Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beef Oven

Originally posted by Stephen Whitaker View Post
    There were some people who felt the original thread had degenerated into a slanging match and so hoped that a second attempt might be more civilised.

On a slightly related topic, why do contributors to a forum for Radio 3 listeners feel the need to adopt ludicrous pseudonyms?
    Surely that is what one would encounter among the users of Radio 1 fan-sites.
    It seems to me that intelligent people should have no need of such disguises and the use of our real names might discourage any lapses into outrageous behaviour.
    And they could say something about themselves in the 'about me' section in their profile.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
      The obvious suspects with me. War Requiem, Peter Grimes, Les Illuminations, Frank Bridge Variations, Sinfonietta, Spring Symphony, the list goes on!!
      I'm not that keen on Britten, except for...
      Op. 1, Sinfonietta, 1932
      Op. 2, Phantasy, oboe quartet, 1932
      Op. 3, A Boy was Born for mixed chorus with organ ad lib, 1933, revised 1955
      Op. 4, Simple Symphony for strings, 1934 (+ also version for string quartet)
      Op. 5, Holiday Diary for piano, 1934
      Op. 6, Suite for violin and piano, 1935
      Op. 7, Friday Afternoons for children's voices and piano, 1935
      Op. 8, Our Hunting Fathers for soprano or tenor and orchestra (words W. H. Auden), 1936
      Op. 9, Soirées musicales for orchestra (after Rossini), 1936
      Op. 10, Variations on a Theme of Frank Bridge for string orchestra, 1937
      Op. 11, On this Island for soprano or tenor and piano (words W. H. Auden), 1937
      Op. 12, Mont Juic (after Catalan dances, with Lennox Berkeley), 1937
      Op. 13, Piano Concerto, 1938, revised 1945
      Op. 14, Ballad of Heroes for tenor or soprano, chorus and orchestra (words W. H. Auden and Randall Swingler), 1939
      Op. 15, Violin Concerto, 1939, revised 1958
      Op. 16, Young Apollo for piano and strings, 1939 (withdrawn)
      Op. 17, Paul Bunyan, opera (libretto W. H. Auden), 1941, revised 1976
      Op. 18, Les Illuminations, for soprano or tenor and strings (words Arthur Rimbaud), 1939
      Op. 19, Canadian Carnival overture, 1939
      Op. 20, Sinfonia da Requiem, 1940
      Op. 21, Diversions for piano (left hand) and orchestra, 1940, revised 1954
      Op. 22, Seven Sonnets of Michelangelo for tenor and piano, 1940
      Op. 23 No. 1, Introduction and Rondo alla burlesca for two pianos, 1940
      No. 2, Mazurka elegaica for two pianos, 1941
      Op. 24, Matinées musicales for orchestra (after Rossini), 1941
      Op. 25, String Quartet No. 1, 1941
      Op. 26, Scottish Ballad for two pianos and orchestra, 1941
      Op. 27, An American Overture, 1941 [first performance 1983]
      Op. 27, Hymn to St. Cecilia for SSATB, 1942
      Op. 28, A Ceremony of Carols for trebles and harp, 1942
      Op. 29, Prelude and Fugue for 18 strings, 1943
      Op. 30, Rejoice in the Lamb for soloists, chorus and organ, 1943
      Op. 31, Serenade for Tenor, Horn and Strings, song cycle, 1943
      Op. 32, Festival Te Deum for chorus and organ, 1945
      Op. 33, Peter Grimes, opera (libretto Montagu Slater after George Crabbe), 1945 Op. 33a, Four Sea Interludes from Peter Grimes
      Op. 33b, Passacaglia from Peter Grimes
      Op. 34, Variations and Fugue on a Theme of Henry Purcell (The Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra), 1946
      Op. 35, The Holy Sonnets of John Donne for soprano or tenor and piano, 1945
      Op. 36, String Quartet No. 2, 1945
      Op. 37, The Rape of Lucretia, opera (libretto Ronald Duncan after André Obey), 1946 revised 1947
      Op. 38, Occasional Overture, 1946
      Op. 39, Albert Herring, opera (libretto Eric Crozier after Guy de Maupassant), 1947
      Op. 40, My beloved is mine (Canticle I) for soprano or tenor and piano (words Francis Quarles), 1947
      Op. 41, A Charm of Lullabies for mezzo soprano and piano, 1947
      Op. 42, Saint Nicolas for soloists, chorus, strings, piano (4 hands), percussion and organ, 1948
      Op. 43, The Beggar's Opera after John Gay, 1948
