X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • antongould
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    Not partial to the SdR, don't know about that.

Re choral: I wouldn't look further than this classic
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Britten-Camb...britten+ledger
    Were you in the choir Rumpole....??

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
      We're you in the choir Rumpole....??
      Quick! Edit that before the apostrophe police get you.

Oops. Too late.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        Quick! Edit that before the apostrophe police get you.

Oops. Too late.
        Bad luck anton!

No I couldn't/can't sing to save my or any one else's life
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

For the Sinfonia da Requiem - one of the few pieces of Britten I care about - go for Previn and the LSO in a fantastic recording:

"The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
            For the Sinfonia da Requiem ... go for Previn and the LSO in a fantastic recording:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Peter-Grimes...nia+da+requiem
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
              • Nov 2010

That Naxos SdR is a must at 9p.

As well as Caliban's KCC tip,for lesser known choral works,this is wonderful

Comment

• mercia
                • Nov 2010

even after those you would still need A boy was born http://www.amazon.co.uk/Britten-A-Bo...s+born+britten
                and I would want Sacred and Profane too http://www.amazon.co.uk/Britten-Prof...rofane+britten
                Last edited by mercia; 07-10-14, 04:34.

Comment

• rauschwerk
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                  For the Sinfonia da Requiem - one of the few pieces of Britten I care about - go for Previn and the LSO in a fantastic recording:
                  A warning about this version: the performance is very fine but the recording has a certain kind of 1960s Decca sound: in particular, the horns all come right out of the left hand speaker and the trombones out of the right. If you like this kind of thing (I don't) then Previn is your man.

Britten makes a rare miscalculation and lets the tension dissipate too early in that extraordinary and crucial link between second and third movements. Of the recordings I know, Rattle's is the finest (I don't know if it's cheap).

I loathe performances of certain Britten works (Hymn to St. Cecilia a prime example) by all-male choirs. JEG has recorded that piece most successfully and I dare say that it can be downloaded cheaply enough. George Malcolm's account with the 'London Symphony Chorus' (a pickup pro choir - 1961) is also impressive. You might like it done with just five solo voices, in which case there are members of London Sinfonietta Voices directed by Terry Edwards. (The slight vibrato they use might be bothersome to some boarders.)

Comment

• Mary Chambers
                    • Nov 2010

I don't know much about recordings, so I'm not going to join in with this. Apart from Britten's own versions, I mostly rely on scores and live performances. I have sung almost all of the choral works myself - though for some reason I've never done the Spring Symphony.

Comment

• rauschwerk
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
                      ...though for some reason I've never done the Spring Symphony.
                      I count myself fortunate to have done it twice - once with Kertesz, once with Haitink. The first (my first gig with the LSO Chorus) was one of the most exhilarating expereinces of my life.

Comment

• aeolium
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
                        I count myself fortunate to have done it twice - once with Kertesz, once with Haitink. The first (my first gig with the LSO Chorus) was one of the most exhilarating expereinces of my life.
                        What was Kertesz like to perform with, rauschwerk? I have quite a few recordings of his and was sorry that his early death prevented me from being able to see him perform live. Apparently his appointment as chief conductor of the LSO was controversial at the time but I think he was a wonderful conductor.

Comment

• rauschwerk
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
                          What was Kertesz like to perform with, rauschwerk? I have quite a few recordings of his and was sorry that his early death prevented me from being able to see him perform live. Apparently his appointment as chief conductor of the LSO was controversial at the time but I think he was a wonderful conductor.
                          To be honest, I was so completely overawed by finding myself singing behind the wonderful LSO that I don't remember much about details of rehearsals. Kertesz was the first conductor of international repute that I sang for, so I wasn't making comparisons. But I did very much enjoy all the gigs I did with him - Mozart, Britten, Kodaly (right up his street) and Bernstein.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
                            I'm envious! I think I'd have loved doing it.

Comment

• rauschwerk
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
                              I'm envious! I think I'd have loved doing it.
                              The entry of the boys with Sumer is icumen in remains, for me, one of the greatest moments in all music.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                                Late Member
                                • Nov 2010

I was listening to Britten's Spring Symphony the other day. Andre Previn's EMI recording with the LSO etc. a very fine recording, matching any others I am sure.

I saw Mark Wigglesworth conduct this at the Proms, a few years ago. No sure if this matched up but certainly very good.
                                Don’t cry for me
                                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                                X