Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Quarky
    • Dec 2010

Steve Reich is very regularly broadcast on France Musique. The link here gives a record of performances podcasts etc - 79 in total - use "voir plus". I couldn't find specific mention of the two works you identified (Bryn is no longer with us)::::
    https://www.radiofrance.fr/recherche?term=steve+reich&entity=EXPRESSIONS_ARTI CLES&p=4&cursor=NA%3D%3D

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Quarky View Post
      Steve Reich is very regularly broadcast on France Musique. The link here gives a record of performances podcasts etc - 79 in total - use "voir plus". I couldn't find specific mention of the two works you identified (Bryn is no longer with us)::::
      https://www.radiofrance.fr/recherche?term=steve+reich&entity=EXPRESSIONS_ARTI CLES&p=4&cursor=NA%3D%3D
      It must be all that Ravel in Reich's (later) harmony.

Comment

• Mandryka
        • Feb 2021

Originally posted by ScotOp69 View Post
        For some reason both Drumming & Music for 18 Musicians are the two which are programmed ad infinitum, whilst his true masterworks like the Variations for Winds Strings & Keyboards & most certainly Music for a Large Ensemble are never performed. To Bryn if you ever read this I'd love to hear that early version of Music for Mallet Instruments Voices & Organ.
        Apart from the very early pieces I'd plump for The Cave, WTC 9/11 and possibly the Daniel Variations. I just noticed a recording of Jacob's Ladder on YouTube.

Comment

• ScotOp69
          • Mar 2024

Yes I listened to Jacob'c Ladder on YouTube. Just another disappointment for me. I think Reich (like Glass) had about 15 really good years and then it's all diminishing returns. His harmonic pallette completely soured and for me the last great thing he ever wrote was the "You Are" Variations from 20 years ago which sounded like a real return to form. I guess at least he hasn't went down the same road as Glass in scribbling any old dreck for money. I heard the Premiere of his 3rd Piano Concerto a few years ago in London. It sounded like watered down Brahms. What a lot of shit.

Comment

• ScotOp69
            • Mar 2024

Thankyou for the link Quarky!

Comment

• Mandryka
              • Feb 2021

Yes I listened to Jacob'c Ladder on YouTube. Just another disappointment for me. I think Reich (like Glass) had about 15 really good years and then it's all diminishing returns. His harmonic pallette completely soured and for me the last great thing he ever wrote was the "You Are" Variations from 20 years ago which sounded like a real return to form. I guess at least he hasn't went down the same road as Glass in scribbling any old dreck for money. I heard the Premiere of his 3rd Piano Concerto a few years ago in London. It sounded like watered down Brahms. What a lot of shit.
              Part of the reason I like the later music more is those harmonies you don't like. I get bored very quickly with things like 18 musicians. Re Glass, I think well of some of the later string quartets as played by Brooklyn Rider. I also enjoyed some operas-- La Belle et la Bête and The Photographer, but they're not so late.

Comment

• ScotOp69
                • Mar 2024

For me the apex for Glass was Satyagraha. Astonishing music. But I guess if all you've got to work on are arpeggios your going to very quickly run out of ideas. Making maximum effects out of minimal material is limiting.

Comment

• Quarky
                  • Dec 2010

Jacob's Ladder doesn't have the complexity of say Music for 18 Musicians or, as in the recent Prom, Stravinsky's Symphony in 3 movements or Elgar's Enigma Variations, but Steve set himself a task, and IMV he succeeded:
                  Composer Steve Reich discusses his compositional approach and inspiration for his 2023 work, "Jacob's Ladder" for large ensemble and voices. The 20-minute pi...

In his own words, any melodic movement up, holding or down is suggestive of a ladder. Further he is composing "music you want".
                  The ladder appears to be safely installed; I could see the work suiting some religious or meditative function.

Comment

• smittims
                    • Aug 2022

I found it disappointing after 'Drumming' and other works of his 'golden years': much less creative and intellectually-stimuating than, say , Penderecki's Jacob's Dream.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                      I found it disappointing after 'Drumming' and other works of his 'golden years': much less creative and intellectually-stimuating than, say , Penderecki's Jacob's Dream.
                      ....yes, very much by numbers commission ....what a shame....still....
                      bong ching

Comment

Working...
                      X