      Op. 44, Spring Symphony for soloists, mixed choir, children's choir and orchestra, 1949
      Op. 45, The Little Sweep, opera (libretto Eric Crozier), 1949
      Op. 46, A Wedding anthem Amo Ergo Sum for soprano, tenor chorus and organ (words Ronald Duncan), 1949
      Op. 47, Five Flower Songs for SATB, 1950
      Op. 48, Lachrymae for viola and piano, 1950 Op. 48a, Lachrymae for viola and strings, 1976
      Op. 49, Six Metamorphoses after Ovid for oboe, 1951
      Op. 50, Billy Budd, opera (libretto E. M. Forster and Eric Crozier after Herman Melville), 1951, revised 1960
      Op. 51, Abraham and Isaac (Canticle II) for alto, tenor and piano (Chester miracle play), 1952
      Op. 52, Winter Words for soprano or tenor and piano (words Thomas Hardy), 1953
      Op. 53, Gloriana, opera (libretto William Plomer after Lytton Strachey), 1953 Op. 53a, Symphonic Suite "Gloriana" for tenor or oboe and orchestra, 1954
      Op. 54, The Turn of the Screw, opera (libretto Myfanwy Piper after Henry James), 1954
      Op. 55, Still Falls the Rain (Canticle III) for tenor, horn and piano (words Edith Sitwell), 1954
      Op. 56a, Hymn to St. Peter for treble, SATB and organ, 1955
      Op. 56b, Antiphon for SATB and organ, 1955
      Op. 57, The Prince of the Pagodas, ballet, 1956 Op. 57a, Pas de six from The Prince of the Pagodas
      Op. 58, Songs from the Chinese for soprano or tenor and guitar, 1957
      Op. 59, Noye's Fludde, opera (Chester mystery play), 1957
      Op. 60, Nocturne for tenor, 7 obbligato instruments and string orchestra, song cycle, 1958
      Op. 61, Sechs Hölderlin-Fragmente, 1958
      Op. 62, Cantata academica, 1959
      Op. 63, Missa brevis for boys' voices and organ, 1959
      Op. 64, A Midsummer Night's Dream, opera (libretto Benjamin Britten and Peter Pears after William Shakespeare), 1960
      Op. 65, Sonata for cello and piano, 1961
      Op. 66, War Requiem, 1961
      Op. 67, Psalm CL for children's chorus and instruments, 1962
      Op. 68, Cello Symphony, 1963
      Op. 69, Cantata misericordium, 1963
      Op. 70, Nocturnal after John Dowland for guitar, 1963
      Op. 71, Curlew River, church parable (libretto William Plomer after Noh), 1964
      Op. 72, Cello Suite No. 1, 1964
      Op. 73, Gemini Variations for flute, violin and piano four hands, 1965
      Op. 74, Songs and Proverbs of William Blake for baritone and piano, 1965
      Op. 75, Voices for Today for boys' voices, chorus and organ ad lib, 1965
      Op. 76, The Poet's Echo for soprano or tenor and piano (words Alexander Pushkin), 1965
      Op. 77, The Burning Fiery Furnace, church parable (libretto William Plomer after The Book of Daniel), 1966
      Op. 78, The Golden Vanity for boys' voices and piano (words Colin Graham), 1966
      Op. 79, The Building of the House overture, for chorus or organ or brass and orchestra, 1967
      Op. 80, Cello Suite No. 2, 1967
      Op. 81, The Prodigal Son, church parable (libretto William Plomer), 1968
      Op. 82, Children's Crusade (words Bertolt Brecht/Hans Keller), 1968
      Op. 83, Suite for Harp, 1969
      Op. 84, Who are these Children? for tenor and piano (words William Soutar), 1969
      Op. 85, Owen Wingrave, opera (libretto Myfanwy Piper based on Henry James), 1970
      Op. 86, The Journey of the Magi (Canticle IV) for countertenor, tenor, baritone and piano (words T. S. Eliot), 1971
      Op. 87, Cello Suite No. 3, 1972
      Op. 88, Death in Venice, opera (libretto Myfanwy Piper based on Thomas Mann), 1973
      Op. 89, The Death of Narcissus (Canticle V) for tenor and harp (words T. S. Eliot), 1974
      Op. 90, A Suite on English Folk Tunes "A Time There Was" for chamber orchestra, 1974
      Op. 91, Sacred and Profane (8 medieval lyrics) for five voices (SSATB), 1975
      Op. 92, A Birthday Hansel for high voice and harp (words Robert Burns), 1975
      Op. 93, Phaedra, cantata (words Robert Lowell after Jean Racine), 1975
      Op. 94, String Quartet No. 3, 1975
      Op. 95, Welcome Ode for young people's voices and orchestra, 1976
      Op. 96, Praise we great men for soloists, chorus and orchestra (words Edith Sitwell), 1976 (Unfinished)

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Shall we try and keep this to just Britten's music...?

