• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Vivaldi

Stabat Mater in its entirety sung by Sara Mingardo can’t be that bad.

…but please can we have ONE playlist BEFORE the programme, instead of TWO afterwards.

[ed] Stabat Mater: David Vicker’s BaL choice in 2008
    First Choice:
    (c/w Nisi Dominus RV 608, Salve Regina RV 616, Concerto for viola d'amore FII No. 2) Carlos Mena (counter tenor), Ricercar Consort, Philippe Pierlot (director)
    Mirare MIR 9968
    Last edited by doversoul1; 20-03-13, 10:09.
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

I love Sara M and have a number of CDs on which she features, including this one. Rather bizarrely, I listened to the Stabat Mater yesterday on earphones while repairing my leaking shed roof.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
      • Mar 2013

Mingardo, Invernizzi and Alessandrini/Concerto Italiano are a 'dream team' in Vivaldi's choral works. This disc is often in my CD player and is a joy from start to finish:

Vivaldi's Dixit Dominus and Nisi Dominus

Here's Mingardo wine-dark vocals on 'Cum dederit':

It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
        Mingardo, Invernizzi and Alessandrini/Concerto Italiano are a 'dream team' in Vivaldi's choral works. This disc is often in my CD player and is a joy from start to finish:

Whereas based on this week (and one moment particularly when I had to rip the earphones off, it was so awful), the combination of Bartoli and AV at his most vacuous in silly running-up-and-down opera arias, is one of the worst sounds in classical music, to my ears. I find it literally intolerable.
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Whereas based on this week (and one moment particularly when I had to rip the earphones off, it was so awful), the combination of Bartoli and AV at his most vacuous in silly running-up-and-down opera arias, is one of the worst sounds in classical music, to my ears. I find it literally intolerable.
          Thanks for the warning! My only experience of Bartoli, aside of the disturbing album cover below, which was all over Prestoclassical a few months back, was on the recent 'Private Passions'. Ironically, she was being praised rather than mauled for Crimes Against Lugholes. Perhaps someone should try wielding a cross her
          way and see if she can be stopped!

--

The above Mingardo/Alessandrini disc is self-recommending, if you don't have it. An unmitigated gem.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Thanks for the warning!
            Of course these boards often serve to confirm that one man's 'unendurable shrieking' is another's 'vibrant operatic sublimity' &c &c... so others may love it. I hate it.

PS Great image juxtaposition
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• MickyD
              • Nov 2010

Here's Mingardo wine-dark vocals on 'Cum dederit':

Thanks, I hadn't heard this version up to now. I still have great affection for James Bowman's haunting version recorded back in 1977 with Hogwood and the AAM.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                • Mar 2013

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                Thanks, I hadn't heard this version up to now. I still have great affection for James Bowman's haunting version recorded back in 1977 with Hogwood and the AAM.
                It's a fantastic disc: I got is as part of a 4-disc box set of Alessandrini's Vivaldi on Naïve, which also includes both versions of the Gloria. It's available on Amazon for a staggeringly good value £8.82 via the Marketplace.

Mingardo (singing alongside Gemma Bertagnolli) is also sensational in Pergolesi's Stabat Mater, again with maestro Alessandrini at the helm.

EDIT:

More info about 4-discs: Olimpiade highlights (as pointed out by gurnemanz below), along with a disc of sacred music ('vespers', Nisi Dominus, Dixit Dominus), a disc of Glorias, and a disc of Concerti per archi. http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Naive/OP30516
                Last edited by Thropplenoggin; 21-03-13, 18:34.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                  • Nov 2010

It's a fantastic disc: I got is as part of a 4-disc box set of Alessandrini's Vivaldi on Naïve, which also includes both versions of the Gloria. It's available on Amazon for a staggeringly good value £8.82 via the Marketplace.

Mingardo (singing alongside Gemma Bertagnolli) is also sensational in Pergolesi's Stabat Mater, again with maestro Alessandrini at the helm.
                  That L'Olimpiade disc is also on this good value Naive Threefer (as long as you don't object to highlights discs) + alluring cover photo:

On La Verità in Cimento you get two contraltos - Mingardo and Stutzmann.

Comment

Working...
                  X