• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
    Many centuries ago I saw the Concertgebouw with MTT play no.2, with the last chord suitably short. I found it pretty hard going before that though.
    Richard, I strongly recommend you try the Yale/Sinclair live recording of the Critical Edition, as mentioned earlier. I am listening to it again. I downloaded it from Bandcamp 3 years ago and pressure of work at that time meant it went to the back-burner. Wow! It knocks the big boys and girls into a cocked hat.

Comment

• Padraig
      • Feb 2013

Charles Ives b 20.10.1874

Happy Birthday!

Time for a song!

Alive & Well - Contemporary American Art Song and Piano MusicAnatole Plotkin, tenor & Dimitri Sogoloff, pianoCharles Ives - The Cage (1906)This very short so...

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

Gramophone (October 2024 issue) has announced that Sony will be releasing a 22CD set called Charles Ives — The Anthology 1945–1976 (entire discography of Columbia Masterworks and RCA Victor recordings) on 29 November 2024.
        A reissue of a 1974 5CD set produced by Columbia Masterworks will be released on 18 October 2024.

Comment

• smittims
          • Aug 2022

That will be quite a collector's treasure. I expect it will include Ives' own recordings of extracts from the 'Concord' sonata with his own interpolations, about 20 minutes' worth , and, needless to say, a unique historic record. I last saw it in a fascinating SONY 10-CD bargain set called 'Masterworks of the 20th century' which revived a lot of rare recordings of some pretty diverse music .

Once again I must praise SONY for showing much more interest (not to say loving care) over their inherited back-catalogue than the original owners showed.

Comment

Working...
          X