X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    Many thanks for this, Bryn - my own copy also arrived yesterday, and, from a run-through to check the disc wasn't flawed, I was attracted by the brisk, "youthful"* approach and tantalised by the frequent "tweaks" in my expectations. Damn good recorded sound, too - highly recommended: demonstrated that the earlier version is completely successful in its own terms.
    My copy arrived on Thursday and agree with your comments. There are a few places where I wish Mahler had stuck to this version, particularly in the finale. I shall be playing this often.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
      My copy arrived on Thursday and agree with your comments. There are a few places where I wish Mahler had stuck to this version, particularly in the finale. I shall be playing this often.
      Same here - and particularly in the finale.

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
        Same here - and particularly in the finale.
        Yes, I'm thinking especially here of the two repeated episodes where the strings seem to be having a bit of a battle. I'll try and find a timed reference but will hazard a guess you will know where I mean. Mahler may well have filled in the orchestration of the passage in question in the final version as he possibly thought the violins were too exposed. In actual fact, it works perfectly.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
          Ex-member
          • Sep 2013

Yes, I'm thinking especially here of the two repeated episodes where the strings seem to be having a bit of a battle. I'll try and find a timed reference but will hazard a guess you will know where I mean. Mahler may well have filled in the orchestration of the passage in question in the final version as he possibly thought the violins were too exposed. In actual fact, it works perfectly.
          There were several places, including the last chord! Give me a timed reference, when you get the chance.

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

There were several places, including the last chord! Give me a timed reference, when you get the chance.
            Listening again tonight it's struck me just how prominent the violins are in the rapid passage work in the finale but especially right after the initial outburst and from around the 8'25'' mark and following. The orchestration seems just a bit thinner in the 1893 version at these points allowing the violins to come across in full panic stricken mode. They are, of course, there in the final version but in every recording I know sound more covered in the general tumult. Also really do like the additional timpani roll at 6'32'' which startled me on first hearing but feels perfectly ok to my ears. Blumine fits into place perfectly well in this performance but can see why Mahler dropped it.

I probably haven't explained this very well but hope you get the gist.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
              Ex-member
              • Sep 2013

Listening again tonight it's struck me just how prominent the violins are in the rapid passage work in the finale but especially right after the initial outburst and from around the 8'25'' mark and following. The orchestration seems just a bit thinner in the 1893 version at these points allowing the violins to come across in full panic stricken mode. They are, of course, there in the final version but in every recording I know sound more covered in the general tumult. Also really do like the additional timpani roll at 6'32'' which startled me on first hearing but feels perfectly ok to my ears. Blumine fits into place perfectly well in this performance but can see why Mahler dropped it.

I probably haven't explained this very well but hope you get the gist.
              Thanks very much Petrushka, I will reference it all when I listen next. And I agree, the Blumine works very well in this performance.

Comment

• Alison
                • Nov 2010

I want this CD now. Good steer Bryn.

Comment

• Petrushka
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                  I want this CD now. Good steer Bryn.
                  I wouldn't hesitate, Alison, it's a superb recording and can't think how it escaped my notice. The booklet essay is very good on enumerating the differences between the 1893 and final version but anyone familiar with the work will hear them anyway. Some things I definitely prefer in 1893 such as the first fanfare being given to the horns instead of clarinets (as revised), the lack of repeats, the additional timpani roll at 6'32'' into the finale - why did Mahler delete this? - plus much else in the finale. Blumine fits like a glove in this performance while the (now) third movement is played with tremendous schwung.

Generally speaking, I steer clear of recordings offering different versions of much loved works but I'm glad I broke that rule with this CD.

Incidentally, I had to wait a bit longer for the disc to come from Amazon for which they sent one of their apologetic e-mails. It's clear that Forumites are responsible for the sudden run on this CD!

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

I wouldn't hesitate, Alison, it's a superb recording and can't think how it escaped my notice. The booklet essay is very good on enumerating the differences between the 1893 and final version but anyone familiar with the work will hear them anyway. Some things I definitely prefer in 1893 such as the first fanfare being given to the horns instead of clarinets (as revised), the lack of repeats, the additional timpani roll at 6'32'' into the finale - why did Mahler delete this? - plus much else in the finale. Blumine fits like a glove in this performance while the (now) third movement is played with tremendous schwung.

Generally speaking, I steer clear of recordings offering different versions of much loved works but I'm glad I broke that rule with this CD.

Incidentally, I had to wait a bit longer for the disc to come from Amazon for which they sent one of their apologetic e-mails. It's clear that Forumites are responsible for the sudden run on this CD!
                    ...and its increase in price!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                      ...and its increase in price!
                      What happened with the price?

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

What happened with the price?
                        Cheapest now £7.39 plus p&p - I think I saw it at £4.75 when first mentioned here.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                          Ex-member
                          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                          Cheapest now £7.39 plus p&p - I think I saw it at £4.75 when first mentioned here.
                          Cheers!

Comment

• Barbirollians
                            • Nov 2010

The LSO/Solti is .indeed marvellous . Very fresh , wonderfully recorded and a recording I imagine would be a thrilling introduction to Mahler for a neophyte young or old.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                              • Sep 2012

I have ordered the Kubelik recording with the BBSO on Audite, reportedly better recorded and a better interp of the same forces mid 60s outing, which of was the highlight of that Kubelik set.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

A live performance coming up in Swansea's magnificent Brangwyn Hall on 16 June - BBC NOW/Søndergård.

Comment

Working...
                                X