X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Many thanks as usual Forumistas! I might go with that string quartet first. The SQ Voce Intimae.
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• LMcD
      • Sep 2017

Sibelius is the Composer of the Week. Some lesser-known pieces plus better known works, some in extract form and some in full. For me, the highlight of today's programme was an absolutely stunning recording - new to me - of the Violin Concerto by Lisa Batiashvili with the Staatskappelle Berlin conducted by Daniel Barenboim.

Comment

• Tony Halstead
        • Nov 2010

SIBELIUS: do any of our boarders know of the existence of his MASONIC MUSIC?
        Was JS a Mason?
        I have some 35-year old photocopies of his 'masonic music' with organ not orchestral accompaniment.
        Has this ever been recorded?

Comment

• subcontrabass
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Tony View Post
          SIBELIUS: do any of our boarders know of the existence of his MASONIC MUSIC?
          Was JS a Mason?
          Yes, according to this webpage: http://freemasoninformation.com/2011...masonic-lodge/

I have some 35-year old photocopies of his 'masonic music' with organ not orchestral accompaniment.
          Has this ever been recorded?
          Here: https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/jeansibelius2/from/sl1

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
            There two 2-CD sets on the label, Ultima.

0927-41355-2 Works for violin and piano, Works for cello and piano

0927-41356-2 Piano trio, string quartet, piano quintet, Kyllikki, Sonatinas 1-3, Rondinos 1&2, piano sonata, Finlandia

Might be worth a look.... I like them.
            I’ll have a look! Thanks!
            Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
              Sibelius is the Composer of the Week. Some lesser-known pieces plus better known works, some in extract form and some in full. For me, the highlight of today's programme was an absolutely stunning recording - new to me - of the Violin Concerto by Lisa Batiashvili with the Staatskappelle Berlin conducted by Daniel Barenboim.
              Wasn't it, just!!! That recording has led me to appreciate the VC very much more than previously.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Don’t usually associate Barenboim with Sibelius.
                Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• pastoralguy
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  Wasn't it, just!!! That recording has led me to appreciate the VC very much more than previously.
                  Ms. Batiashvili has recorded the Sibelius Concerto with Sakari Oramo conducting the Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra. Very fine it is too. I love both of her performances but Ida Haendel is still my favourite.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

That's one thing I hate about this programme, extracts! Either do it properly or not at all!
                    Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• LMcD
                      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                      Ms. Batiashvili has recorded the Sibelius Concerto with Sakari Oramo conducting the Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra. Very fine it is too. I love both of her performances but Ida Haendel is still my favourite.
                      It appears that this concerto last featured in 'Building a Library' in April 2009. Perhaps it's time for a fresh look at what's available.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

It appears that this concerto last featured in 'Building a Library' in April 2009. Perhaps it's time for a fresh look at what's available.
                        I've just been having a look at the versions I have of this work.

Ruggerio Ricci, Jan Damen(In the Decca Sibelius The Great Performances box set), Jennifer Pike(Chandos), and Heifetz.
                        Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                          • Aug 2015

Yes indeed - CotW and there has been a lot of music from him in other programmes too, notably Press Celebrations Music on one afternoon and then 6 Impromptus for Piano on this morning's TTN. I have a feeling that his music is starting to click with me. I was never massively in favour of him or against but a few people said that it could happen at some point.

Comment

• DracoM
                            Host
                            • Mar 2007

A good week, I'd say. A number of discoveries.

Comment

• LMcD
                              • Sep 2017

On Radio 4 Extra this coming Tuesday (20th) at 1.30 and 8.30 p.m.:
                              Sibelius: A Symphony That Burned. Gillian Reynolds talks to Sir Mark Elder, and the Helsinki Philharmonic plays extracts. (I didn't realize Sibelius hadn't burned the entire score). This is a repeat of a programme first broadcast in 2012. More details on the Radio 4 Extra website.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                                I heard her play it here. It seems that every one now slows I down to a crawl, which imo robs it of all the dramatic tension

Comment

Working...
                                X