Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smittims
    • Aug 2022

Thanks, Macklintick. That EMI disc of the piano music is valuable. I think it was originally a Virgin Classics release, and was recorded in Manchester, at the BBC! I especially like the Twelve Variations of 1931, a mature work for a 17-year-old. I expected something showy, but it's quite deep.

Comment

• Lordgeous
      • Dec 2012

Took a trip down memory lane last night. After listening to the fascinating covert rehearsal recording at the Decca War Requiem sessions I watched the first RAH (Prom) performance, BBC recording in 1964 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwBEtfXXsvU.

A reminder of what an excellent conductor Meredith Davies was, presenter Richard Baker, restrained camera direction, a shy Ben Britten directing the Melos (many of whom I knew), the glorious Heather Harper (singing without score), and what a musician Pears was..... I know its a work that divides opinion but still impressive and moving for me, especially the closing pages.

Comment

• smittims
        • Aug 2022

Thanks for that reminiscence, Lordgeous. Long before videos and historic CDs I treasured a tape of that Prom performance. I endorse your praise of Meredith Davies; I value his Delius recordings.

I preferred Heather Harper to Galina Vishnevskaya, and I was interested to read that, after a project for an 'Anna Karenina' with Vishnevskaya fell through, Britten planned to do a chamber version for Aldeburgh with Harper. That might have answered critics who said he couldn't write a romantic female role.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Full performance of The War Requiem coming up on tonight's TTN shortly (12.30am) It's the WDR SO, Chorus, Cologne Cathedral Choir, Berlin Radio Chorus under Brabbins.

Comment

• Mandryka
            • Feb 2021

Has anyone explored the Nocturne on record? I have and love the live one with Pears, and I just noticed that there are now a ton of other performances on record. I’m wondering whether there are any outstanding ones. I’ve just started listening to Pregardien with Vanska and I’m impressed so far (but it’s one track!)
            Last edited by Mandryka; 16-11-23, 10:33.

Comment

• smittims
              • Aug 2022

There's a very interesting film of Britten and Pears doing Nocturne, released on an ICA DVD. Pears holds a copy of the score throughout , but doesn't look at it once. On the same disc is a superb K550 conducted by Britten. Late '60s I think.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
                Has anyone explored the Nocturne on record? I have and love the live one with Pears, and I just noticed that there are now a ton of other performances on record. I’m wondering whether there are any outstanding ones. I’ve just started listening to Pregardien with Vanska and I’m impressed so far (but it’s one track!)
                A quick search did not reveal a BaL or Summer BaL: perhaps a candidate for next year?

Comment

• Mandryka
                  • Feb 2021

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                  There's a very interesting film of Britten and Pears doing Nocturne, released on an ICA DVD. Pears holds a copy of the score throughout , but doesn't look at it once. On the same disc is a superb K550 conducted by Britten. Late '60s I think.
                  There's also this, which sounds interesting: Pears introduces each song with a brief explanation of its subject and meaning, including the first few lines of the poem

The ICA one is here

I'd love to see both -- but I don't like buying DVDs!

Here's a clip -- everyone in sub fusc!

When Most I Wink, Then Do My Eyes Best SeeFrom Nocturne for Tenor, Seven Obbligato Instruments and StringsEnglish Chamber OrchestraPeter Pears, tenorBenjamin...

Comment

• hmvman
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
                    One of my favourite works by BB. I don't have many recordings though; the Pears/Britten studio recording several times on LP and CD. Pears is wonderful of course but I also have Robert Tear with the Academy of St Martin-in-the-Fields/Neville Marriner on Argo LP. I love this performance and recording too. I think Tear was excellent in Britten's music and his darker tone suits the Nocturne very well imo.

Comment

• smittims
                      • Aug 2022

Yes, I think Robert Tear was the first to record the whole of 'On this Island'. He also made a fine version of 'Serenade' with Marriner, backed by a superb 'Illuminations' with Heather Harper.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

Yes, I think Robert Tear was the first to record the whole of 'On this Island'. He also made a fine version of 'Serenade' with Marriner, backed by a superb 'Illuminations' with Heather Harper.
                        Which is coupled with a different version of the Nocturne by Tear, this time with the ECO under Jeffrey Tate:

Benjamin Britten. Warner Classics: 3522862. Buy download online. Heather Harper (soprano), Robert Tear (tenor) Northern Sinfonia Orchestra, ECO, Sir Neville Marriner, Jeffrey Tate

Comment

• smittims
                          • Aug 2022

I still air my blue-label Concert Classics Lp occasionally!

Comment

• LMcD
                            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

Which is coupled with a different version of the Nocturne by Tear, this time with the ECO under Jeffrey Tate:

https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...njamin-britten
                            This disc includes what, for my money, is definitely the most terrifying version of the Lyke Wake Dirge you're ever likely to hear.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                              Host
                              • Feb 2014

I still air my blue-label Concert Classics Lp occasionally!
                              Has this strayed onto the wrong thread, and should be associated with pastoralguy's comments (on What classical music.....) about blue-face CDs?

Comment

• smittims
                                • Aug 2022

Fair point, but I was referring to SXLP 30194, a January 1976 LP reissue of a 1971 HMV recording of Serenade and Les Illuminations: Tear Harper, Civil, Northern Sinfonia/Marriner. An outstanding early example of someone else recording Britten; in those days most Britten recordings were his own.

Comment

Working...
                                X