Why on earth is there a separate forum for Bruckner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

It would certainly be more consistent and logical for them to be 'relegated'.
    But I'm not sure how easy a shift is for our kind hosts (with more permissions than I have).
    When our friend ferneyhoughgeliebte (wish he'd come back, by the way) did all the hard work in bringing these composer threads about, he did explain why Bruckner and Mahler were given a sub-forum of their own and, from memory, I think it was partly due to the huge undertaking in trawling through threads to amalgamate the posts and partly due to the large number of posts on both composers being done at the time. They were therefore made easier for Forumites to locate.

Over time, posts on both composers have naturally diminished somewhat but I really don't think it's worth bothering about now. Let sleeping dogs lie is my view.

EDIT: I see that Andrew Slater has answered the question more thoroughly while I was doing this one!
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Pulcinella
      Host
      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post

When our friend ferneyhoughgeliebte (wish he'd come back, by the way) did all the hard work in bringing these composer threads about, he did explain why Bruckner and Mahler were given a sub-forum of their own and, from memory, I think it was partly due to the huge undertaking in trawling through threads to amalgamate the posts and partly due to the large number of posts on both composers being done at the time. They were therefore made easier for Forumites to locate.

Over time, posts on both composers have naturally diminished somewhat but I really don't think it's worth bothering about now. Let sleeping dogs lie is my view.

EDIT: I see that Andrew Slater has answered the question more thoroughly while I was doing this one!
      My mistake, and therefore my apologies.
      Since I don't venture into either sub-forum, I'd misunderstood Andrew's comments about all the threads: I hadn't realised they were there.
      So, given this, I can perfectly well understand the arrangement and the status quo argument.

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

My mistake, and therefore my apologies.
        Since I don't venture into either sub-forum, I'd misunderstood Andrew's comments about all the threads: I hadn't realised they were there.
        So, given this, I can perfectly well understand the arrangement and the status quo argument.
        No apologies needed. The composer threads didn't start with the Forum and it meant a lot of hard work to set them up and bring relevant threads on to the respective composer thread. I'm not sure if this preceded your joining the Forum but it certainly preceded the OP joining so perhaps I should excuse Mandryka's bringing this up.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Sir Velo
          • Oct 2012

Let's bear in mind that none of the three "B"s have even so much as a topic assigned to them in the main Composers' sub forum. So unless they've all been relegated to the third division I would humbly suggest that there is no correlation to relative worth!

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

My memory of the history is that one member, long departed, asked for a separate sub-forum to be set up and admin obliged. Events seems to have taken over.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Why on earth is there a separate forum for bruckner?

Because his music asks a lot of people.

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                Why on earth is there a separate forum for bruckner?
                ... well, to make room for Carragan, Nowak, Haas, Doblinger, Orel, Cohrs, Haslinger-Schlesinger-Lienau, Phillips, Hawkshaw, Gutmann, Korstvedt, Rättig, Oeser, Wöss, Röder, Grandjean, Brosche for a start...

Last edited by vinteuil; 10-09-24, 19:11.

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

There are thirty pages of seperate forums for individual composers each with about 10 threads per page so that’s approx 300 individual composers singled out as “special,”:
                  No it’s not, it is 30 - was a hyphen or other punctuation mark omitted, Held? - You’re right though I think Bruckner has been analysed to the hilt and I think Iike his music but I tend to just listen rather than analyse whether it is Elbow or Haas I am hearing!
                  Last edited by cloughie; 10-09-24, 20:52.

Comment

• LMcD
                    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by cria View Post
                    The only even passable thing Bruckner wrote was Hotel du Lac
                    Actually, I quite like his Symphony No. 0 ('Die Nullte'). Unfortunately, he then proceeded to produce a number of progressively longer versions of it. I think he may possibly have been the subject of more discussions - some of them heated - on the Forum than any other composer.
                    Last edited by LMcD; 10-09-24, 20:48.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by cloughie View Post

No it’s not, it is 30 - was a hyphen or other punctuation mark omitted, Held? - You’re right though I think Bruckner has been analysed to the hilt and I think Iike his music but I tend to just listen rather than analyse whether it is Elbow or Haas I am hearing!
                      I thought there were 30 pages of threads with each page having at least 10 names on it . That was an estimate - the names stretch from Abrahamson to Zorzor - neither of whom I’ve ever heard.
                      The only thread I started was the Wagner one - who incredibly didn’t have one even though he is a more significant composer than Mahler and Bruckner (and I’m pretty sure they would have agreed with me. )

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

I thought there were 30 pages of threads with each page having at least 10 names on it . That was an estimate - the names stretch from Abrahamson to Zorzor - neither of whom I’ve ever heard.
                        The only thread I started was the Wagner one - who incredibly didn’t have one even though he is a more significant composer than Mahler and Bruckner (and I’m pretty sure they would have agreed with me. )
                        …and if he had not been preoccupied by such major operas just think what superb massive symphonies he could have put his talents towards.

Comment

• LMcD
                          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by cloughie View Post

…and if he had not been preoccupied by such major operas just think what superb massive symphonies he could have put his talents towards.
                          Sadly, his use of the phrase 'Gesamtkunstwerk' in a couple of essays makes it clear that he was largely unwilling or unable to contemplate the composition of non-operatic works. .

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

That was an estimate - the names stretch from Abrahamson to Zorzor - neither of whom I’ve ever heard.
                            There is arguably a case for confining the 'Composers' subforum to (other) composers who could remain undiscussed/unknown. The "great" (tbd) composers might have their own threads regularly any time something topical arose.
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Sadly, his use of the phrase 'Gesamtkunstwerk' in a couple of essays makes it clear that he was largely unwilling or unable to contemplate the composition of non-operatic works. .
                              It’s more that he thought the future of musical expression including the symphonic - post Beethoven 9 - was in music drama. Not for nothing has the Ring been compared to giant symphony. There’s nothing “sad “ about it .

Comment

• LMcD
                                • Sep 2017

It’s more that he thought the future of musical expression including the symphonic - post Beethoven 9 - was in music drama. Not for nothing has the Ring been compared to giant symphony. There’s nothing “sad “ about it .
                                I was actually feeling sad for cloughie .

Comment

Working...
                                X