Sibelius, Jean (1865-1957)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anna

Thanks ferney, I don't download as I don't have a pod but, cross referencing the amazon thread, there is listed on that a box set of Barbirolli and the Halle for under £11, Bryn mentioned Barbirolli upthread I think, not sure if anyone else has. However, I think over the past 10 days I've almost done to death the Sibelius I have and am still loving it! (That's the Karajan & Berlin Phil in the main) So, I really should consider what to purchase but need to read through this thread again.

Comment

• barber olly

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      The first Sibelius disc I ever bought was a Pye Golden Guinea of Sir John Rubber Brolly conducting his Hallé Orchestra in the 5th Symphony and Pohjola's Daughter. I will have to investigate whether those recordings have made it to CD format. I remember them with great affection.
      Sir John Rubber Brolly - how disrespectful, please execute a little more decorum when referring to probably the greatest conductor of the last century. Now wash your mouth out with soap!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Hear hear, barbie!

I'm sure Bob O'Reilly would've approved!
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• barber olly

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          Hear hear, barbie!

I'm sure Bob O'Reilly would've approved!
          And Martin Milner with his schmaltz!

Comment

• bluestateprommer
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
            Overlooked this one sibelius 8, bluestateprommer ?
            Indeed, yes, I did miss that thread; my bad. (BSP administers appropriate self-flagellatory rebuke.) Granted, the search engine wasn't the most user-friendly when I tried to search for earlier threads on it, but no luck then, obviously.

Did anyone catch the recent BBC SO performances with Jukka-Pekka Saraste, either at the Barbican or on iPlayer, of Sibelius 6 & 7, along with the Kurtag and Bartok selections? Since I despair of ever hearing Sibelius 6 live, I was pleased to give this a listen and to enjoy it. Sibelius fans in London are lucky this calendar year to have had two live performances of Sibelius 6, at The Proms and at the Barbican.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

This thread seems the most appropriate place to put this photo, which I came across doing a little research about the Kardomah coffee chain earlier today.

Great quote, and sounds like a good time for all !

Anna - you started this thread: have you been there?

The background is as follows: the wording was placed there in
              '2014, as part of the Dylan Thomas Centenary. Situated on the exterior of Swansea’s famous Kardomah Cafe, artist DJ Roberts has produced a white neon text running along the Park Street exterior. The line is taken from a Dylan Thomas radio broadcast ‘Return Journey to Swansea‘. In the broadcast, Thomas tells of his return to Swansea in search of his former self, growing up in the town. We find him at one stage in the Kardomah Café with his friends, putting the world to rights. .... They talk about ‘Michelangelo, ping-pong, ambition, Sibelius, and girls…‘
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

This day, 60 years ago, Jean Sibelius passed away.
                Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 20-09-17, 16:36.
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post

Comment

• doversoul1
                    Ex Member
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                    I has never occurred to me that Sibelius was alive in my lifetime. How (some) music has changed!!

Comment

• pastoralguy
                      • Nov 2010

Isn't it amazing?!

Sibelius' music has been a running theme throughout my life and his music runs deep in my veins. One of my earliest memories is of the cover of Sargent's Sibelius Album from the 1960's on HMV which was of the first pictures my little baby eyes focused on. I've always wanted to stand on that spot and next year, with retirement from the NHS beckoning, I intent to attempt to find that very location.

I also want to stand in Sibelius' garden at Ainola and listen to the Fifth Symphony through my headphones.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
                        I has never occurred to me that Sibelius was alive in my lifetime. How (some) music has changed!!
                        Well, yes - but remember that for the best part of the last thirty years of his life, Sibelius didn't write any major piece of Music, so his Music is "closer" to being ninety years old.

(And someone born in 1855 - two years before Wagner began Tristan - writing in 1917 would have had equal occasion to comment on how "(some) Music had changed!!" )

Comment

• doversoul1
                          Ex Member
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          Well, yes - but remember that for the best part of the last thirty years of his life, Sibelius didn't write any major piece of Music, so his Music is "closer" to being ninety years old.

(And someone born in 1855 - two years before Wagner began Tristan - writing in 1917 would have had equal occasion to comment on how "(some) Music had changed!!" )
                          Of course. I’d forgotten that (re: 30 years). Did Sibelius feel he had nothing more to say or did he find the trend/fashion of the music too alien to take part? Still, he is much luckier than Bach and Vivaldi who were forgotten after their death. Or was this part of the change of perception about classical music?

This thread was started by Anna. I hope she is well and busy.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                            • Nov 2010

Gracious so it is - well a good excuse to listen yet again to Ida Haendel's sensational live recording of the Violin Concerto with the CBSO/Rattle ( which mysteriously disappeared from the Testament site and was deleted not long after it was issued and has never reappeared ) .

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
                              Yes but he didn't write much for many years before his departure!

Comment

• visualnickmos
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                                Gracious so it is - well a good excuse to listen yet again to Ida Haendel's sensational live recording of the Violin Concerto with the CBSO/Rattle ( which mysteriously disappeared from the Testament site and was deleted not long after it was issued and has never reappeared ) .
                                I have never heard this much-lauded CD; I was rather put off, after acquiring her recording of Elgar's violin concerto, which I found just too slow for comfort!

Comment

Working...
                                X