, with Martinu Fescoes, Bartok Music For Strings, etc and the Symphonie Fantastique on one program

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
              • Jan 2014

There are two Kubelik Mahler 1 (both on Audite & Bav RSO) on Naxos Music Library, one is 1979 the date is not stated for the other. Details here :

Comment

• Barbirollians
                • Nov 2010

Took me two years to get this but I agree with every word - wonderful record right up at the top table of Mahler 1s.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                  • Sep 2012

Took me two years to get this but I agree with every word - wonderful record right up at the top table of Mahler 1s.
                  It’s a pity that there is no Kubelik BR 4th from the same time period, as it would have been interesting to compare to late 60s recording

Comment

• Barbirollians
                    • Nov 2010

It’s a pity that there is no Kubelik BR 4th from the same time period, as it would have been interesting to compare to late 60s recording
                    I must play that again with Elsie Morison very good in the finale.

Comment

• visualnickmos
                      • Nov 2010

If forced, I would say it's my 'favourite' Mahler 4th.... of the several recordings I have.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                        • Jan 2016

As it happens I listened to that a couple of days ago, my favourite 4th by a long way. But actually the 1st from Kubelík's original set might well be my favourite of that work too. Sounds like I need to hear the 1979 version. Is it on Qobuz? YES IT IS. That's tonight's listening sorted.

Comment

• Mal
                          • Dec 2016

Horenstein's Mahler 1 is in Scribendum's "The Art of Jascha Horenstein" box set along with his benchmark 3, an excellent 6, and some good Brahms, Strauss and Hindemith.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

Has anyone mentioned the Mahler 1/2 with the LSO/Solti? I was left in awe of this recording!
                            Don’t cry for me
                            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                              Has anyone mentioned the Mahler 1/2 with the LSO/Solti? I was left in awe of this recording!

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

I will soon be listening to the SDBR/Nézet-Séguin recording, the bargain BR boxed set having just been delivered.

Comment

Working...
                                X