Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mandryka
    • Feb 2021

Who's made a good recording of the Op 64 sonatinas? Is this peak Sibelius piano music!

Comment

• richardfinegold
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
      Who's made a good recording of the Op 64 sonatinas? Is this peak Sibelius piano music!
      The peak of a very small hill. Sibelius dishes of a few ditties for the piano to pay off his debts. He didn’t share his genius with the keyboard

Comment

• boesendorfer
        • Mar 2019

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post

The peak of a very small hill. Sibelius dishes of a few ditties for the piano to pay off his debts. He didn’t share his genius with the keyboard
        I don't disagree about the great bulk of Sibelius piano music, but I've always found the Sonatinas absolutely hypnotic, and quite difficult to get just right.

Comment

• richardfinegold
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by boesendorfer View Post

I don't disagree about the great bulk of Sibelius piano music, but I've always found the Sonatinas absolutely hypnotic, and quite difficult to get just right.
          Well it’s been a while since I’ve heard any of. I have a spot of insomnia now in Paris with some jet lag and listening to Sibelius piano music might just be the cure!

Comment

• richardfinegold
            • Sep 2012

Edit-
            well unfortunately it wasn’t a cure for insomnia. I can see how one might develop some affection for these pieces if you have played through them. The other value is that they reminded me a bit of the 3rd Symphony which is supposedly neo Mozartian, an analysis that I never concurred with previously. Still, I don’t think that these will be regular listening fare for me

Comment

Working...
            X