Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Suffolkcoastal
    • Nov 2010

Howells chamber music is indeed quite beautiful. The 2nd Piano Concerto is Howells on a grander instrumental scale and well worth hearing as is the eloquent Concerto for String Orchestra. Hymnus Paradisi really is most moving and I was thrilled to hear it live at the Proms back 2012. His largest work is the ecstatic Missa Sabriensis a stunning almost passionate work but exceedingly difficult to pull off successfully and there is the more restrained Stabat Mater.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
      Howells chamber music is indeed quite beautiful. The 2nd Piano Concerto is Howells on a grander instrumental scale and well worth hearing as is the eloquent Concerto for String Orchestra. Hymnus Paradisi really is most moving and I was thrilled to hear it live at the Proms back 2012. His largest work is the ecstatic Missa Sabriensis a stunning almost passionate work but exceedingly difficult to pull off successfully and there is the more restrained Stabat Mater.
      Indeed SC.
      I have the Chandos record of the two Piano Concertos (Shelley/Hickox)c/w with the delightful and wonderfully named Penguinski.

Comment

• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        I'm afraid Howells is mostly untrodden territory for me, but that is another journey waiting for another time.
        Hiya teamsaint,

This Lyrita disc containing Howells's chamber masterwork the Rhapsodic Quintet is stunning. The other works on the disc the Fantasy String Quartet and the Piano Quartet are excellent too. Link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Herbert-Howe...howells+lyrita

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

My cousin conducts a chamber choir and I first heard some music by Howells only a few years ago at one of their concerts. He is Treasurer of the Herbert Howells Society and mainly as result of his enthusiasm, I have enjoyed starting to get to know some of his works.

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

How come I've never seen this thread? Goodness! I have that recording to Cali!, strongly recomended! Also that Chandos cd as well Rob!! Agreed. an I point out his music for brass band as well? Cory Band under Robert Childs, on the Doyen label.
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
              Can I point out his music for brass band as well? Cory Band under Robert Childs, on the Doyen label.
              Pageantry performed by the Yorkshire Building Society Band:
              Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Three Figures played by the Besses o'the Barn Band:
              BESSES O' THE BARN BAND-DR. ROY NEWSOME. Three Figures was the test piece for the 1960 National Brass Band Championship won that year by Munn and Feltons Wo...
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                Pageantry performed by the Yorkshire Building Society Band:
                Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Three Figures played by the Besses o'the Barn Band:
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k5bImvkqP8
                There's www.worldofbrass.com
                Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Pulcinella
                  Host
                  • Feb 2014

Hello all

My own introduction to Howells was the 1966 Kings/Willcocks Argo recording of Coll Reg and other gems (especially Take him earth for cherishing). I am delighted to be able to report that, following requests from several interested parties, myself included, Decca Eloquence are releasing a CD version of this recording, coupled with some RVW.

I will post a similar message on the Decca Eloquence thread (CD Review).

Pulcinella

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Hello, Pulcinella - and welcome! (Welcome back, if I'm not mistaken). Excellent news about the Eloquence CD, too.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

Hello fhg

Thanks, but you are mistaken.
                      Perhaps I have chosen a name that a previous member used :-(

Pulcinella

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

Hello Pulcinella! Another Stravinskian themed name!

Anything that Sir David Willcocks recorded with the KCCC, turned to gold! he had the Midas touch!
                        Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                          Hello fhg
                          Thanks, but you are mistaken.
                          'twould be neither the first nor the last time.

Perhaps I have chosen a name that a previous member used
                          I seem to remember that there was a Boardee on the old BBC Messageboards who used that nom du web - but that's three years ago, so it's all yours now.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

More Howells news.
                            March's Gramophone has a review of the book `The music of Herbert Howells', edited by Phillip A Cooke and David Maw.
                            Sounds interesting, but it's £50!

If folk are looking for an alternative to the river people, can I put in a word for the Hive Books network: for this (and other books I've bought) they are cheaper, and they deliver free to your local bookshop (if it's in the scheme), which gets a percentage of every sale, so you're supporting them too. Hive offer this book at £43.90.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                              More Howells news.
                              March's Gramophone has a review of the book `The music of Herbert Howells', edited by Phillip A Cooke and David Maw.
                              Sounds interesting, but it's £50!

If folk are looking for an alternative to the river people, can I put in a word for the Hive Books network: for this (and other books I've bought) they are cheaper, and they deliver free to your local bookshop (if it's in the scheme), which gets a percentage of every sale, so you're supporting them too. Hive offer this book at £43.90.
                              Have books gone up a lot recently? How many pages, Pulchi?
                              Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Pulcinella
                                Host
                                • Feb 2014

382pp; and it's hardback.
                                So good value really: I just don't know how often I'd look at it, even if I read it though once!
                                And there's just as little room on my bookshelves as there is on my CD shelves! :-(

Comment

Working...
                                X