Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roehre

Originally posted by JoeG View Post
    One disc that I really do treasure is that of an earlier version of the 5th symphony coupled with the final version (Vanska on BIS). It is so illuminating to get such an insight into the development of a work - the final version is undoubtedly superior but the earlier version has its moments!
    The same first version of 5 is coupled to an older version of En Saga on another BIS-CD, making it possible to avoid getting 5 twice.

Comment

• JoeG

Yes indeed - I think that was the one I asked for as a Xmas present but got the two 5's. Subsequently I got another 5 as a present making a grand total of 6 including my Gibson LP, Simon Rattle, Utah Symphony Orcheatra & Sakari! (Unlike many here I usually only have one recording of a work!)

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
        The same first version of 5 is coupled to an older version of En Saga on another BIS-CD, making it possible to avoid getting 5 twice.
        And if you are very quick, you might just get it for less than a fiver (including p&p) "used - very good" via the amazon.co,uk marketplace.

Comment

• hackneyvi

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
          Anna, Sibelius is a big blind spot for me ... I have the symphonies (Ashkenazy) and violin concerto but never play them.
          Have you tried the concerto played by Heifetz and the Chicago Symphony/Walter Hendl, ER?

If not, could I suggest you nip over to Spotify and try the 3rd movement. It soars, glides, whistles and shudders, reels and crashes like a high, Atlantic autumn tide.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
            Banned
            • Jul 2011

The most beautiful of his incidental music is Pelleas and Melisande...
            Berglund's Bournemouth SO performance is wonderful but as with the earliest of his symphony-cycles, atmospherically done with the BSO, hard to find now. Try Tuomas Olila on Ondine, or the somewhat ubiquitous Vanska.

Anyone new to Sibelius will love the Four Lemminkainen Legends. Despite Scandinavian competition from Franck and Segerstam the later, stereo Ormandy reading is well-nigh unsurpassable. Try to get it on EMI-Toshiba - wow!

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
              The most beautiful of his incidental music is Pelleas and Melisande...
              It is - but The Tempest runs it mighty close: the sound of the storm itself; unimaginably demonic.

Ashkenazy's set of the tone poems and Tapiola on Double Decca: highly recommended.

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                And if you are very quick, you might just get it for less than a fiver (including p&p) "used - very good" via the amazon.co,uk marketplace.
                Of course, you could get Davis and the Lso in 5 and 6 for under ÂŁ3. Alternatively, Rattle the CBSO in 5, joined by Nige for the VC for a shade under two quid.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
                  Of course, you could get Davis and the Lso in 5 and 6 for under ÂŁ3. Alternatively, Rattle the CBSO in 5, joined by Nige for the VC for a shade under two quid.
                  Not if it's the original version of the 5th you are after (which is what had become the immediate topic).

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Recommended for the Violin Concerto: Tasmin Little (coupled with the Brahms). Of historical interest (if still available): Anthony Collins.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by hackneyvi View Post
                      Have you tried the concerto played by Heifetz and the Chicago Symphony/Walter Hendl, ER?

If not, could I suggest you nip over to Spotify and try the 3rd movement. It soars, glides, whistles and shudders, reels and crashes like a high, Atlantic autumn tide.
                      I completely agree, hackneyvi but you put it far better than I could I always shout 'Thank you Jascha' at the final flourish!

My poor neighbours

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hackneyvi View Post

Phil , many thanks for that.I can see what you mean.
                        I have a Sibelius mad friend who for years has been as baffled by my indifference to this music as I have.I will have to try again.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                          Ah, I just thopught! Jascha Heifetz's recording of Sibelius's VC! What a treasured cd that is!
                          I mentioned this earlier Hacneyvi!! It is a wonderful recording!
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Mahlerei

May I put in a word for Sibelius's organ music? The same monumental qualities as his orchestral works. The disc to go for is Kalevi Kiviniemi on Fuga. Spectacular sound as well.

Comment

• Anna

Thank you all for responding to my query. So many suggestions to consider and contemplate. Mahlerei, that's a new slant on Sibelius worth exploring as I do have a love of organ music, did he compose a lot for it? I'm actualy quite surprised he has so many devotees and feel I am learning a lot, so, once again, many thanks.

Comment

• salymap
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

And Anna, do listen to one of Ida Haendel's recordings of the violin concerto. She is very special to me and has played it all over the world. Don't have details, I'm afraid.

Comment

Working...
                                X