X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gordon
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Tony View Post
    I did hope that the thread would be about John Jenkins, the composer of sublime viol music...
    Ah well....
    Yes indeed, magic. Sorry about that!! I tried to be a bit too coy in the title!! I doubt that JJ was Welsh. The other Welsh Jenkins of course avoided that Welsh stigma and changed his name to Burton.

I have played the French horn in several performances of KJ's 'Armed Man' Mass and have noted that it does indeed seem to have a powerfully emotional effect on its audiences.
    Yes, exactly why I posted. Your comment says something about the audiences who maybe have no pretentions and come with innocent ears. And did you and your colleagues, like Fhg, find it tedious to play your part? Did they actually think of it as just another job or did they also engage with it as people?

It is not great music but there was an appeal that came across that engaged my attention [as well as FF's lady that emailed having heard the same programme] and it intrigued me. Lots of people really enjoy its appeal; the responses here tell me that I must just be a pleb at heart.

As for emotional or sentimental - what's the real difference? Those audiences leave the hall feeling that they have had an experience to be valued. I have been to performances of Peter Maxwell Davies' music [to name but one feted modern] I can't say I left with a spring in my step.
    Last edited by Gordon; 10-01-15, 20:45.

Comment

• Rosie55
      • Oct 2011

As a Hoddinott fan, I thought I would contribute as I received the excellent new Chandos disc of Euphonium concerti played by David Childs and the BBC NOW. The Hoddinott concerto (The Sunne Rising - The King Will Ride) inspired by John Dunne's poems on hunting is immediately followed by Karl Jenkins work which sounds somewhat amateur after the shimmering textures and orchestral sonorities of the Hoddinott. Worth a listen. The Horowitz and Wilby concerti are are good. Jenkins is rather not up to scratch against these, certainly not alongside the Hoddinott.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Rosie55 View Post
        As a Hoddinott fan, I thought I would contribute as I received the excellent new Chandos disc of Euphonium concerti played by David Childs and the BBC NOW. The Hoddinott concerto (The Sunne Rising - The King Will Ride) inspired by John Dunne's poems on hunting is immediately followed by Karl Jenkins work which sounds somewhat amateur after the shimmering textures and orchestral sonorities of the Hoddinott. Worth a listen. The Horowitz and Wilby concerti are are good. Jenkins is rather not up to scratch against these, certainly not alongside the Hoddinott.
        Off topic, but interesting nevertheless.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Gordon View Post
          [as well as FF's lady that emailed having heard the same programme] .
          In the words of the corny old comedian, 'That was no lady ...'
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Gordon
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            In the words of the corny old comedian, 'That was no lady ...'
            And it wasn't my wife that emailed you either!!

Comment

• visualnickmos
              • Nov 2010

Pays de Galles, nul points. it seems!

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

And it wasn't my wife that emailed you either!!
                No, I knew your wife wasn't called Steve ...
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Don Petter

No, I knew your wife wasn't called Steve ...
                  Paul Temple's wife was.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

However I did know that he was classically trained under Hodinnott and had been a rock musician in Soft Machine all those years ago. I have to admit a certain prejudice when "Rock" people move into "classical" terrain!! .
                    I wonder what people really mean when they say these kinds of things?

Elton John went to the Royal Academy of Music, does that mean that somehow his piano playing is more "serious" or "real" than someone who didn't?

Many of the musicians I meet do all sorts of music, they don't necessarily classify themselves by genre, they always have.

Personally i'm not a great fan, if that was your question.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                      Paul Temple's wife was.
                      Yes, Steve Temple, I presume.

Gongers, I don't think EJ has moved into classical terrain. Just because musicians play in many styles, it doesn't mean they think that all music is just an amorphous mass of individual pieces with no common heritages.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                        • Nov 2010

Yes, Steve Temple, I presume.

Gongers, I don't think EJ has moved into classical terrain. Just because musicians play in many styles, it doesn't mean they think that all music is just an amorphous mass of individual pieces with no common heritages.
                        I don't think that also.
                        Nor do I think that music is "an amorphous mass of individual pieces with no common heritages" far from it.
                        I'm just struck by the way that the phrase "classically trained" is used sometimes about musicians who are not working in that genre.

It sometimes has the implication that they are doing something slightly transgressive, a bit like the comments one gets about Nige playing jazz (NOT that Nige Beef )

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                          • Nov 2010

Trying to be polite about it, feeble and predictable.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                            I'm just struck by the way that the phrase "classically trained" is used sometimes about musicians who are not working in that genre.
                            I mistrust the phrase because it's what the media say about any musician who has had some formal music training (even if it's school violin lessons). In that case it's being used to suggest 'serious' musical credentials, especially referring to pop musicians who may not have an atom of knowledge about 'classical music'.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                              Elton John went to the Royal Academy of Music, does that mean that somehow his piano playing is more "serious" or "real" than someone who didn't?
                              He can do something I struggle with - playing the piano while singing.

Comment

• visualnickmos
                                • Nov 2010

He can do two things I can't even struggle with!

Comment

Working...
                                X