Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Russ_H
    • Mar 2012

I am hesitant to resurrect this thread, but, for those who are interested, there are reviews
    of the Powell and Kildea books in today's Sunday Times. Here is a link to the electronic version.
    You will not have access to the full script unless you are a subscriber.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
      • Nov 2010

That's frustrating! I'd love to read it, but I absolutely refuse to pay the subscription. They (Times, Sunday Times) are the only newspapers that ask for it, and they don't even give us the option of buying a one-off article, as some publications do.

There was a lovely concert from Oxford on Radio3 this afternoon, with unusual pieces like Ballad of Heroes and the piece composed for the opening of the Maltings, The Building of the House (with its line 'This house shall stand through storm and stress' - doesn't mention fire). Also the first performance of two psalm settings from Britten's teens - phone rang in the middle of those, so I shall have to catch up on iPlayer.

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

There is no issue about resurrecting this thread. It is about the music of Britten.

Talking of which - another vote for Diversions which I had overlooked . I have it in Leon Fleisher's splendid recording with Ozawa.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
          There is no issue about resurrecting this thread. It is about the music of Britten.

Talking of which - another vote for Diversions which I had overlooked . I have it in Leon Fleisher's splendid recording with Ozawa.
          I think it's a natural for a Prom, Barbirollians

An interesting piece from the Telegraph

In the centenary year of Benjamin Britten, the reputation of the 'difficult’ composer may be about to change, says Rupert Christiansen.

Comment

• Roehre

I'm not that keen on Britten (especially not many of his vocal works), except for...
            Op. 1, Sinfonietta, 1932
            Op. 2, Phantasy, oboe quartet, 1932
            Op. 3, A Boy was Born for mixed chorus with organ ad lib, 1933, revised 1955
            Op. 4, Simple Symphony for strings, 1934 (+ also version for string quartet)
            Op. 5, Holiday Diary for piano, 1934
            Op. 6, Suite for violin and piano, 1935
            Op. 8, Our Hunting Fathers for soprano or tenor and orchestra (words W. H. Auden), 1936
            Op. 9, Soirées musicales for orchestra (after Rossini), 1936
            Op. 10, Variations on a Theme of Frank Bridge for string orchestra, 1937
            Op. 12, Mont Juic (after Catalan dances, with Lennox Berkeley), 1937
            Op. 13, Piano Concerto, both the 1938 and the 1945 versions
            Op. 14, Ballad of Heroes for tenor or soprano, chorus and orchestra (words W. H. Auden and Randall Swingler), 1939
            Op. 15, Violin Concerto, bothe the 1939 [Olof performing!] and the 1958 versions
            Op. 16, Young Apollo for piano and strings, 1939 (withdrawn)
            Op. 18, Les Illuminations, for soprano or tenor and strings (words Arthur Rimbaud), 1939
            Op. 19, Canadian Carnival overture, 1939
            Op. 20, Sinfonia da Requiem, 1940
            Op. 21, Diversions for piano (left hand) and orchestra, 1940, revised 1954
            Op. 23 No. 1, Introduction and Rondo alla burlesca for two pianos, 1940
            Op.23 No. 2, Mazurka elegaica for two pianos, 1941
            Op. 24, Matinées musicales for orchestra (after Rossini), 1941
            Op. 25, String Quartet No. 1, 1941
            Op. 26, Scottish Ballad for two pianos and orchestra, 1941
            Op. 27, An American Overture, 1941 [first performance 1983]
            Op. 27, Hymn to St. Cecilia for SSATB, 1942
            Op. 28, A Ceremony of Carols for trebles and harp, 1942
            Op. 29, Prelude and Fugue for 18 strings, 1943
            Op. 30, Rejoice in the Lamb for soloists, chorus and organ, 1943
            Op. 31, Serenade for Tenor, Horn and Strings, song cycle, 1943
            Op. 32, Festival Te Deum for chorus and organ, 1945
            Op. 33, Peter Grimes, opera (libretto Montagu Slater after George Crabbe), 1945 Op. 33a, Four Sea Interludes from Peter Grimes
            Op. 33b, Passacaglia from Peter Grimes
            Op. 34, Variations and Fugue on a Theme of Henry Purcell (The Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra), 1946
            Op. 36, String Quartet No. 2, 1945
            Op. 37, The Rape of Lucretia, opera (libretto Ronald Duncan after André Obey), 1946 revised 1947
            Op. 38, Occasional Overture, 1946
            Op. 41, A Charm of Lullabies for mezzo soprano and piano, 1947
            Op. 42, Saint Nicolas for soloists, chorus, strings, piano (4 hands), percussion and organ, 1948
            Op. 48, Lachrymae for viola and piano, 1950
            Op. 48a, Lachrymae for viola and strings, 1976
            Op. 49, Six Metamorphoses after Ovid for oboe, 1951
            Op. 50, Billy Budd, opera (libretto E. M. Forster and Eric Crozier after Herman Melville), 1951, revised 1960
            Op. 51, Abraham and Isaac (Canticle II) for alto, tenor and piano (Chester miracle play), 1952
            Op. 53, Gloriana, opera (libretto William Plomer after Lytton Strachey), 1953
            Op. 53a, Symphonic Suite "Gloriana" for tenor or oboe and orchestra, 1954
            Op. 54, The Turn of the Screw, opera (libretto Myfanwy Piper after Henry James), 1954
            Op. 55, Still Falls the Rain (Canticle III) for tenor, horn and piano (words Edith Sitwell), 1954
            Op. 56a, Hymn to St. Peter for treble, SATB and organ, 1955
            Op. 56b, Antiphon for SATB and organ, 1955
            Op. 57, The Prince of the Pagodas, ballet, 1956
            Op. 57a, Pas de six from The Prince of the Pagodas
            Op. 59, Noye's Fludde, opera (Chester mystery play), 1957
            Op. 60, Nocturne for tenor, 7 obbligato instruments and string orchestra, song cycle, 1958
            Op. 62, Cantata academica, 1959
            Op. 63, Missa brevis for boys' voices and organ, 1959
            Op. 64, A Midsummer Night's Dream, opera (libretto Benjamin Britten and Peter Pears after William Shakespeare), 1960
            Op. 65, Sonata for cello and piano, 1961
            Op. 66, War Requiem, 1961
            Op. 67, Psalm CL for children's chorus and instruments, 1962
            Op. 68, Cello Symphony, 1963
            Op. 69, Cantata misericordium, 1963
            Op. 70, Nocturnal after John Dowland for guitar, 1963
            Op. 71, Curlew River, church parable (libretto William Plomer after Noh), 1964
            Op. 72, Cello Suite No. 1, 1964
            Op. 73, Gemini Variations for flute, violin and piano four hands, 1965
            Op. 77, The Burning Fiery Furnace, church parable (libretto William Plomer after The Book of Daniel), 1966
            Op. 79, The Building of the House overture, for chorus or organ or brass and orchestra, 1967
            Op. 80, Cello Suite No. 2, 1967
            Op. 83, Suite for Harp, 1969
            Op. 86, The Journey of the Magi (Canticle IV) for countertenor, tenor, baritone and piano (words T. S. Eliot), 1971
            Op. 87, Cello Suite No. 3, 1972
            Op. 88, Death in Venice, opera (libretto Myfanwy Piper based on Thomas Mann), 1973
            Op. 89, The Death of Narcissus (Canticle V) for tenor and harp (words T. S. Eliot), 1974
            Op. 90, A Suite on English Folk Tunes "A Time There Was" for chamber orchestra, 1974
            Op. 91, Sacred and Profane (8 medieval lyrics) for five voices (SSATB), 1975
            Op. 93, Phaedra, cantata (words Robert Lowell after Jean Racine), 1975
            Op. 94, String Quartet No. 3, 1975
            Op. 95, Welcome Ode for young people's voices and orchestra, 1976
            Op. 96, Praise we great men for soloists, chorus and orchestra (words Edith Sitwell), 1976 (Unfinished)[/QUOTE]

