X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    Oh I thought they were actually composed that way!

(I'll get me coat...)
    I do wonder whether some composers in the 30s and 40s had the side length of a 78 in their sights when composing shorter pieces

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      I do wonder whether some composers in the 30s and 40s had the side length of a 78 in their sights when composing shorter pieces
      Well Stravinsky certainly did in the case of his Serenade in A for piano.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        I'm as puzzled as Alpie, Bbm - the S F & T is a work for concert band (woodwinds, brass, and perks): what have you "transcribed"?
        From Wikipedia:

'The Funeral and Triumphal Symphony was originally scored for a wind band of 200 players marching the procession accompanying the remains of those who had died fighting in the 1830 revolution on their way to reinterment beneath a memorial column erected on the site of the Bastille. On the day of the parade, little of the 3rd movement could be heard over the cheering crowds on the column when the ceremony was about to end as it was about to be reprised while the 1st and 3rd movements were heard during the procession and the 2nd during the dedication proper; but the work was such a success at the dress rehearsal that it was performed twice more in August and became one of the composer's most popular works during his lifetime.[4] Berlioz revised the score in January 1842, adding an optional part for strings and a final chorus to a text by Antony Deschamps. Richard Wagner attended a performance of this new version at the Salle Vivienne on 1 February 1842. On 5 February, he told Robert Schumann that he found passages in the last movement of Berlioz's symphony so "magnificent and sublime that they can never be surpassed." '

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          I'm as puzzled as Alpie, Bbm - the S F & T is a work for concert band (woodwinds, brass, and perks): what have you "transcribed"?
          I have transcribed it for modern concert band, Alpie and Ferney. Yes I know about the history of F & TS very well and what the reason for it was too. But the modern concert band is slightly different to that in which Berlioz scored it for. Nevertheless, with this medium in mind(the modern concert band), its very well into the criteria that Berlioz had intended, of which I am very pleased in what I have done and so have other people, who have given me high praise for my work on this.
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
            • Dec 2010

Mention of the SFetT prompted some research. I had not realised that I was unaware of the disappearance two years ago of the great Désiré Dondeyne. (In truth I had not realised he lived to that age). Not only do I have two recordings of it by him, he once conducted me (with several hundred others) in a performance of it.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
              I have transcribed it for modern concert band, Alpie and Ferney. Yes I know about the history of F & TS very well and what the reason for it was too. But the modern concert band is slightly different to that in which Berlioz scored it for. Nevertheless, with this medium in mind(the modern concert band), its very well into the criteria that Berlioz had intended, of which I am very pleased in what I have done and so have other people, who have given me high praise for my work on this.

Ah! Understood and appreciated.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                • Jan 2016

I have transcribed it for modern concert band
                So what are the differences between a modern concert band and the one Berlioz wrote for? (I've never got to know this piece, should do so I suppose...)

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                  So what are the differences between a modern concert band and the one Berlioz wrote for? (I've never got to know this piece, should do so I suppose...)
                  Berlioz's:-
                  4 piccolos
                  5 flutes
                  5 oboes
                  5 clarinets(Eb)
                  26 clarinets(bb)
                  2 bass clarinets
                  8 bassoons & contrabassoon
                  12 horns(various keys)
                  8 trumpets
                  10 trombones and bass trombone
                  6 opheicliedes
                  timpani(8 players)
                  percussion(3 players)
                  This was for the first performance in the open air. Hence the numbers.

My version for modern concert band

Piccolo
                  Eb & Alto Flute
                  Oboes
                  Cor Anglais
                  Bassoons & contrabassoon
                  Eb Clarinets
                  Bb Clarinets
                  Bass Clarinet & contrabass clarinet
                  Saxophones: Altos, Tenors and baritone
                  Trumpets
                  Cornets and Flugelhorn
                  Horns in F
                  3 Trombones and bass trombone
                  Euphonium
                  Tubas
                  Assorted percussion.

Hope this clarifies the situation but the concert band instrumentation is the one I usually use, with occasional visiting instruments.
                  Last edited by BBMmk2; 23-03-17, 16:02.
                  Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                    • Jan 2016

Thanks Bbm.

Piccolo
                    Eb & Alto Flute
                    No ordinary flutes?! & how do you manage to hear an alto flute in an ensemble like that?

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

Thanks Bbm.

No ordinary flutes?! & how do you manage to hear an alto flute in an ensemble like that?
                      Good question but composers ask for them but, imo, I usually omit(which I should have said).
                      Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                        • Jan 2016

The Eb flute must be more or less exclusive to wind bands too, right? I'm very surprised it's not just a C flute that's used.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

The Eb flute must be more or less exclusive to wind bands too, right? I'm very surprised it's not just a C flute that's used.
                          Yes your right. Hardly ever appears in orchestras, only in either military or concert bands, etc.
                          Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• visualnickmos
                            • Nov 2010

That's really great! Again, I've learned something; about the fact that Berlioz scored the work for concert band, and the fact that that differs from a modern concert band. For me, this is really fascinating - which one reason I love this forum. Yet another example of the sheer talent, skill and knowledge that abounds these hallowed boards. It makes,me - a mere 'listener' of music, feel quite insignificant! There must be many examples of works rescored, rearranged, and so on - that are perhaps not well-known? I think Liszt was a dab-hand of piano arrangements, for example....

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                              That's really great! Again, I've learned something; about the fact that Berlioz scored the work for concert band, and the fact that that differs from a modern concert band. For me, this is really fascinating - which one reason I love this forum. Yet another example of the sheer talent, skill and knowledge that abounds these hallowed boards. It makes,me - a mere 'listener' of music, feel quite insignificant! There must be many examples of works rescored, rearranged, and so on - that are perhaps not well-known? I think Liszt was a dab-hand of piano arrangements, for example....
                              And you could say a dab couple of hands at performing them!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                                Late Member
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                                He had done an awful lot!
                                Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                                X