X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Respighi, Ottorino (1879 - 1936)

It may seem somewhat surprising that this well-known composer has not been included in our list - possibly it has something to do with his self-ingratiation with the Mussolini régime. So I am consciously separating art from artist in opening his thread with this atypical but beautiful Late Romantic Impressionist pastoral tone poem quasi violin concerto, written in 1925, which I encountered for the first time this morning on Through The Night, mistakenly if understandably thinking it must be an overlooked piece by either Kodaly or Hanson.

Poema autunnale for Violin and Orchestra.Soloist: Julia FischerOrchestra: Orchestre Philharmonique de Monte-CarloConductor: Yakov KreizbergComposer: Ottorino...
  • hmvman
    • Mar 2007

One of my favourite composers, S_A. I hadn't realised he wasn't in our composers list I recently came across his beautiful piano piece Valse Caressante.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
      • Jan 2011

His Stabat Mater with Andreas Scholl and Barbara Bonney with Les Talens Lyriques is one of my favourites.

Comment

• smittims
        • Aug 2022

For an Italian composer writing a piece for violin and orchestra about Autumn, Vivaldi must have loomed, but Respighi writes quite an original work here.

I think it cannot be denied that Respighi was uneven, and for many years was close to being a 'one-hit wonder '. But some of his songs are wonderful, especially 'Il Tramonto' which gets an airing occasionally, surely a unique masterpiece in its way; like the Brahms Alto Rhasody, there's nothing quite like it.

Comment

• hmvman
          • Mar 2007

Agree about the inconsistency, smittims, especially in the earlier works. However, he was, I think, an absolutely superb orchestrator!

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
            His Stabat Mater with Andreas Scholl and Barbara Bonney with Les Talens Lyriques is one of my favourites.

Oops?
            Respighi not Pergolesi, OG.

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

Oops?
              ... ahhh, that's better. Respighi (along with Weill) among my least favourite composers : Pergolesi (along with many others) among my favourites...

Comment

• RichardB
                Banned
                • Nov 2021

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                It may seem somewhat surprising that this well-known composer has not been included in our list
                True, but surely most of his work is unsubtle and unmemorable, except perhaps in its orchestration... or am I mistaken?

Comment

• Pulcinella
                  Host
                  • Feb 2014

Originally posted by RichardB View Post
                  True, but surely most of his work is unsubtle and unmemorable, except perhaps in its orchestration... or am I mistaken?
                  Probably mostly true, but The Roman Trilogy is a good introduction for youngsters: the 'birdy' music and the soldiers marching.

Have you heard Il tramonto (especially with Janet Baker singing)?

Respighi: Aretusa - Lauda Per La Natività - Il Tramonto - Trittico Botticelliano. Collins Classics: CC-1349. Buy download online. Janet Baker (mezzo-soprano), Patricia Rosario (soprano), Louise Winter (mezzo-soprano) City of London Sinfonia, Richard Hickox Singers, Richard Hickox

Comment

• RichardB
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2021

the 'birdy' music and the soldiers marching
                    Those were exactly the moments I had in mind! Looking forward to trying out whatever recommendations turn up here though.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by RichardB View Post
                      Those were exactly the moments I had in mind! Looking forward to trying out whatever recommendations turn up here though.
                      I meant the nightingale in the Janiculum (as I'm sure you realised) not The Birds per se, which I'm not a great admirer of.
                      But as well as the trilogy there's Church windows (though is there a recording with decent rather than somewhat artificial organ sound?) and the Three Botticelli Pictures.

Here's a thought: Compare and contrast Respighi's Trittico Botticelliano (1927) with Martinu's Fresques de Piero della Francesca (1953).

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                        • Jan 2011

Oops?
                        Oh dear...

Comment

• Sir Velo
                          • Oct 2012

OK, it seems I'm going out on a limb here but I'll admit to a guilty pleasure in loving the full on technicolour of Respighi's Roman trilogy. Although, to be perfectly honest, I don't feel the need to apologise at all!. Apart from the rather wonderful Pines, Belkis, Queen of Sheba is another shamelessly OTT orchestral bacchanale which deserves more than the occasional airing..

Comment

• hmvman
                            • Mar 2007

I regard Trittico Botticelliano​ as a masterpiece. I love all three of the Roman works and technicolor is a great adjective to use. I've often wondered if Respighi had lived longer whether he would've composed for the cinema. His film scores would've been something to marvel at!

Comment

• Pulcinella
                              Host
                              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
                              I regard Trittico Botticelliano​ as a masterpiece. I love all three of the Roman works and technicolor is a great adjective to use. I've often wondered if Respighi had lived longer whether he would've composed for the cinema. His film scores would've been something to marvel at!

I remember being disappointed by an NYOGB Proms performance under Petrenko of Feste (later issued as part of a BBC MM CD) though; it was too much of a scramble.
                              Boston/Ozawa, Montreal/Dutoit, and Philadelphia/Ormandy high up the list for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X