X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rauschwerk
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
    I was listening to Britten's Spring Symphony the other day. Andre Previn's EMI recording with the LSO etc. a very fine recording, matching any others I am sure.
    Unfortunately, Previn's boys are not much cop. They can't whistle for toffee.

Comment

• BBMmk2
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
      Unfortunately, Previn's boys are not much cop. They can't whistle for toffee.
      Tend to agree to disagree there rauschwerk.
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

All that cock-a-doodle don't in the Spring Symphony - truly cringeworthy stuff. Me? I'd join the saboteurs!

Comment

• rauschwerk
          • Nov 2010

Tend to agree to disagree there rauschwerk.
          The Wandsworth boys on Britten's recording could show them a thing or two!

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Well yes, that is a classic recording, but I do rather think Previn's is good as well. I'll have to listen to that again.
            Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• rauschwerk
              • Nov 2010

Well yes, that is a classic recording, but I do rather think Previn's is good as well. I'll have to listen to that again.
              Previn certainly has a wonderful set of soloists - about the best that could have been assembled at the time. I keep his version on my shelves for the first-rate account of the Grimes Interludes.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
                Previn certainly has a wonderful set of soloists - about the best that could have been assembled at the time. I keep his version on my shelves for the first-rate account of the Grimes Interludes.
                Oh yes! The Four Sea Interludes are something else, here.
                Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
                  • Nov 2010

I was listening to Britten's Spring Symphony the other day. Andre Previn's EMI recording with the LSO etc. a very fine recording, matching any others I am sure.

I saw Mark Wigglesworth conduct this at the Proms, a few years ago. No sure if this matched up but certainly very good.
                  Nice to be reminded of this Prom; my first time singing Spring Symphony, although it's not universally popular among choristers.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EnemyoftheStoat View Post
                    Nice to be reminded of this Prom; my first time singing Spring Symphony, although it's not universally popular among choristers.
                    Not choir friendly? Be interesting to find out the reason
                    Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
                      • Nov 2010

I think it's because it's one of those that comes round maybe a little too often - although perceptions of that often turn out to be mistaken. It's certainly not in the Child of Our Time league, let alone The Bells, which we now seem to get every other year at least.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

I think it's because it's one of those that comes round maybe a little too often - although perceptions of that often turn out to be mistaken. It's certainly not in the Child of Our Time league, let alone The Bells, which we now seem to get every other year at least.
                        Really? Now that is interesting. I suppose in some ways, I see your point, EotS, it can be rather showy and not like at all, say as you have given examples above, but maybe like Britten's War Requiem?
                        Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• rauschwerk
                          • Nov 2010

I learnt it with the newly formed LSO Chorus, into which Guildhall singing students had been co-opted, to the displeasure of some of them. A few of them grumbled about the finale, demanding to know what the hell they were singing about. They didn't get an answer from John Alldis, as I recall.

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
                            • Nov 2010

Really? Now that is interesting. I suppose in some ways, I see your point, EotS, it can be rather showy and not like at all, say as you have given examples above, but maybe like Britten's War Requiem?
                            I wasn't too clear on that - not a reference to quality in case it was taken as such, but rather frequency. Interestingly, War Requiem seems a more popular work with singers, and it definitely comes round more often.

Our latest (BBCSC) Spring was at the Britten centenary at Aldeburgh, a gig I was persuaded to do by the presence of Cantata Academica. Having lobbied for the latter, I couldn't really turn it down!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

I wasn't too clear on that - not a reference to quality in case it was taken as such, but rather frequency. Interestingly, War Requiem seems a more popular work with singers, and it definitely comes round more often.

Our latest (BBCSC) Spring was at the Britten centenary at Aldeburgh, a gig I was persuaded to do by the presence of Cantata Academica. Having lobbied for the latter, I couldn't really turn it down!
                              Indeed not! That Cantata, certainly doesn't get played very often.
                              Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Lordgeous
                                • Dec 2012

Does anyone know why George Malcolm was asked to conduct the first recording (a thrilling one!) and why Britten didnt take the helm himself? BB obviously held GM in high regard as they alternated as conductors for the premier of Midsummer Nights Dream at Aldeburgh.

Comment

Working...
                                X