Why on earth is there a separate forum for Bruckner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ein Heldenleben
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

I was actually feeling sad for cloughie .
    Ah got it. Wagner more or less thought the symphony couldn’t do much more after Beethoven 9 - though of course one never be sure how much this was a convenient rationalisation of his musical preferences. Those “superb massive symphonies “ were never going to happen. I’m also not wholly convinced by the Ring as Symphony arguments. Though it kind of works ….

Comment

• eighthobstruction
      • Nov 2010

....blooming pop music....is there a pseuds corner in any of the Classical music magazines where this thread will be parodied....Ed Rearden should get at least a couple of mentions...

Ed: sorry forgot to put emoji on
      Last edited by eighthobstruction; 11-09-24, 22:39.
      bong ching

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

Ah got it. Wagner more or less thought the symphony couldn’t do much more after Beethoven 9 - though of course one never be sure how much this was a convenient rationalisation of his musical preferences. Those “superb massive symphonies “ were never going to happen. I’m also not wholly convinced by the Ring as Symphony arguments. Though it kind of works ….
        A few writers have argued for considering Wagner's operas, or music dramas as he preferred to call them, as gigantic symphonies full of cross referencing thematic structures built on their leitmotifs. One - I can't now remember which - even suggested that they could be appreciated as such if the vocal melodies were removed and only the orchestral parts performed. I think possibly one reason why they don't hang together or at any rate register with the listener as well symphonically as Beethoven's symphonies is due to the protracted dimensions of their work outs: one can lose ones way in the maze of vast distances to be travelled. Maybe it was this that initially attracted the next-but-one generation in the Austro-Germanic legacy to see Brahms as providing answers; I'm thinking of Zemlinsky here in particular, and following him Schoenberg - both being attracted equally to Brahms's thematic way of working - development "from the off" rather than siloed into self-contained sections, and more subtly inter-referencing than as practised by Schumann and Mendelssohn - and to Wagner's increased chromaticisation of the harmonic language in "Tristan" and "Parsifal". In both latter cases Max Reger was something of a pivotal transitional figure in the interim.

Comment

• smittims
          • Aug 2022

There's also (maybe anecdotal) evidence that Wagner told a friend after Parsifal he had had enough of stage works and planned to write a symphony, but didn't manage to start it before his death. There is of course his early Symphony in C , but that is I think unrepresentative of his mature style.

Comment

• Anastasius
            • Mar 2015

Listening to Bruckner is like a migraine
            Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

• richardfinegold
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Actually, I quite like his Symphony No. 0 ('Die Nullte'). Unfortunately, he then proceeded to produce a number of progressively longer versions of it. I think he may possibly have been the subject of more discussions - some of them heated - on the Forum than any other composer.
              I think the Zero Symphony was actually written between 1 and 2

Comment

• LMcD
                • Sep 2017

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post

I think the Zero Symphony was actually written between 1 and 2
                Thank you. I must get round to listening to the Double Zero (the good news being that it doesn't last that long and there's only one edition! )

Comment

• Sir Velo
                  • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Anastasius View Post
                  Listening to Bruckner is like a migraine
                  Or as Peter Stadlen once gnomically commented: "Surely we have a right to be bored by Bruckner".

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post

Or as Peter Stadlen once gnomically commented: "Surely we have a right to be bored by Bruckner".
                    Whenever Bruckner is featured on Through The Night, I sleep soundly.

Comment

• LMcD
                      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                      Is this even worth worrying about??
                      I would say not.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cria View Post
                        The only even passable thing Bruckner wrote was Hotel du Lac
                        I stayed there once. Excellent. Not sure it was the same HduL, though.
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

I stayed there once. Excellent. Not sure it was the same HduL, though.
                          Locarno? Hmm, it's all a bit Swiss though. And some Treaties that didn't really stand up. But some tasty rooms in the Foreign Office...

Comment

• BillMatters
                            • Mar 2018

For those, like me, who actually like Bruckner this from the Bruckner Journal.

For those who have not been collecting the Poschner recordings as they have been released, the "complete" collection has been released today.
                            It is available on HDTracks in hi-def for the LOW PRICE of $20.98!
                            Add discount code "ListenHD25" for an additional 25% off...
                            That's A LOT of Bruckner for under $16!

Comment

Working...
                            X