Anyone else think "Turn of the Screw" is his greatest opera?

(I wish video existed of the early 1980s ENO production with Philip Langridge - spinechilling and unforgettable)

EDIT: Edgers, you beat me to it... and how!!!
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Mahler's3rd

I think I would say Peter Grimes, It was the first Opera I saw. I do remember it was done by Opera North. I thought The Performance by ENO at the Proms last year of Peter Grimes was superb also. I also really like the War Requiem, Spring Symphony, Serenade For Tenor Horn & Srings, Sinfonia da Requiem, Young Apollo, The Violin & Piano Concerto's. I hope Glyndebourne do Billy Budd as their Prom this year, that would be great, and I'm looking forward to seeing ENO's "Death In Venice" & Royal Opera's "Gloriana" in June. I heard that Birmingham Royal Ballet are going to do Prince Of The Pagodas some time this year and does anybody know when details will be released as to when Opera North are doing their "Britten Trilogy" in the Autumn?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mahler's3rd View Post
            I think I would say Peter Grimes, It was the first Opera I saw.
            Coincidence, M3rd - in my case, 'Turn of the Screw' was the first opera I ever went to. Maybe we are each marked by that....

Comment

• Belgrove
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Anyone else think "Turn of the Screw" is his greatest opera?

(I wish video existed of the early 1980s ENO production with Philip Langridge - spinechilling and unforgettable)

I have already written that I believe it to be one of the greatest operas of the last century.

Caliban, do see the recently released Glyndebourne DVD/BluRay of the 2011 performance. There are many remarkable and deeply disturbing things in this fluent production, but the queasy Prelude to Act 2 makes the flesh crawl in a way I have never heard done before (Jakub Hrusa conducting). A difficult and uncomfortable experience.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                • Nov 2010

Caliban

You have mentioned the Diversions for Left Hand, a very fine piece. One of my first LPs was the version with Britten himself conducting the great Julius Katchen. Decca tried to 'stereoise ' it for an Eclipse release, but luckily the original mono has appeared on CD. Another fine version comes from the Boston SO and Ozawa with Fleischer, splendidly recorded and with the Ravel Left Hand and Prokofiev's 4th as couplings

Comment

• ahinton
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Belgrove View Post
                  The Screw is one of the (three) greatest operas of the last century in my opinion.
                  Whilst you do not name what you consider to be the other two, this is surely a most rash claim, notwithstanding the fact that it is undoubtedly a fine work? Do you really mean to suggests that it sits above Pelléas et Mélisande, Salome, Elektra, Der Rosenkavalier, Doktor Faust, Wozzeck, Die Frau ohne Schatten and Die Soldaten? (for the last of which a similar claim to yours was once memorably made by, of all people, Claudio Arrau)...

Comment

• Mahler's3rd

What does everyone think is the best version on CD of Peter Grimes, I've got The Glyndebourne one and the LSO Set, does anyone have any recommendations. Also got the ENO Production on VHS!

Comment

• Mahler's3rd

I was Spellbound Caliban by the intensity of Peter Grimes, reckon your right, the first one leaves a mark

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Belgrove View Post
                        I have already written that I believe it to be one of the greatest operas of the last century.

Caliban, do see the recently released Glyndebourne DVD/BluRay of the 2011 performance. There are many remarkable and deeply disturbing things in this fluent production, but the queasy Prelude to Act 2 makes the flesh crawl in a way I have never heard done before (Jakub Hrusa conducting). A difficult and uncomfortable experience.
                        Belgrove, I've watched it twice. Very good indeed.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

On a slightly related topic, why do contributors to a forum for Radio 3 listeners feel the need to adopt ludicrous pseudonyms?
                          Oh, I know! Some of them are utterly ridiculous, aren't they!

It seems to me that intelligent people should have no need of such disguises and the use of our real names might discourage any lapses into outrageous behaviour.
                          Mine originated on the old BBC Message Boards. Before contributing, I noticed that everyone seemed to have a nom-du-web and I thought this was compusory. Following Bax-of-Delight's example, I elected to splice my "favourite" living composer with my favourite "dead" one. I hovered around "TransitVan" for a while, but am glad I settled on this one - I quite like "ferney" as a shortener; not sure I'd be happy about "Trannie".
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Stephen Whitaker

One of my highlights of opera going last year (see the reviews)

It still feels to me like an investigation of child abuse which it's hard to like.

