X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by smittims View Post
    I wonder if I'm alone in having difficulty understanding the disapproval of a musician's performances because of his political opinions. Freedom of opinion and freedom of speech were surely what we are suposed to be in favour of. When Otto Klemperer went back to Germany in 1946 they said 'our first oboe is not very good. We have a better one but he was a Nazi. Which would you prefer?' . Klemperer, whose career was ruined by the Nazis in 1933 and had to flee for his life, said 'the Nazi, of course'. And Yehudi Menuhin insisted in performing with Futwangler after 1945.

Webern was pro-Nazi too, but I don't think that makes his music rubbish. Maybe we have to decide if music is more important than politics. I'm sorry if this is crudely-put for some more sophisticated intellects here, but I don't think Reggie Goodall damaged the allied cause and I'd rather hear his Bruckner 8 than hear that he'd been 'cancelled' because of his politics.
    This is pretty much my view, too.

It's worth remembering that the Berlin Philharmonic gave concerts with Furtwangler in this country as early after the war as 1948.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• smittims
      • Aug 2022

And what wonderful concerts they were,as a newsreel of part of Brahms 4 reveals. The Vienna Opera came to Britain around the same time, as their theatre had beendestroyed , and their performances were universally praised. Are we sure ther were no ex-Nazis among them?

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
        • Apr 2014

Idly googling I came across this interview done by Leeds Student with Goodall in the 70’s . Featured also on Page 4 Captain Beefheart no less!
        Difficult to imagine a student newspaper featuring classical music now.

Comment

• oliver sudden
          • Feb 2024

And Yehudi Menuhin insisted in performing with Furtwangler after 1945.
          The Wikipedia page on Furtwängler is very much worth a read.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
            • Apr 2014

And what wonderful concerts they were,as a newsreel of part of Brahms 4 reveals. The Vienna Opera came to Britain around the same time, as their theatre had beendestroyed , and their performances were universally praised. Are we sure ther were no ex-Nazis among them?
            Just listening to Capriccio on R3 now -the Mondschein scene that closes the opera with that wonderful horn solo.How can music of such wondrous beauty be composed in such terrible circumstances? The ability of great artists to shut themselves off from reality Is extraordinary. Should we condemn them for that ? I don’t know …

Comment

Working...
            X