• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
    Beef Oven - I'm not sure if you are among the Skrowaczewski admirers on the forum? Just wondered if you would consider adding his version to your comparisons (tis a noble exercise you are engaged in here....but I realise it may be an imposition!)

(The Oehms / Saarbrucken recording is avaiable on Naxos Music Library (Cat no OC217) (just updated my Naxos ML post).
    Hi Cockney Sparrow, I haven't heard much Skrowaczewski, just Bruckner 3. I shall get to his 8 along the way. It's not a noble exercise, it's just that at the moment I'm in the mood for Bruckner & Vivaldi. The first quarter of the year it was Mahler and most of last year it was Sibelius!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
      Just put on Furtwangler VPO 1944.

I was always very pleased with the sound quality on this disc, but having listened to quite a few very well recorded discs lately, I can hear that this is dated.

I'm listening to this again. The slow movement is astonishing. Recorded live, but without an audience for radio broadcast.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
        Ex-member
        • Sep 2013

Gürzenich Orchester Köln, Gunter Wand. Recorded live, 1971.

Downloaded from Qobuz last night for £3.99 16 Bit CD quality (also available there and on Amazon coupled with Brahms 2 (1958) & 4 (1960).

I only managed the first movement last night, it was very late, but I will say the sound quality is excellent. Will get my head and ears 'round it in due course.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
          Ex-member
          • Sep 2013

I've never done it either.......but

Bohm Tonhalle - Haas
          Karajan BPO 1957 - Haas
          Karajan BPO 1975 - Haas
          Karajan VPO - Haas
          Barbirolli Halle - Haas
          Goodall BBSO - Haas
          Thielemann Dresden - Haas
          Kubelik Bavarian RSO - Haas
          Asahina - Haas
          Barenboim BPO - Haas
          Boulez VPO - Haas
          Schuricht VPO - Haas
          Wand BPO - Haas
          Wand Köln - Haas

Celibidache MPO - Novak
          Chailly Concertgebouw - Novak
          Giuliani VPO - Novak
          Jochum BPO - Novak
          Jochum S Dresden - Novak
          Klemperer N Philharmonia - Novak
          Maazel BPO - Novak
          Tennstedt LPO - Novak
          Harnoncourt BPO - Novak

Various Furtwangler & Knappertsbusch that I don't have the energy to list - mainly Schalk, I think.

Wish list?

Van Zweden Nederlands RP - Novak
          Venzago Konzerhausorchester Berlin - Novak
          Giulini BPO 1984 (Testament) - Novak

Favourites?

Karajan VPO - Haas
          Celibidache - Novak
          Boulez VPO - Haas
          Bohm Tonhalle - Novak
          Asahina Osaka PO (today!!) - Haas

So in terms of my favourites, it's pretty evenly split between Haas and Novak

Looking through my list again, I see I have forgotten to list 2 Karl Bohm recordings. His studio VPO on DG and a live 1978 with the Tonhalle De Zurich on the Palexa label.

And to update, I have recently added:

Giuseppe Sinopoli, Dresden Staatskapelle on DG
          Gunter Wand, Gürzenich Orchester Köln on Acanta
          Gunter Wand, NDR Sinfonieorchester on RCA Victor
          Edward Van Beinum, Royal Concertgebouw, Amsterdam on Naxos (previously on Decca Eloquence et al).

About 34 in total, not even close to some people's total on this forum! (like Petrushka's 45!)

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

Looking through my list again, I see I have forgotten to list 2 Karl Bohm recordings. His studio VPO on DG and a live 1978 with the Tonhalle De Zurich on the Palexa label.

And to update, I have recently added:

Giuseppe Sinopoli, Dresden Staatskapelle on DG
            Gunter Wand, Gürzenich Orchester Köln on Acanta
            Gunter Wand, NDR Sinfonieorchester on RCA Victor
            Edward Van Beinum, Royal Concertgebouw, Amsterdam on Naxos (previously on Decca Eloquence et al).

About 34 in total, not even close to some people's total on this forum! (like Petrushka's 45!)
            Bernard Haitink isn't there at all! All of his recordings use Haas but latterly he has (for whatever reason) taken up Nowak.