Comment

• Mr Pee
                              • Nov 2010

It still feels to me like an investigation of child abuse which it's hard to like.
                              And let's keep all that stuff for the other thread, shall we?
                              Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                                I'm not that keen on Britten, except for...
                                Op. 1, Sinfonietta, 1932
                                Op. 2, Phantasy, oboe quartet, 1932
                                Op. 3, A Boy was Born for mixed chorus with organ ad lib, 1933, revised 1955
                                Op. 4, Simple Symphony for strings, 1934 (+ also version for string quartet)
                                Op. 5, Holiday Diary for piano, 1934
                                Op. 6, Suite for violin and piano, 1935
                                Op. 7, Friday Afternoons for children's voices and piano, 1935
                                Op. 8, Our Hunting Fathers for soprano or tenor and orchestra (words W. H. Auden), 1936
                                Op. 9, Soirées musicales for orchestra (after Rossini), 1936
                                Op. 10, Variations on a Theme of Frank Bridge for string orchestra, 1937
                                Op. 11, On this Island for soprano or tenor and piano (words W. H. Auden), 1937
                                Op. 12, Mont Juic (after Catalan dances, with Lennox Berkeley), 1937
                                Op. 13, Piano Concerto, 1938, revised 1945
                                Op. 14, Ballad of Heroes for tenor or soprano, chorus and orchestra (words W. H. Auden and Randall Swingler), 1939
                                Op. 15, Violin Concerto, 1939, revised 1958
                                Op. 16, Young Apollo for piano and strings, 1939 (withdrawn)
                                Op. 17, Paul Bunyan, opera (libretto W. H. Auden), 1941, revised 1976
                                Op. 18, Les Illuminations, for soprano or tenor and strings (words Arthur Rimbaud), 1939
                                Op. 19, Canadian Carnival overture, 1939
                                Op. 20, Sinfonia da Requiem, 1940
                                Op. 21, Diversions for piano (left hand) and orchestra, 1940, revised 1954
                                Op. 22, Seven Sonnets of Michelangelo for tenor and piano, 1940
                                Op. 23 No. 1, Introduction and Rondo alla burlesca for two pianos, 1940
                                No. 2, Mazurka elegaica for two pianos, 1941
                                Op. 24, Matinées musicales for orchestra (after Rossini), 1941
                                Op. 25, String Quartet No. 1, 1941
                                Op. 26, Scottish Ballad for two pianos and orchestra, 1941
                                Op. 27, An American Overture, 1941 [first performance 1983]
                                Op. 27, Hymn to St. Cecilia for SSATB, 1942
                                Op. 28, A Ceremony of Carols for trebles and harp, 1942
                                Op. 29, Prelude and Fugue for 18 strings, 1943
                                Op. 30, Rejoice in the Lamb for soloists, chorus and organ, 1943
                                Op. 31, Serenade for Tenor, Horn and Strings, song cycle, 1943
                                Op. 32, Festival Te Deum for chorus and organ, 1945
                                Op. 33, Peter Grimes, opera (libretto Montagu Slater after George Crabbe), 1945 Op. 33a, Four Sea Interludes from Peter Grimes
                                Op. 33b, Passacaglia from Peter Grimes
                                Op. 34, Variations and Fugue on a Theme of Henry Purcell (The Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra), 1946
                                Op. 35, The Holy Sonnets of John Donne for soprano or tenor and piano, 1945
                                Op. 36, String Quartet No. 2, 1945
                                Op. 37, The Rape of Lucretia, opera (libretto Ronald Duncan after André Obey), 1946 revised 1947
                                Op. 38, Occasional Overture, 1946
                                Op. 39, Albert Herring, opera (libretto Eric Crozier after Guy de Maupassant), 1947
                                Op. 40, My beloved is mine (Canticle I) for soprano or tenor and piano (words Francis Quarles), 1947
                                Op. 41, A Charm of Lullabies for mezzo soprano and piano, 1947
                                Op. 42, Saint Nicolas for soloists, chorus, strings, piano (4 hands), percussion and organ, 1948
                                Op. 43, The Beggar's Opera after John Gay, 1948
                                Op. 44, Spring Symphony for soloists, mixed choir, children's choir and orchestra, 1949
                                Op. 45, The Little Sweep, opera (libretto Eric Crozier), 1949
                                Op. 46, A Wedding anthem Amo Ergo Sum for soprano, tenor chorus and organ (words Ronald Duncan), 1949
                                Op. 47, Five Flower Songs for SATB, 1950
                                Op. 48, Lachrymae for viola and piano, 1950 Op. 48a, Lachrymae for viola and strings, 1976
