X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anna
    • Jun 2024

Sibelius, Jean (1865-1957)

Last night, BBC4, should have been something which evidently it weren't re Sibelius. So, I find I have, and put on, firstly, violin conc, etc., which was good, remiscent of some adverts that I recall? Oh, it was by Helsinki Phil.

Then his Pohjola's daughter, which is, frankly, stonking. Then, same disc, The Oceanides, Tapiola, En Saga and The Bard (Iceland SO, Petri Sakari) This is all the Sibelius I have, should I have more, and if so, what? (I have a £25 amazon gift voucher!! Feel free to spend it on my behalf!)

Edit: these two cds were gifts and have lain, unloved and unplayed, until now.
    Last edited by Guest; 19-11-11, 01:20.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

If you like the early Sibelius, resplendant and Tchaikovskian, I strongly recommend the Second Symphony, Anna. However if, as I suspect, you go more for the later, more characteristically austere Sibelius, I wouldn't be without the Fourth Symphony. The Seventh is a model of unadorned one-movement compression of symphonic form.

Then I would go on to Peter Maxwell Davis's Fifth Symphony.

Best wishes with your investigations!

S-A

Comment

• johnb
      • Mar 2007

For less than £25 you could get either the Colin Davis Boston Symphony Orchestra set (on two Philips 'Duos') or his LSO Live set of all the symphonies. There are probably many other worthy contenders though, sadly, the Vanska set is a little beyond your budget.

The symphonies are really worth getting - each one is unique and listening to them in sequence would be a wonderful journey.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
        • Nov 2010

Anna, Sibelius is a big blind spot for me.It's clearly great music but doesn't do anything for me which is obviously my loss.I have the symphonies (Ashkenazy) and violin concerto but never play them.The string quartet was played in yesterdays lunchtime concert but left me shrugging my shoulders.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by johnb View Post
          For less than £25 you could get either the Colin Davis Boston Symphony Orchestra set (on two Philips 'Duos') or his LSO Live set of all the symphonies. There are probably many other worthy contenders though, sadly, the Vanska set is a little beyond your budget.

The symphonies are really worth getting - each one is unique and listening to them in sequence would be a wonderful journey.
          Absolutely right - and the recording industry has done Sibelius proud over the years. Other sets worth considering are Ashkenazy and Maazel. There have been some wonderful recordings of individual symphonies - worthy of mention imo are Kletzki and Szell in the 2nd and Karajan in the 5th (especially when coupled with his truly awesome 'Tapiola'). There's also a 2-CD set (EMI Forte?) of tone poems and incidental pieces - including some of the lesser-known - with the BSO under Berglund. What musical joys await you!
          (I forgot to mention the powerfully descriptive 'Lemminkainen Legends' - I can recommend Gibson and the (then non-royal?) SNO.
          Last edited by Guest; 19-11-11, 10:54. Reason: Additional recommendation

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johnb View Post
            sadly, the Vanska set is a little beyond your budget.
            Yes the CD box is still not far off £40 but amazingly (or perhaps not) the equivalent mp3 offering of all the symphonies with Tapiola thrown in, is a comparative snip at £13.98

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sibelius-Com...1728698&sr=1-7
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Ahem. Everything in that symphonies box (at least, I think it's everything) plus lots and lots more is in:

Ah, "The Essential Sibelius" does not have the original version of the 5th. I got that separately.

Comment

• JoeG

Anna - as you are enjoying the tone poems you have hours of listening pleasure ahead with the symphonies- as well as those mentioned above there is also a good set on Naxos by Sakari & the Iceland SO - I assume your tone poem set is on the same label. I must admit Kulervo is a blind spot for me - I keep listening to it but apart from a few rousing sections I can see why Sibelius would rather it was not heard (though I will never forgive him for burning his 8th Symphony!) My recommendation in order of listening would be 5 (possibly the greatest) 1 (chocked full of good tunes but very romantic) 2 (for the big tunes in the second half) 3 (when he develops his own voice) 6 (melodic and thoughtful) 7 (a masterpiece of compression) 4 (bleak but truly beautiful). After that, if you are not already a fan, progress to the symphonies of Vaughan Williams

(@ Rob - we have so many musical tastes in common I am astounded to find you are not a Sibelian - please try again :-)

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by JoeG View Post
                  I must admit Kulervo is a blind spot for me - I keep listening to it but apart from a few rousing sections I can see why Sibelius would rather it was not heard (though I will never forgive him for burning his 8th Symphony!) My recommendation in order of listening would be 5 (possibly the greatest) 1 (chocked full of good tunes but very romantic) 2 (for the big tunes in the second half) 3 (when he develops his own voice) 6 (melodic and thoughtful) 7 (a masterpiece of compression) 4 (bleak but truly beautiful). After that, if you are not already a fan, progress to the symphonies of Vaughan Williams

I think I agree with all that, Joe... with the exceptions that: (1) I love the orchestral introduction to Kullervo; and (2) I might promote no 6 slightly higher in the order of listening... the first movement is so wonderful that I imagine Anna really taking to it!

But about No 5 we are ad idem
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• JoeG

Good point, Caliban - the orchestral opening always fills me with optimism which is quickly dispersed by the rather indulgent (and occasionally, it has to be said, tedious remainder - having said that if only I had a thousandth of the talent of Sibelius I would be happy! I now prefer 6 to 2 & 3 but think they are possibly more accessible - though 3 also took a little getting into - indeed I was listening to 6 just the other day and was reminded of its beauty.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                      Banned
                      • Jul 2011

Don't overlook Kurt Sanderling's symphony cycle with the burnished Berlin Symphony - not a weak performance anywhere, rich and immediate Berlin Christuskirche soundstage, and a great Nightride and Sunrise thrown in, best presented on Berlin Classics.

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

The first Sibelius disc I ever bought was a Pye Golden Guinea of Sir John Rubber Brolly conducting his Hallé Orchestra in the 5th Symphony and Pohjola's Daughter. I will have to investigate whether those recordings have made it to CD format. I remember them with great affection.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

I have the Ashkenazy Decca box of the orchestral music. Very good it is too!! I am not sure of the price of the Vanks Tone Poems, though? I cant remember off hand!! They are worth a look to!
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• JoeG

One disc that I really do treasure is that of an earlier version of the 5th symphony coupled with the final version (Vanska on BIS). It is so illuminating to get such an insight into the development of a work - the final version is undoubtedly superior but the earlier version has its moments!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

Ah, I just thopught! Jascha Heifetz's recording of Sibelius's VC! What a treasured cd that is!
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                              X