Furtwangler is mostly Haas with a few tinkerings of his own while Knappertsbusch uses the Leinau 1892 edition in a 1951 BPO recording I have.
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Beef Oven!
              Ex-member
              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
              Bernard Haitink isn't there at all! All of his recordings use Haas but latterly he has (for whatever reason) taken up Nowak.

Furtwangler is mostly Haas with a few tinkerings of his own while Knappertsbusch uses the Leinau 1892 edition in a 1951 BPO recording I have.
              I don't have any Haitink, but I've been eyeing one on Philips. Is that worth getting?

Comment

• Alison
                • Nov 2010

I don't have any Haitink, but I've been eyeing one on Philips. Is that worth getting?
                I prefer the one on the RCO label.

I'll leave it to Pet to adjudicate on the three Philips versions.

Then there is the Dresden version on Profil - more beefy somehow!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                  Ex-member
                  • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                  I prefer the one on the RCO label.

I'll leave it to Pet to adjudicate on the three Philips versions.

Then there is the Dresden version on Profil - more beefy somehow!
                  I'm still none the wiser!

Comment

• Alison
                    • Nov 2010

The Philips versions are 1970 Concertgebouw, 1982 Concertgebouw and 1995 Vienna Philharmonic. Dates approximate.

I need to relisten before giving my verdict. I don't much care for the scherzo in the otherwise noble early eighties reading.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post

Furtwangler is mostly Haas with a few tinkerings of his own
                      Haitink is following the example of Furtwangler, who also opted for Nowak in his later years - there's even a recording:

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                        Ex-member
                        • Sep 2013

The Philips versions are 1970 Concertgebouw, 1982 Concertgebouw and 1995 Vienna Philharmonic. Dates approximate.

I need to relisten before giving my verdict. I don't much care for the scherzo in the otherwise noble early eighties reading.
                        I'll check them out on Spotify etc. I've always liked BH and I've seen him conduct a few times, including the BPO (I really wanted him to take over the BPO from HvK, back in the day)But for some reason I don't have too many of his recordings. His Bruckner 4 & 7 on Decca are favourites (and of course RVW, DSCH, Mahler). The first Schuman symphonies I bought donkeys years ago were BH's on Philips.

Comment

• Petrushka
                          • Nov 2010

The 1995 VPO recording is terrific (I attended a London performance by them the same month as this recording) but if I was going to recommend just one Haitink recording of Bruckner 8 it would be the 2002 live account with the Dresden Staatskapelle on the Profil label.

Comment

• Petrushka
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                            Haitink is following the example of Furtwangler, who also opted for Nowak in his later years - there's even a recording:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BRUCKNER-No.../dp/B002YNCO1Y
                            I have that recording on the Andante label. The sound is utterly dreadful even for 1954.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                              Banned
                              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BRUCKNER-No.../dp/B002YNCO1Y

It's very unlikely that the 10/04/54 Andante/Arkadia (Andante gets the date wrong) Furtwangler 8th uses the Nowak edition, as this was only published in 1955, after the conductor's death.
                              Berky lists only modified Haas or the 1892 edition for Furtwangler's many issues, categorising this 10/4/54 one as the 1892 Bruckner-Schalk revision, ed. Haslinger-Schlesinger-Lienau. This was the work's first publication. There's not much difference to the Nowak 1890 score - see Griegel for the details. Note too, that Bruckner rejected a Schalk suggestion for a large cut to the finale. In this context, see Griegel's notes to the 3rd and 5th Symphonies.
                              With friends like these......

But note that, with respect to the comments in the last paragraph about first published editions, Korstvedt, Marques, et al would now consider the 1896 edition of the 5th, with the Schalk-truncated finale, as almost certainly inauthentic.
                              Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 02-05-16, 06:48.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                                Ex-member
                                • Sep 2013

Rather than go ahead and buy right away, I'm listening to Bernard Haitink's 1995 Vienna Philharmonic Bruckner 8 (Philips Duo) on Apple Music.

Comment

Working...
                                X