X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • barwickgreen
    • Sep 2024

British Film Music 27/9

I expected the triumphal multiculturalism at the end of the programme: It is the religion of the BBC after all. But the perversity of leaving out Roy Budd from such a programme, but including the score for an Indian film made in 1935 was pure BBC left-handedness. The music was very pleasant; but always the agenda! (Just 2 minutes into last night's Essay on Black Narcissus imperialism and colonialism made their appearance. I was only surprised that Yasmin Alabai-Brown wasn't giving her opinions.)
    A long play for Murder on the Orient Express but no Get Carter! It's clear old Don's no film expert.

Speaking of which, earlier in the week he seemed to think that Brian Easdale had written the score for Powell and Pressburger's A Matter of Life and Death.

And Vaughn Williams's score for Scott of the Antarctic got two airings in the same week, once on C.O.T.W, but no, for example, Allan Gray (who actually composed A Matter of Life and Death) George Auric, Arnold Bax (Oliver Twist) or Hans May (Brighton Rock). We got some other rather perverse selections from the 50s. My impression was a swiftly researched bit of received wisdom-ing.

All told, an opportunity half missed.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by barwickgreen View Post
    I expected the triumphal multiculturalism at the end of the programme: It is the religion of the BBC after all. But the perversity of leaving out Roy Budd from such a programme, but including the score for an Indian film made in 1935 was pure BBC left-handedness. The music was very pleasant; but always the agenda! (Just 2 minutes into last night's Essay on Black Narcissus imperialism and colonialism made their appearance. I was only surprised that Yasmin Alabai-Brown wasn't giving her opinions.)
    A long play for Murder on the Orient Express but no Get Carter! It's clear old Don's no film expert.

Speaking of which, earlier in the week he seemed to think that Brian Easdale had written the score for Powell and Pressburger's A Matter of Life and Death.

And Vaughn Williams's score for Scott of the Antarctic got two airings in the same week, once on C.O.T.W, but no, for example, Allan Gray (who actually composed A Matter of Life and Death) George Auric, Arnold Bax (Oliver Twist) or Hans May (Brighton Rock). We got some other rather perverse selections from the 50s. My impression was a swiftly researched bit of received wisdom-ing.

All told, an opportunity half missed.
    Whilst the week did contain a number of musically interesting revelations I'd be in general agreement with the above.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      Whilst the week did contain a number of musically interesting revelations I'd be in general agreement with the above.
      So would I... in particular with:
      Originally posted by barwickgreen View Post
      ...Vaughan Williams's score for Scott of the Antarctic got two airings in the same week, once on C.O.T.W, but no, for example, Allan Gray (who actually composed A Matter of Life and Death) George Auric, Arnold Bax (Oliver Twist) or Hans May (Brighton Rock). We got some other rather perverse selections from the 50s. My impression was a swiftly researched bit of received wisdom-ing.
      But as I tend to hear the evening repeat while cycling home, on a personal level some of the music happened to provide a rather fertile soundtrack to my journeys... Cycling around some secluded City streets in the gloaming with the 'Ipcress File' music was frisson-inducing

(... though the 'Out of Africa' theme was rather less suited to the delights of High Holborn )

However the low point of the week was the awful, retch-inducing rendition of 'Hard Day's Night' by the cellos of the Berlin Phil

- the excuse given for not playing the original being that it would trespass too far into Radio 2 territory....
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Flay
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        that it would trespass too far into Radio 2 territory....
        I agree entirely. When has that ever stopped them before?

Yes, I heard some of it, it was painful.
        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

The bit about the Coal Industry in the 30's with music by Britten on monday (???) was very interesting......

then work got in the way....

or was it last week.......
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
            or was it last week.......
            I know that feeling....
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
              I know that feeling....
              It's the weekend...isn't it Cals?

I am going to relax by critiquing HS's review of the CBSO Manfred .....yeah right !

Well, going to give it a listen anyway, since it's a great piece. !
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• cheesehoven
                • Nov 2010

This cotw is the only thing I've found interesting in these long joyless weeks of Radio 3. It does emphasize the gulf between the great scores and the utter drek in some films even those considered classics. Alwyn's final sequence for Odd Man Out must be one of the greatest pieces of sustained invention in any film. I remember seeing the film and being impressed by the music. I realized it must be the work of a master or perhaps an adaptation of a classical piece. I was surprised when I saw the credits and the name William Alwyn came up. He was someone I'd never heard of.
                Some of the horror film music heard yesterday, even those written for cheap schlock horror, is surprisingly good out of context. Time has not been kind to pieces like the Dream of Olwyn and I suspect will not be kind to some of the minimal pieces on today's programme which already sound like muzak.
                I did think they missed a trick in not juxtaposing Walton's music for Henry V with that of Patrick Doyle. Such a comparison would be instructive although hardly flattering to Doyle.
                Last edited by cheesehoven; 27-09-13, 19:45.

Comment

Working...
                X