• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lateralthinking1
    • Sep 2024

O'Carolan, Turlough (1670 - 1738)

Very notable, in my humble opinion, for his melodic composition:

Some of O'Carolan's own compositions show influence from the style of continental classical music, whereas others such as Carolan's Farewell to Music reflect a much older style of "Gaelic Harping".

This music can often be found on the kinds of celtic music CDs aimed at the mass market. The performers are frequently unknown. I wondered, though, if anyone could suggest a definitive O'Carolan? I would also be interested to hear if O'Carolan's work has ever been performed at the Proms and, if so, when and how.
  • Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
    Very notable, in my humble opinion, for his melodic composition:

Some of O'Carolan's own compositions show influence from the style of continental classical music, whereas others such as Carolan's Farewell to Music reflect a much older style of "Gaelic Harping".

This music can often be found on the kinds of celtic music CDs aimed at the mass market. The performers are frequently unknown. I wondered, though, if anyone could suggest a definitive O'Carolan? I would also be interested to hear if O'Carolan's work has ever been performed at the Proms and, if so, when and how.
    Lats as I'm sure you know one of the great proselytizers of Carolan's music was the late Derek Bell, amongst other things harpist with the Chieftains. Various recordings. I only saw the Chieftains live once, opening at Slane Castle on the banks of the Boyne for the Rolling Stones. There's also some Carolan on Jordi Savall's two Celtic Viol double CDs.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Thank you Richard. I had another listen to the Chieftains last night and will certainly follow up on your suggestions. My favourite is probably 'Carolan's Ramble to Cashel'. It is one of several of Carolan's on the Northern Lights' CD 'Harp and Hammer Dulcimer' which features Steve Coulter on celtic harp and Harris Moore on hammer dulcimer. I found the two playing in the grounds of a church in the Netherlands of all places. I know that there are also versions of some of O'Carolan's pieces by John Doan.

Much as I like them - the Northern Lights is surprisingly subtle - Irish music was oversold a few years ago with all the usual accompanying promotions. Some of it - though fortunately not all - was cheapened. It might sound a little ridiculous but I would like to hear a treatment of O'Carolan that doesn't shout out "celtic" but rather introduces a new emphasis on "classical". It would not only be fascinating but, I think, fitting to him as a composer. If other people also have suggestions, I would welcome them.

Northern Lights : 'Carolan's Ramble to Cashel' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiznAhLew7E
      Last edited by Guest; 10-11-12, 09:13.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Lat-Literal
          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          I absolutely love it and have it playing now.

Comment

Working...
          X