Britten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clive heath

I, too, find Britten a very mixed bag. Looking for two of my favourites I came across this lovely version of the Choral Dances from "Gloriana" by a Toronto University choral group, the Hart House Chorus.

The Hart House Chorus performs its 2002 fall concert, Pacem. Performed on November 24, 2002 in the Great Hall at Hart House at the University of Toronto.List...

It was the second movement "Concord" that I wanted to flag up as a high point in his output for me together with his arrangement of "Down by the Salley Gardens" with that wonderful flattened 7th clashing with the soloists 6th on the syllable "fool" of "foolish". Try Ian Bostridge and Julius Drake.

Comment

• jean
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
      The very early Hymn to the Virgin is a brief but very beautiful work.
      It's a lovely thing.

I too have approached Britten primarily through his choral work - I first sang Rejoice in the Lamb, Hymn to St Cecilia and A Boy was Born many years ago.

I loved the Three Canticles, and the way he reworked Abraham and Isaac in the War Requiem, ending with Owen's But the old man would not so, but slew his son/And half the seed of Europe, one by one is the more chilling if you remember the originaL.

I don't like his folk song arrangements at all (there was another thread about this, wasn't there?) except for the Ploughboy, which I do like, but that's not really a folk song, is it? I've never heard it in any other version.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
        Rejoice in the Lamb, Hymn to St Cecilia
        Oh yes...! Those pieces (along with Howells's canticles) opened my ears to choral music and to English music on visits to evensong in King's Chapel after lectures. I found them - and still find them - overwhelming.
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Mr Pee
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
          I haven't really tried much (or any) of his instrumental/orchestral work.
          You're missing so much! Try the Sinfonia Da Requiem. That, I think, is probably the piece that first really got me interested in Britten's music.
          Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
            I don't like his folk song arrangements at all (there was another thread about this, wasn't there?) except for the Ploughboy, which I do like, but that's not really a folk song, is it? I've never heard it in any other version.
            The Ploughboy is an 18thC song by William Shield, from his opera The Farmer - at least the tune seems to be, but we don't know whether it was a popular song that Shield chose to use. It was usual to use the term 'folk song' rather loosely in Britten's youth - or even in mine!
            I like the folk song arrangements, but the song cycles, operas and choral music are my real loves. I've sung all the well-known choral pieces, I think, except the Spring Symphony, which I'd love to have done.

I find the cello works are growing on me, but I don't know whether I'd have been interested in them if I hadn't known the vocal music first.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Stephen Whitaker View Post
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NvhhZG4IBA

I wonder what Tom Sutcliffe feels about Britten 20 years on.
              Tom Who?

Comment

• ahinton
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                Tom Who?
                Not Service! (for once)...

Comment

• Stephen Whitaker

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                  Tom Who?

This one http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01pz9xn

& http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/sr/all

Comment

• ahinton
                    • Nov 2010

Is there any particular reason why we now have two threads running in this sector of the forum about Britten and his music?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                      Is there any particular reason why we now have two threads running in this sector of the forum about Britten and his music?
                      This was started, I think, to be about the music as a result of the other one not being (as indeed the thread title of that other one does allow)....

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                        This was started, I think, to be about the music as a result of the other one not being (as indeed the thread title of that other one does allow)....
                        The other one was about the clap for a while, but I think it's back on track now.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
                          The other one was about the clap for a while, but I think it's back on track now.
                          Nonetheless it seems likely to spin back off the track at any moment. It's good to come here for just the music.

Comment

• Stephen Whitaker

There were some people who felt the original thread had degenerated into a slanging match and so hoped that a second attempt might be more civilised.

On a slightly related topic, why do contributors to a forum for Radio 3 listeners feel the need to adopt ludicrous pseudonyms?
                            Surely that is what one would encounter among the users of Radio 1 fan-sites.
                            It seems to me that intelligent people should have no need of such disguises and the use of our real names might discourage any lapses into outrageous behaviour.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
                              No it isn't

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stephen Whitaker View Post
                                There were some people who felt the original thread had degenerated into a slanging match and so hoped that a second attempt might be more civilised.

On a slightly related topic, why do contributors to a forum for Radio 3 listeners feel the need to adopt ludicrous pseudonyms?
                                Surely that is what one would encounter among the users of Radio 1 fan-sites.
                                It seems to me that intelligent people should have no need of such disguises and the use of our real names might discourage any lapses into outrageous behaviour.
                                Come to my isle, and we can discuss it....

It seems to be part of the protocol of the 'message board' culture...

Comment

Working...
                                X