• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Master Jacques
    • Feb 2012

Originally posted by sgjames View Post
    A video of the 1992 BBC Ken Russell film ' The Mystery of Dr Martinu' -

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Not from Russell's top drawer, but worth a look for Martinu fans at least.
    Thank you very much for the link - I've been looking for this for a long while!

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
      Banned
      • Jul 2011

The Prague Radio Martinu piano concertos are finally here.... Royal Mail red card on Tuesday, booked redelivery to local PO for Thursday....not there......
      Phoned Friday....zero...niente.....

So a damn-near £10 round taxi trip to the not-so-local depot...where there was also a mysteriously large Amazon package for me....with ta-daa! Clingfilm in it......

Still, at least it was sunny & the driver friendly & richly-storied......
      If I can recover any enthusiasm I might get the shrink-wrap off before dawn...

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
        The Prague Radio Martinu piano concertos are finally here.... Royal Mail red card on Tuesday, booked redelivery to local PO for Thursday....not there......
        Phoned Friday....zero...niente.....

So a damn-near £10 round taxi trip to the not-so-local depot...where there was also a mysteriously large Amazon package for me....with ta-daa! Clingfilm in it......

Still, at least it was sunny & the driver friendly & richly-storied......
        If I can recover any enthusiasm I might get the shrink-wrap off before dawn...
        Thankfully it arrived.

I have listened to a fair amount of Martinu, recently. I’m hooked.
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Pulcinella
          Host
          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by sgjames View Post
          A video of the 1992 BBC Ken Russell film ' The Mystery of Dr Martinu' -

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Not from Russell's top drawer, but worth a look for Martinu fans at least.
          Spoiler alert (though probably not necessary for anyone who has heard of Ken Russell): lots of naked flesh on view.

Quite enjoyed it though (the music, not the flesh, that is!).

Can't stop listening to the new PC4 (Incantation) recording that jlw alerted us to.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
            Banned
            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
            Spoiler alert (though probably not necessary for anyone who has heard of Ken Russell): lots of naked flesh on view.

Quite enjoyed it though (the music, not the flesh, that is!).

Can't stop listening to the new PC4 (Incantation) recording that jlw alerted us to.
            I listened to the Koukl again recently fearing Kahanek/Hrusa would put it in the shade, but - not at all! Less polish and tonal glamour, but stunningly dramatic, risky and on-the-edge - the whole Naxos set stuns me more every time I return....

Let's see how the multi-pianist Prague RadioServis set compares.... I notice Kahanek is there too, but playing No.5, not the 4th...
            The Prague RSO is a very good Martinu orchestra, witness their wonderfully quirky off-the-beaten Symphony Cycle with Vladimir Valek (recorded in just two days!)...it has my favourite 5th Symphony in it...(ultra-transparent, surprisingly slow tempi, works brilliantly..)

Comment

• Pulcinella
              Host
              • Feb 2014

I spotted this in a shop in town this afternoon and splashed out .
              Very good condition s/h copy (though not much cheaper than the price quoted here).

Martinu and the symphony, by Michael Crump

A quick search didn't reveal any mention of it in this thread, but it looks like being a good read for anyone who like me is interested in Martinu's music.
              I thought that this was a better place to post than the What are you reading now thread.

Comment

• RichardB
                Banned
                • Nov 2021

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                A quick search didn't reveal any mention of it in this thread, but it looks like being a good read for anyone who like me is interested in Martinu's music.
                I thought that this was a better place to post than the What are you reading now thread.
                I would certainly read that if I had a chance.

Comment

• muzzer
                  • Nov 2013

Likewise. I look forward to reading your review, pulchinella.

Comment

Working...
                  X