Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don Petter

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    He can do something I struggle with - playing the piano while singing.
    There's singing and singing ...

Comment

• ahinton
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
      There's singing and singing ...
      And there's piano playing and piano playing!...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

To say nothing of struggling and struggling.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
          • Nov 2010

and there's piano music and piano music.

Comment

• ahinton
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            To say nothing of struggling and struggling.
            !!!

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

Bet his publisher is delighted.

Comment

• Gordon
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                Bet his publisher is delighted.
                Indeed! In an S4C documentary [in Welsh and English] about KJ a B&H person stated that over 120,000 scores had been sold [at the time of the programme]; I assume that this is a lot for a large scale choral piece. It seems that somewhere in the world there is a performance of The Armed Man every few days!! Somebody likes him - as do CFM.

In that same programme Norman Lebrecht gave us the benefit of his opinion which was tinged with a bite at conservative critics. Apparently, according to one contributor, once R3 refused to transmit KJ's Dewi Sant [St David]!! Didn't say why.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Gordon View Post
                  Apparently, according to one contributor, once R3 refused to transmit KJ's Dewi Sant [St David]!! Didn't say why.

R3 "refuse" to transmit most of the music in existence.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
                    • Nov 2010

I
                    Originally posted by Gordon View Post
                    Indeed! In an S4C documentary [in Welsh and English] about KJ a B&H person stated that over 120,000 scores had been sold [at the time of the programme]; I assume that this is a lot for a large scale choral piece. It seems that somewhere in the world there is a performance of The Armed Man every few days!! Somebody likes him - as do CFM.
                    It's for choral societies and audiences who find War Requiem too difficult.....

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
                      I

It's for choral societies and audiences who find War Requiem too difficult.....

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Wow! Someone has discovered that simply-harmonised, presumably tuneful music scored for choirs and orchestras makes money. How come nobody else has?

In the late 1960s/early 70s Karl Jenkins used to be a composer of jazz tunes, and played keyboards, oboe and saxophones in Graham Collier Music, Ian Carr's Nucleus and Soft Machine, demonstrating a trajectory from pushing the boundaries in all these fields to increasing self-imposed creative limitation. I guess he's managed to square this with his aesthetic conscience...

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

I know that some people don find that works such as Britten's War Requiem, can be too heavy going for them What is wrong with that? it doesn't really matter, imo.Some people are like that but to appreciate something that is rather simply composed, that doesn't matter either? Some out there, I feel have somewhat a kind of 'musical snobbery'?
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Mary Chambers
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                            I know that some people don find that works such as Britten's War Requiem, can be too heavy going for them What is wrong with that? it doesn't really matter, imo.Some people are like that but to appreciate something that is rather simply composed, that doesn't matter either? Some out there, I feel have somewhat a kind of 'musical snobbery'?
                            There's nothing really wrong with it, IF taking the easy option doesn't mean that the more challenging options are neglected. I don't like the idea of amateur choirs avoiding Bach and Britten and others because they mean more effort. I believe in stretching people's abilities (audience's as well as performers'). How else do you learn? How do people discover the harder stuff if they don't attempt it?

Comment

• tigajen

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post

Comment

• edashtav
                                • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
                                There's nothing really wrong with it, IF taking the easy option doesn't mean that the more challenging options are neglected. I don't like the idea of amateur choirs avoiding Bach and Britten and others because they mean more effort. I believe in stretching people's abilities (audience's as well as performers'). How else do you learn? How do people discover the harder stuff if they don't attempt it?
                                Well written , Mary, I'm 100% in agreement with you.

Comment

Working...
                                X