plus from his juvenilia/works without opus numbers (more or less in chronological order):

Folksong arrangements
            Little Sir William
            Narcissus -voor hobo-solo
            Come you not from Newcastle?
            The Bonny Earl o'Moray
            A Shephard's carol
            A Wealdon Trio
            The Plough Boy
            The Sycamore tree
            O Waly, Waly
            A Hymn to the Virgin
            Variation on an Elizabethan theme
            5 Waltzes
            The Ascent of F6
            4 Chansons Francaises
            Rhapsody for stringquartet
            A Hymn to the Virgin
            3 Caracter Pieces
            A Hymn to the Virgin
            Elegy for viola-solo
            Plymouth Town
            Quartettino
            2 Portraits for string orchestra
            12 Variations on a Theme
            String quartet in D
            Phantasy for string quartet
            Double Concerto
            Bridge-variaties for piano
            Alla marcia for string quartet
            Te Deum
            2 Insect Pieces
            The Way to the Sea
            The Night Mail
            2 Lullabies for 2 pianos
            Temporal Variations for oboe and piano
            3 Divertimenti for string quartet
            Russian Funeral
            King Arthur: suite for orchestra
            5 Cabaret Songs
            A.M.D.G.
            The World of the Spirit
            Sonatina romantica
            The Bonny Earl O'May
            5 French folksong arrangements
            Oliver Cromwell
            Voluntary on Tallis's Lamentations
            Now sleeps the Crimson well
            Clarinet concerto Movement
            Prelude and Fugue on a Theme of Vittoria
            "Fanfare ""The Eagle has two heads"""
            A Charm of Lullabies
            Men of Goodwill
            O Waly, Waly
            Suite of songs from Purcell's Orpheus Britannicus
            Variations on a Christmas Carol
            Variations on an Elizabethan theme: variation 5
            Scherzo for 4 recorders
            The Heart of the Matter
            In Memoriam Dennis Briain
            Fanfare for St.Edmondsbury
            Jubilate Deo
            A Hymn of St.Columba

{with many thanks to ER for the works with opus numbers I like)

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
              I'm not that keen on Britten (especially not many of his vocal works), except for...
              Op. 1, Sinfonietta, 1932
              {...}

{with many thanks to ER for the works with opus numbers I like)
              welcome back Roehre - a good break, I trust?

