X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by RichardB View Post
    True, but surely most of his work is unsubtle and unmemorable, except perhaps in its orchestration... or am I mistaken?
    In the way Respighi amalgamated influences as wide-ranging as Wagner, Strauss, Mahler, Rimsky-Korsakov, Debussy and "Petruschka"-era Stravinsky into one swooning great sonorous gloop was almost unique, I think, before it became something of a model for later film music clichés; it also makes him something of an Italian Bax equivalent... or maybe Bax a Respighi equivalent! For some of us adolescents this sort of music (Bax, Respighi, Rachmaninov & co) was an open door into more modern idioms, and for that reason it retained a degree of affection even though we grew out of it.

Comment

• hmvman
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

I remember being disappointed by an NYOGB Proms performance under Petrenko of Feste (later issued as part of a BBC MM CD) though; it was too much of a scramble.
      Boston/Ozawa, Montreal/Dutoit, and Philadelphia/Ormandy high up the list for me.
      The Montreal/Dutoit recording is breathtaking, performance-wise and sound quality-wise. It's my go-to version.

Comment

• hmvman
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

In the way Respighi amalgamated influences as wide-ranging as Wagner, Strauss, Mahler, Rimsky-Korsakov, Debussy and "Petruschka"-era Stravinsky into one swooning great sonorous gloop was almost unique, I think, before it became something of a model for later film music clichés; it also makes him something of an Italian Bax equivalent... or maybe Bax a Respighi equivalent! For some of us adolescents this sort of music (Bax, Respighi, Rachmaninov & co) was an open door into more modern idioms, and for that reason it retained a degree of affection even though we grew out of it.
        I've tended to equate him with Vaughan Williams: writing in a 'modern' style but with an appreciation and acknowledgement of music of past eras.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by hmvman View Post

I've tended to equate him with Vaughan Williams: writing in a 'modern' style but with an appreciation and acknowledgement of music of past eras.
          Maybe the early Vaughan Williams of In the Fen Country, with its ill-digested (albeit fascinating) Straussian chromaticism without the latter's irritating mannerisms, but the later RVW became much leaner than did Respighi, I would say.

Comment

• smittims
            • Aug 2022

By coincidence, next Monday (6 November) 'Radio3 in Concert features the Roman Trilogy. Me? I've been stimulated by this discussion to clean my copy of BLP 1011 and hear Arturo Toscanini and the NBC S.O. roar their way through 'Feste Romane' one more time.

Comment

• Pulcinella
              Host
              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by smittims View Post
              By coincidence, next Monday (6 November) 'Radio3 in Concert features the Roman Trilogy. Me? I've been stimulated by this discussion to clean my copy of BLP 1011 and hear Arturo Toscanini and the NBC S.O. roar their way through 'Feste Romane' one more time.
              Recorded last month at the Auditorium, Parco della Musica, Rome, and introduced by Fiona Talkington.

Respighi: Pines of Rome
              Liszt: O Roma Nobilis, S. 54
              Respighi: Fountains of Rome
              Liszt: Dall’Alma Roma, S. 36
              Respighi: Roman Festivals

Santa Cecilia Chorus and Orchestra
              Iván Fischer (conductor)

Pappano says this about the pieces for his recording (which got well received)

"I feel very honoured and privileged to be able to conduct this music with the Orchestra of the Academy of Santa Cecilia not only because it's my orchestra now but because the Fountains and the Pines of Rome were written for this orchestra and were premiered by this orchestra. And the Roman Festivals were premiered by the New York Philharmonic with Toscanini conducting but this orchestra played the Italian premiere." Antonio Pappano

Comment

• smittims
                • Aug 2022

I look forward to hearing the Liszt too. It may sound absurd to call Liszt 'underrated', but so much of his vast output is little known. I love his Psalm XIII, The Night Procession, and 'From the Cradle to the Grave', all profoundly moving .

Comment

• hmvman
                  • Mar 2007

Definitely something to look forward to! Thanks for the 'heads up'.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                    Host
                    • Feb 2014

This new recording of the Roman trilogy get a very good review from Edward Seckerson in November's Gramophone, which has just popped through the door.

Respighi: Roman Trilogy. Ondine: ODE1425-2. Buy CD or download online. Orchestra Sinfonica di Torino della RAI, Robert Trevino

Comment

• PatrickMurtha
                      • Nov 2023

With Respighi, the most famous pieces, although enjoyable, are hardly the best. For example, among his string quartets - I think there are eight full-length ones, not all numbered - I have heard three, No. 3, D ma (P. 53), the Quartetto Dorico (P. 144), and the D mi (P. 91), and all are splendid.

In fact, my listening notes are full of positive comments on such Respighi compositions as the Piano Quintet, Concerto gregoriano (violin), and Concerto in the Mixolydian Mode (piano). So he is a composer who repays digging expeditions.

Comment

• hmvman
                        • Mar 2007

Agree with you, Patrick, that there is plenty to explore away from the most frequently played works. Another one which come to mind, and of which I'm very fond, is the Concerto All' Antica for violin.

Comment

• PatrickMurtha
                          • Nov 2023

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
                          Agree with you, Patrick, that there is plenty to explore away from the most frequently played works. Another one which come to mind, and of which I'm very fond, is the Concerto All' Antica for violin.
                          I will check that out! I have been meaning to listen to his opera La campana sommersa as well.

Comment

• Aotearoa
                            • May 2014

I love the exuberant joyfulness of his Bergamasca from Suite 2. And I do find it is a very regular on TTN - the version performed by a less well known Canadian orchestra - I want to say it was conducted by Raffi Armenian but I sense I have the wrong conductor there (the somewhat obscure Kitchener Waterloo Symphony used to feature him regularly but it may have been the Vancouver).

Comment

• LMcD
                              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Aotearoa View Post
                              I love the exuberant joyfulness of his Bergamasca from Suite 2. And I do find it is a very regular on TTN - the version performed by a less well known Canadian orchestra - I want to say it was conducted by Raffi Armenian but I sense I have the wrong conductor there (the somewhat obscure Kitchener Waterloo Symphony used to feature him regularly but it may have been the Vancouver).
                              Possibly the orchestra of the Conservatoire de Musique du Quebec a Montreal?

Comment

• gurnemanz
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

Respighi (along with Weill) among my least favourite composers
                                I mainly avoided Respighi for about 50 years (unlike Weill, who I played often) but have recently partly changed my mind, via a couple of free Naxos monthly downloads eg this one in March 23. Primavera is an exuberant spring cantata. He had written in a letter to his future wife, who he married in 1919: "Your entry into my life, Elsa, brings Spring into my soul”. The song cycle, Quattro Liriche su parole di poeti armeni was written for her to sing with him on piano. I find this Naxos recording of it very appealing, in a new version, accompanied by a chamber ensemble. It was recorded in 1994 and, amazingly, Elsa was still around at 100 years old to approve of it. Ottorino died in 1936.

Comment

Working...
                                X