• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Rott, Hans (1858 - 84)

I switched on the car radio to hear something I knew not...Mahler but not quite Mahler....and I was fairly bowled over by it insofar as one can be whilst driving. It turned out to be the Scherzo (of Mahlerian proportion) from Rott's 1st Symphony. Apparently Mahler was highly influenced by him (and pretty much nicked the Scherzo's main theme) and I just wonder why Herr Rott is so little-known. By me at any rate.

Petroc Trelawny presents Radio 3's classical breakfast show, featuring listener requests.

(last but one item in the programme...just before Poulenc Piano Improvisation)

Any Rott fans?
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    I switched on the car radio to hear something I knew not...Mahler but not quite Mahler....and I was fairly bowled over by it insofar as one can be whilst driving. It turned out to be the Scherzo (of Mahlerian proportion) from Rott's 1st Symphony. Apparently Mahler was highly influenced by him (and pretty much nicked the Scherzo's main theme) and I just wonder why Herr Rott is so little-known. By me at any rate.

Petroc Trelawny presents Radio 3's classical breakfast show, featuring listener requests.

(last but one item in the programme...just before Poulenc Piano Improvisation)

Any Rott fans?
    Check out post #1 on the Mahler 1 thread.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
      • Jan 2016

He's little known because he died young and didn't write very much, and what he did write consists (IMO) of brilliant moments - as Mahler recognised and more or less quoted - embedded in somewhat turgid orchestrations and structures, as if the music hasn't quite come into focus. What he might have achieved had he lived longer is tantalising to speculate on.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
        He's little known because he died young and didn't write very much, and what he did write consists (IMO) of brilliant moments - as Mahler recognised and more or less quoted - embedded in somewhat turgid orchestrations and structures, as if the music hasn't quite come into focus. What he might have achieved had he lived longer is tantalising to speculate on.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

Rott has been championed by S. Rattle. I posted this recently.

Comment

• ardcarp
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Fascinating, thank you. I have to say, though, I didn't find Hans Rott's
            brilliant moments......embedded in somewhat turgid orchestrations
            as I heard the Scherzo this morning. He was using the orchestra in a most original fashion, especially in [what might be called] the trio section where textures where thinned down to a mere two or three parts at times, very much foreshadowing Mahler. Great horn writing BTW.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
              • Jan 2016

Fascinating, thank you. I have to say, though, I didn't find Hans Rott's

as I heard the Scherzo this morning. He was using the orchestra in a most original fashion, especially in [what might be called] the trio section where textures where thinned down to a mere two or three parts at times, very much foreshadowing Mahler. Great horn writing BTW.
              Have a listen to the whole symphony and you'll probably see what I mean. I agree with you but elsewhere there's a lot of needless filling-out of textures. Or at least so I remember, I haven't heard it for a while.

Comment

• Gordon
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                Rott has been championed by S. Rattle. I posted this recently.
                Indeed Sir SR did champion the piece even holding up and pointing at the score after the performance! Quite a revelation from Rott who was a pupil of Bruckner. I agree that the rest of the work isn't quite as lively as the scherzo. Despite the obscrity there re several recordings available.

Quite a taut and disciplined Bruckner 6 for second half - the OAE clearly enjoyed themselves. Interesting orchestral layout too - seconds on right a la Boult and Klemperer and basses arranged across the back aslo a la Klemperer at the RFH all thsee years ago.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Apparently Mahler was highly influenced by him (and pretty much nicked the Scherzo's main theme) and I just wonder why Herr Rott is so little-known. By me at any rate.
                  Maybe after the Bruckner, the Rott set in?

(Maybe I should get my coat!)

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                    Ex-member
                    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    Maybe after the Bruckner, the Rott set in?

(Maybe I should get my coat!)

That’s very witty (as we used to say).

Comment

• Bella Kemp
                      • Aug 2014

Hans Rott

I have long been fascinated by this composer who I first heard when I turned on Radio 3 one afternoon during the middle of his first symphony. I spent a bemused half hour wondering if someone had uncovered a new Mahler masterpiece. A fine and sensitive composer.

Comment

Working...
                      X