Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mahlerei
    • Jun 2015

A real surprise for me was Tennstedt's live LPO performance (28 January 1990) on BBC Legends. Very taut and electric; no sign of the self-indulgence that mars his live Resurrection. I seem to remember a DVD of the First with the Chicago Symphony that was pretty good too.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

"Blumine" used to be my password for nearly everything.

(Don't get any ideas - I haven't used it for years.)

Comment

• visualnickmos
        • Nov 2010

Hello Cloughie

Thanks for clearing that up. I just read on t'internet about the cuts - that does seem incredible..... I wonder if that would pass muster these days?
        Last edited by visualnickmos; 17-02-16, 12:26.

Comment

• makropulos
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          A pedant writes: Mahler's First Symphony never contained Blumine. The First Symphony was a recasting and re-orchestration of 4 movements from the Symphonic Poem in two parts, "Titan", which itself was a rehash of an even earlier work (see Roehre archive for more details). The First never had the sobriquet "Titan" applied to it by Mahler either. However, you are, as far as I am aware, quite right in suggesting that the NPO/Morris recording is the only recording of 'Titan', even if wrongly described as Mahler's First.

Oops. I had thought that the Netherlands Symphony Orchestra / Jan Willem de Vriend recording of "Titan" was a mix of Blumine and the later orchestration of the other 4 movements, however, this suggests otherwise.

Norrington also shoves Blumine into the place it occupied in "Titan", but with the other 4 movements taken from the later First Symphony,
          Have you heard Ole Kritstian Ruud and the Norköpping Symphony Orchestra on Simax PSC1150?

The track listing and booklet notes suggest that this is another recording of the real Titan, but I've not heard it yet.

Comment

• gurnemanz
            • Nov 2010

If it's Mahler season again, I will get in with the first CD I ever bought: Haitink Mahler 4, in the same shop and at the same time as I bought my first CD player. (I cunningly realised that there was not much point in having a CD player with nothing to play on it).

Comment

• Richard Barrett
              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
              just in case this has passed anybody by, here is Eschenbach and the Orchestre de Paris performing the symphonies complete.

http://www.christoph-eschenbach.com/mahler/
              I just listened to the first movement of the Fourth... I'm surprised this has been made available with such shallow and muffled sound, what a shame.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                "Blumine" used to be my password for nearly everything.
                (Don't get any ideas - I haven't used it for years.)
                As in "I can't remember my blumine password"?
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ahinton
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                  As in "I can't remember my blumine password"?
                  !!!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
                    Have you heard Ole Kritstian Ruud and the Norköpping Symphony Orchestra on Simax PSC1150?

The track listing and booklet notes suggest that this is another recording of the real Titan, but I've not heard it yet.
                    That looks (and, from the samples on Amazon, sounds) interesting - I might just get this recording (hmmm - "Used: £9:53; New £9:54" - decisions, decisions!)

Many thanks, makka

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by makropulos View Post

Don't think I have heard that, but this thread led me to do a bit of searching. The most interesting result has been this:

Which I have duly ordered from an amazon.co.uk marketplace vendor, having first sampled snippets via QOBUZ.

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                        Hello Cloughie

Thanks for clearing that up. I just read on t'internet about the cuts - that does seem incredible..... I wonder if that would pass muster these days?
                        Probably not, but all those years ago I didn't know any different - perhaps I'd listen to it now and not really bother - Mahler's finale does ramble on a little (Did I really say that - they're sublime!)

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                          Ex-member
                          • Sep 2013

Don't think I have heard that, but this thread led me to do a bit of searching. The most interesting result has been this:

Which I have duly ordered from an amazon.co.uk marketplace vendor, having first sampled snippets via QOBUZ.
                          Very interesting. I have duly found it on Apple music, so it's on my playlist for later.

Comment

• Hornspieler
                            Late Member
                            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                            My personal fave is the Horenstein that Barbs mentioned, but I am very fond of Walter, Ancerl, MTT....come to think of it, I don't know Ia version that doesn't have something recommendable.
                            I played in this symphony under Dr Bruno Walter in the Royal Festival Hall with the BBC Symphony Orchestra in 1955.

I think that the experience was so moving (and enlightening) that I really would have a problem listening to someone else conducting.

I wonder if there is any other message border, or musician who remembers that occasion?
                            It was broadcast live and I still have it recorded off air (mono) somewhere, on open reel tape

(Fischer Dieskau sang the "Lieder Eines Fahrenden Gesellen" on the same broadcast)

HS

E and O E

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

As have I.

(Curious factlet occurring to me from reading the Amazon reviews - the final revision of the First Symphony [which led, among other things, to a four-movement work with the only one of two exposition repeats in his symphonies, and a scherzo followed by a slow movement] occured in 1906; the same year in which Mahler made his last-known written comments on the movement order of the Sixth [the only other of his Symphonies with an Exposition repeat] . Make of that what'ee will - I know I am! )
                              Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 17-02-16, 15:31. Reason: Missing phrase added

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
                                I played in this symphony under Dr Bruno Walter in the Royal Festival Hall with the BBC Symphony Orchestra in 1955.

I think that the experience was so moving (and enlightening) that I really would have a problem listening to someone else conducting.

I wonder if there is any other message border, or musician who remembers that occasion?
                                It was broadcast live and I still have it recorded off air (mono) somewhere, on open reel tape

(Fischer Dieskau sang the "Lieder Eines Fahrenden Gesellen" on the same broadcast)

HS
                                You have mentioned this enviable experience before, Hs - I so hope that a recording becomes available to general public.

(The only time I've ever played in it, it was a student orchestra with a student conductor - invigorating as that was, I can't imagine it begins to compare!)

Comment

Working...
                                X