Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mandryka
    • Feb 2021

I'm very keen to see the booklet of the Nagano if anyone can share it.

Comment

• BillMatters
      • Mar 2018

Originally posted by smittims View Post
      No, but I did hear this 'original ' version years ago in the Bob Simpson days. I didn't like it, I'm afraid. It includes a fortissimo tutti ending to the first movement.

Does anyone remember the Radio 3 series 'A grand mysterious harmony' where they played all the versions of all the symphonies? Wjhat apoty Rdaio 3 doesn't do anything like that these days; but then we all know why. .
      I think it was Stephen Johnson who presented the programme, and it would be great to repeat it (or a new version with SJ) in this bicentenary year.

Comment

• Mandryka
        • Feb 2021

Goodall Bruckner 8.

A rather touching anecdote about the performance here

For years Reginald Goodall coached singers in his room at the Royal Opera House, having been openly derided by the music director, Georg Solti, as no longer being capable of live conducting. Then he emerged in 1968 to conduct a widely praised new English language production of Wagner’s The Mastersingers…

I only saw Goodall once, a Parsifal. He really had a cult following here, I have memories of talking to his followers in the queue for cheap amphi tickets at Covent Garden. Solti's bitchy remark in that article above, that he was not "capable of live conducting" is thought provoking in its way. IMO his Bruckner 8 isn't quite dead.

This comment which I found on amazon seems right to me

But Goodall offers something different - a sense of struggle, wonderment, uncertainty about the destination, which is surely part of the essence of Bruckner and especially of this uniquely disturbing symphony.

That comment reminds me of ideas about how to play Schubert's piano sonatas - Lonquich, Richter's 1961 Paris D840.

Comment

• smittims
          • Aug 2022

Thanks for that. I love that Goodall Bruckner 8. Few others get closer to the heart of the work , for me.

Comment

Working...
          X