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                welcome back Roehre - a good break, I trust?
                thanks a51. After the break it is of course a bit hectic with some piles on my desk etcetera.
                But it's certainly nice to be back on these boards as well.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                  • Nov 2010

Finally this afternoon I got round to listening to the LSO/Previn recording of Sinfonia da Requiem. A piece that is sometimes too overwhelming .

A piercingly clear sighted account of the piece and less obviously deliberately gloomy than some and makes even more of an impact . Coupled with a wonderful set of the Four Sea Interludes that just make me want to get to Aldeburgh as quickly as possible !

On a more serious note what impact did the Britten centenary have , if any , on your appreciation of his music - overload or now six months have passed did you develop a deeper appreciation from so much of his music being heard.

I shall always treasure my memories of that Friday evening on Aldeburgh beach and the sensational production of Peter Grimes.

Comment

• hmvman
                    • Mar 2007

I discovered several 'new' pieces and it made me invest in the Decca Complete Works CD set. I'm gradually working my way through and making more marvellous discoveries. I very much enjoyed the film of Grimes on the Beach and wish I'd been able to go to see it live. I also enjoyed the ENO production of Gloriana which I saw at a cinema transmission.

I wouldn't like to say whether the centenary events have had any impact on making Britten's music better appreciated by a wider audience.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                      • Nov 2010

I've enjoyed Britten's music ever since singing the Five Flower Songs at school and being bowled over by hearing some guests perform Rejoice in the Lamb in the chapel. Both works were quite new at the time.

I've just finished reading the Kildea book. The controversial side is of course Kildea's theory about Britten having syphilis, but it's only fair to say that there are only a few pages on this subject. By and large it is a pretty good assessment of a very sensitive, sometimes petty, but still likeable genius.
                      There are still works which I find hard to appreciate, the Church Parables for example, where I feel he is deliberately setting himself problems to solve with restricted forces. Much of this music still strikes me as arid, and I don't warm to it. Then i find myself listening to a lovely early work like The Hymn to the Virgin or the wonderful Nocturne, and the pleasure returns.

As a postcript, after last year's Proms performance of Billy Budd, I listened again to The Ballad of Little Musgrave and Lady Barnard, first performed in a prison of war camp. This is an amazing piece for male voices and piano, an opera in effect in a dozen minutes. If anybody has not heard it, make good your loss!

Comment

• Mary Chambers
                        • Nov 2010

I'm trying to work my way through Kildea's book for the second time, because the first time I was so eager to read it (and criticise) I think I read it too fast. I can't so far get rid of a feeling that there is something rather unpleasant about this book, and his prose style is very irritating, particularly his use of adjectives. Perhaps I'm affected by his very defensive attitude when various members of the medical profession, including doctors who were there at the time, said his syphilis theory was nonsense.

Oh - on Private Passions, the novelist Pat Barker has just chosen the Wilfred Owen setting from Britten's Nocturne, a piece that isn't performed nearly often enough.

Comment

• Black Swan

I have just downloaded the Kindle Edition. I am on holiday for 10 days and was looking for some reading. So I will give it a try.

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

I am looking , (yes, its shortcut time again) for recommendations for good, preferably cheap (used will do) versions of the Sinfonia da requiem, as well as some of the better known (and maybe the less well known) choral works, Hymn to St Cecilia, Hymn to the Virgin, that sort of thing.

Thanks.
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                              I am looking , (yes, its shortcut time again) for recommendations for good, preferably cheap (used will do) versions of the Sinfonia da requiem, as well as some of the better known (and maybe the less well known) choral works, Hymn to St Cecilia, Hymn to the Virgin, that sort of thing.

Thanks.
                              In theis repertoire, plenty of bargains to be snapped ts, especially if you go s/h. The classic Britten recording of the SdR can be had for £3.57 on Marketplace. It's probably still the must-have but on Naxos there's also a highly rated Steuart Bedford for £3.12 or even an apparently decent Myer Fredman for 9p!!! (+ P&P of course).

For the choral there's a very good Naxos from St Johns Cambridge/ Robinson for £1.99 s/h or the older KCC/ Willcocks & Ledger on CFP for £2.48 new. Or a newer KCC EMI disc for £4.65 new if you're feeling 'extravagant'!

All this wonderful stuff for less than a tenner Ought there to be a law against it??

Enjoy...
                              I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                                Not partial to the SdR, don't know about that.

Re choral: I wouldn't look further than this classic
                                http://www.amazon.co.uk/Britten-Camb...britten+ledger
                                "...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X