• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Conchis
    Banned
    • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
    Goodness! That’s quite a sweeping statement! I will see if it’s music streamed

I see there looks like a rather interesting box set called Giulini in Vienna

I bought that last year at a record shop that has now sadly closed down. I bought it princiapally for the Bruckner, but it's all good.

Comment

• BBMmk2
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
      I bought that last year at a record shop that has now sadly closed down. I bought it princiapally for the Bruckner, but it's all good.
      Thanks for that Conchis. I see it has the Bruckner works that Richard Barrett mentioned are there as well as other top notch performances.
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Richard Barrett
        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
        This Giulini 8th is possibly even finer (magisterial!)
        I shall have to give that a listen for sure.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
          Ex-member
          • Sep 2013

I think I prefer the VPO version over the live BPO. They are both stellar of course. I think it may have something to do with the recording more than the performance. I find the strings and timpani much more compelling on the DG VPO CD, for example.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
            I think I prefer the VPO version over the live BPO. They are both stellar of course. I think it may have something to do with the recording more than the performance. I find the strings and timpani much more compelling on the DG VPO CD, for example.
            Yes indeed. In the VPO recording I have the impression that I'm hearing the finely graduated instrumental balance that Giulini imagined coming from the orchestra; in the Berlin recording, which I listened to some of last night, I'm not so sure about that.

Comment

• richardfinegold
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
              Today I've been listening to Giulini's VPO Bruckner 8 and 9... and quite honestly I don't really know why I've allowed myself to be distracted from these recorded performances by others which simply don't measure up to them. I will of course keep trying to find something else that is anywhere near this level, but so far I haven't. This is Bruckner's music as far as I'm concerned. Say what you will.
              I had just discovered the Giulini/VPO Ninth a few weeks ago and can only second your comments. Several other previously satisfactory 9ths in my collection are now completely superfluous. I will order the 8th
              My 9th is a Japanese issue that was going second hand on Amazon, made with some special disc materials. Not sure if that had anything to do with it but the sound is breathtaking.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                Ex-member
                • Sep 2013

An amazing live performance that I often come back to .....

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2011

I feel bound to mention Volkmar Andreae with the Wiener Symphoniker once more, recorded in 1953. It is swift and dramatic, vital and dynamic, but always finds time to sing out with that wonderful, older Viennese string sound, a sublimely instinctive, natural and cohesive Schubertian lyricism. It has things to tell us that few other performances have since, and I don't think I've ever heard a Scherzo with more compellingly infectious schwung and buoyancy. Snyder's M&A restoration is excellent.

Of especial interest too is the edition used: the 1892 first published version ed. Haslinger et al., almost certainly authentic though, offering Bruckner and Josef Schalk's last revisions, many of which are surprisingly audible, not least a diminuendo at the end of the 1st movement's last climax on those bare, baleful brasses! Really pulls you up the first time.
                  Knappertsbusch always used this edition, with to some extent a similarly volatile, Schubertian-Wagnerian approach, dramatic and songful. I do tend to prefer Andreae's greater directness, though.
                  Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 21-02-18, 18:26.

Comment

• Once Was 4
                    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                    I feel bound to mention Volkmar Andreae with the Wiener Symphoniker once more, recorded in 1953. It is swift and dramatic, vital and dynamic, but always finds time to sing out with that wonderful, older Viennese string sound, a sublimely instinctive, natural and cohesive Schubertian lyricism. It has things to tell us that few other performances have since, and I don't think I've ever heard a Scherzo with more compellingly infectious schwung and buoyancy. Snyder's M&A restoration is excellent.

Of especial interest too is the edition used: the 1892 first published version ed. Has linger et al., almost certainly authentic though, offering Bruckner and Josef Schalk's last revisions, many of which are surprisingly audible, not least a diminuendo at the end of the 1st movement's last climax on those bare, baleful brasses! Really pulls you up the first time.
                    Knappertsbusch always used this edition, with to some extent a similarly volatile, Schubertian-Wagnerian approach, dramatic and songful. I do tend to prefer Andreae's greater directness, though.
                    Have a listen to this!

Historic Stereo-Recording from 29.9.1944. Anton Bruckner, Symphony No.8 (8.Sinfonie) with Herbert v. Karajan and the Orchester der Berliner Staatsoper. 2009 ...

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Once Was 4 View Post
                      Rather special isn't it? I'm sure I have a recording of it somewhere. The first movement is missing. 1944. Karajan showing Furtwangler what he's up against!

Comment

• Barbirollians
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                        This Giulini 8th is possibly even finer (magisterial!):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bruckner-Sy.../dp/B002QFEE3Q
                        I agree.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                          I agree.
                          I remember seeing a TV programme with JB rehearsing I think the 7th?I thought my goodness, he knows what he wanted and he did!
                          Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                            Ex-member
                            • Sep 2013

I remember seeing a TV programme with JB rehearsing I think the 7th?I thought my goodness, he knows what he wanted and he did!
                            I don't think West Ham should have bought Davor Šuker, or at least not so late in his career .......

Comment

• Barbirollians
                              • Nov 2010

It was the Monitor documentary - still available on You Tube I think - 1960s Manchester and Salford look pretty grim.Fascinating programme including him whipping the RNCM Orchestra into passionate playing of part of Tchaikovsky 4.

Barbirolli's BBC Legends account of Bruckner 7 very much at one with that rehearsal extract.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                                Late Member
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                                I don't think West Ham should have bought Davor Šuker, or at least not so late in his career .......
                                Huh?
                                Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                                X