• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
    It is absolutely disgraceful and incompetent of the BBC that the overrun and premature ending of the broadcast on iPlayer still remains unfixed more than twenty-four hours after the broadcast.

(The BBC Complaints process is so cumbersome, I've just written to TTN instead.)
    But TtN is complete. It has the end of the Charlie Parker fest at the beginning, but it ends just after the hand-over to Breakfast.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ChrisBennell View Post
      Given that the missing end of the Bruckner is tagged onto the following R3 programme, I get the impression that the BBC chop their broadcast stream into programme segments based on the scheduled times for the programmes to begin and end, and without regard to the output content being complete for any programme. Maybe they use software to do it. I can't believe anyone there listens to what comes out! I had a similar problem with another R3 broadcast some months ago (a Prom concert I think) and got no reply at all to my complaint to the BBC. And the problem did not get fixed either. All highly unacceptable.
      Yes, it is very annoying when they fail to correct the faults even after being made aware of them. However, they do now have more time in which to get the sorted. Very often such truncations get sorted within hours of the broadcast. Not this time, however.

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        Yes, it is very annoying when they fail to correct the faults even after being made aware of them. However, they do now have more time in which to get the sorted. Very often such truncations get sorted within hours of the broadcast. Not this time, however.
        Perhaps because the performance took place on a Saturday evenng there are too few engineers to fix it until Monday morning. Sunday overtime is probably at double rate.

(Schuricht wth the VPO took 71 minutes, if it matters.)

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
          It is absolutely disgraceful and incompetent of the BBC that the overrun and premature ending of the broadcast on iPlayer still remains unfixed more than twenty-four hours after the broadcast.

(The BBC Complaints process is so cumbersome, I've just written to TTN instead.)
          Originally posted by Alain Maréchal View Post
          Perhaps because the performance took place on a Saturday evenng there are too few engineers to fix it until Monday morning. Sunday overtime is probably at double rate.
          I contacted them on this subject early today and received a commendably prompt response (around lunchtime) that "programme end times are tidied up every day" and that the problem should be resolved "by about tea time". I just gave it a try and it still expires before the end of the symphony...
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• kernelbogey
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            [...] that the problem should be resolved "by about tea time".
            Of course it all depends on when they have their tea.

Comment

• kernelbogey
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              But TtN is complete. It has the end of the Charlie Parker fest at the beginning, but it ends just after the hand-over to Breakfast.
              I beg your pardon, Bryn. Having just finished listening to the incomplete Bruckner 8 on TTN, and still in a bit of a , I misunderstood your post no 43.

I've had a bit of a lie-down since, and feel much better now.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

I think we may have been exchanging at cross purposes. By TtN, I was referring to Through the Night. I'm not quite sure what you intended by "TTN". The Bruckner 8th was a "Live in Concert" broadcast.

All the truncated programmes from Saturday night remain in that condition as of 08:30 Monday morning.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Yes - to clarify; if anyone wishes to hear the complete performance of Segerstam's idea of what the Bruckner Eighth should sound like, they need to go to the i-Player, find "Radio 3 in Concert" (recent episodes), then negotiate the i-Player to find "Between the Ears"(most recent episode) to capture the remaining bars of the Segerstam.

EDIT: Anyone wishing specifically to listen to "Between the Ears" might well end up wondering what on earth is going on for the first few minutes - not unlike what Bruckner enthusiasts had been thinking for the previous hour and a half.
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• marvin
                    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
                    I was there tonight and , amazingly , sitting right behind the very noisy booer . My wife and I think he was the only one in fact. He was very angry and shouted repeatedly "too slow" . It was a slow perf but the band really gave their all and I thought it tremendous . Despite what you may have heard at home many in the audience were standing and cheering . Leif seemed to find it all a bit amusing. The "gent" wouldn't shut up and I found myself saying to him "calm down mate it's only a bit of music." To which he replied something along the lines "It's Bruckner and I know about Bruckner".Fair point but maybe politer to at least acknowledge the efforts of the musicians. I thought Pogorelich earlier in the week was excitement enough but I've never experienced Bruckner rage before . More seriously -very interested to hear what others thought of what I would agree was a "magical "performance. What a night - I must get out more often .
                    Not Magical, rather a nightmare. I didn't know it was on and turned the radio on whilst washing up the supper plates. I didn't know who the conductor was but thought the tempi were absurd and made it unlistenable for me. Bruckner is a very difficult composer to direct and get right and Segerstam murdered it with his very idiosyncratic performance - I pitied the BBCSO for having to endure the process.

Comment

• Prommer
                      • Dec 2010

What was the matter with Bychkov?

He has this year conducted the 8th in Rome (with the RAI).

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                        • Jun 2014

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                        Anyone wishing specifically to listen to "Between the Ears" might well end up wondering what on earth is going on for the first few minutes - not unlike what Bruckner enthusiasts had been thinking for the previous hour and a half.
                        And whilst listening to the closing bars of Bruckner 8 alongside a picture of a heavily-pregnant woman, Brucknerians may be forgiven for suspecting that someone at the BBC was attempting to make a very rude point ... ?

Comment

• duncan
                          • Apr 2012

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          Anyone wishing specifically to listen to "Between the Ears" might well end up wondering what on earth is going on for the first few minutes - not unlike what Bruckner enthusiasts had been thinking for the previous hour and a half.

Segerstam's wikipedia entry states in his composition style: "... musical events interact flexibly in time". Which should have been a warning. His compositions are intended to be performed without a conductor. I think he should take his own advice.

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Saturday night's programmes now sorted on the iPlayer 'Listen Again' facility. No longer any need to jump to the following programme to hear the end of any of them.

Comment

• parkepr
                              • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
                              I was there tonight and , amazingly , sitting right behind the very noisy booer . My wife and I think he was the only one in fact. He was very angry and shouted repeatedly "too slow" . It was a slow perf but the band really gave their all and I thought it tremendous . Despite what you may have heard at home many in the audience were standing and cheering . Leif seemed to find it all a bit amusing. The "gent" wouldn't shut up and I found myself saying to him "calm down mate it's only a bit of music." To which he replied something along the lines "It's Bruckner and I know about Bruckner".Fair point but maybe politer to at least acknowledge the efforts of the musicians. I thought Pogorelich earlier in the week was excitement enough but I've never experienced Bruckner rage before . More seriously -very interested to hear what others thought of what I would agree was a "magical "performance. What a night - I must get out more often .

Didn't this also happen at the RFH a few years back with Osmo Vanska and the LPO doing Bruckner's 4th? I don't see the point in shouting out "Too slow"... do they expect the conductor to stop, turn round, acknowledge at that precise moment his (potentially) many years of studying the score and the composer were complete rubbish and press the fast forward button and finish the piece in record time?

Comment

• Flosshilde
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by duncan View Post

Segerstam's wikipedia entry states in his composition style: "... musical events interact flexibly in time". Which should have been a warning. His compositions are intended to be performed without a conductor. I think he should take his own advice.
                                He was on In Tune on Friday, & interesting.

(Note for Rafferty phobes - he wasn't presenting it, nor was SK. It was Ian Skelly)

Comment

Working...
                                X