                                Op. 49, Six Metamorphoses after Ovid for oboe, 1951
                                Op. 50, Billy Budd, opera (libretto E. M. Forster and Eric Crozier after Herman Melville), 1951, revised 1960
                                Op. 51, Abraham and Isaac (Canticle II) for alto, tenor and piano (Chester miracle play), 1952
                                Op. 52, Winter Words for soprano or tenor and piano (words Thomas Hardy), 1953
                                Op. 53, Gloriana, opera (libretto William Plomer after Lytton Strachey), 1953 Op. 53a, Symphonic Suite "Gloriana" for tenor or oboe and orchestra, 1954
                                Op. 54, The Turn of the Screw, opera (libretto Myfanwy Piper after Henry James), 1954
                                Op. 55, Still Falls the Rain (Canticle III) for tenor, horn and piano (words Edith Sitwell), 1954
                                Op. 56a, Hymn to St. Peter for treble, SATB and organ, 1955
                                Op. 56b, Antiphon for SATB and organ, 1955
                                Op. 57, The Prince of the Pagodas, ballet, 1956 Op. 57a, Pas de six from The Prince of the Pagodas
                                Op. 58, Songs from the Chinese for soprano or tenor and guitar, 1957
                                Op. 59, Noye's Fludde, opera (Chester mystery play), 1957
                                Op. 60, Nocturne for tenor, 7 obbligato instruments and string orchestra, song cycle, 1958
                                Op. 61, Sechs Hölderlin-Fragmente, 1958
                                Op. 62, Cantata academica, 1959
                                Op. 63, Missa brevis for boys' voices and organ, 1959
                                Op. 64, A Midsummer Night's Dream, opera (libretto Benjamin Britten and Peter Pears after William Shakespeare), 1960
                                Op. 65, Sonata for cello and piano, 1961
                                Op. 66, War Requiem, 1961
                                Op. 67, Psalm CL for children's chorus and instruments, 1962
                                Op. 68, Cello Symphony, 1963
                                Op. 69, Cantata misericordium, 1963
                                Op. 70, Nocturnal after John Dowland for guitar, 1963
                                Op. 71, Curlew River, church parable (libretto William Plomer after Noh), 1964
                                Op. 72, Cello Suite No. 1, 1964
                                Op. 73, Gemini Variations for flute, violin and piano four hands, 1965
                                Op. 74, Songs and Proverbs of William Blake for baritone and piano, 1965
                                Op. 75, Voices for Today for boys' voices, chorus and organ ad lib, 1965
                                Op. 76, The Poet's Echo for soprano or tenor and piano (words Alexander Pushkin), 1965
                                Op. 77, The Burning Fiery Furnace, church parable (libretto William Plomer after The Book of Daniel), 1966
                                Op. 78, The Golden Vanity for boys' voices and piano (words Colin Graham), 1966
                                Op. 79, The Building of the House overture, for chorus or organ or brass and orchestra, 1967
                                Op. 80, Cello Suite No. 2, 1967
                                Op. 81, The Prodigal Son, church parable (libretto William Plomer), 1968
                                Op. 82, Children's Crusade (words Bertolt Brecht/Hans Keller), 1968
                                Op. 83, Suite for Harp, 1969
                                Op. 84, Who are these Children? for tenor and piano (words William Soutar), 1969
                                Op. 85, Owen Wingrave, opera (libretto Myfanwy Piper based on Henry James), 1970
                                Op. 86, The Journey of the Magi (Canticle IV) for countertenor, tenor, baritone and piano (words T. S. Eliot), 1971
                                Op. 87, Cello Suite No. 3, 1972
                                Op. 88, Death in Venice, opera (libretto Myfanwy Piper based on Thomas Mann), 1973
                                Op. 89, The Death of Narcissus (Canticle V) for tenor and harp (words T. S. Eliot), 1974
                                Op. 90, A Suite on English Folk Tunes "A Time There Was" for chamber orchestra, 1974
                                Op. 91, Sacred and Profane (8 medieval lyrics) for five voices (SSATB), 1975
                                Op. 92, A Birthday Hansel for high voice and harp (words Robert Burns), 1975
                                Op. 93, Phaedra, cantata (words Robert Lowell after Jean Racine), 1975
                                Op. 94, String Quartet No. 3, 1975
                                Op. 95, Welcome Ode for young people's voices and orchestra, 1976
                                Op. 96, Praise we great men for soloists, chorus and orchestra (words Edith Sitwell), 1976 (Unfinished)
                                And what do you have against these, Edgy?
                                These very early songs by Benjamin Britten sung here by Irish soprano heather Harper.1. "Nuits de juin" (Victor Hugo)2. "Sagesse" (Paul Verlaine)3. "L'e...

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X