• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Wilhelm Friedemann Bach: 18-22 February

I know this is rather early to post about next Monday but I am very much looking forward to this Composer of the Week.

The First Son of a Genius: Wilhelm Friedemann Bach (1710-1784)
  • Thropplenoggin

A fascinating first instalment. Ol' Wilhelm, sullen and intellectual, possibly dissolute and rakish, sounds like my kinda guy.

The opening piece from a harpsichord sonata in A Minor had me hooked - what a lovely melody! I also enjoyed the next two pieces: a concerto for keyboard and continuo and found the excerpts from 'The Little Book for WF Bach', possibly co-composed 'twixt father and son, absolutely charming.

The organ fantasia had me screaming "Donald, MAKE IT STOP! PLEASE" I was in the tub at the time and unable to reach the necessary dial.

To conclude: R3 doing what it does best: informing us about some very agreeable and relatively obscure music. Well done, DM! I'll be tuning in for the next four episodes.
    Last edited by Guest; 18-02-13, 20:46.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
      A fascinating first instalment. Ol' Wilhelm, sullen and intellectual, possibly dissolute and rakish, sounds like my kinda guy.

The opening piece from a harpsichord sonata in A Minor had me hooked - what a lovely melody! I also enjoyed the next two pieces: a concerto for keyboard and continuo and found the excerpts from 'The Little Book for WF Bach', possibly co-composed 'twixt father and son, absolutely charming.

The organ fantasia had me screaming "Donald, MAKE IT STOP! PLEASE" I was in the tub at the time and unable to reach the necessary dial.

To conclude: R3 doing what it does best: informing us about some very agreeable and relatively obscure music. Well done, DM! I'll be tuning in for the next four episodes.
      Quite agree, Throppers. Quality fare.

Aperçus from Episode 2:

1) How To Get Ahead In Academia, Part One: Becoming An Expert. Be sure to choose a personage that a) people know nothing about (WF Bach) because b) very little information about said personage actually exists.

2) Americans pronounce "baroque" as in "ba-r-oak" e.g. Hey Bazza, did you notice how Barthold Kuijken was really going for baroque in that Wilhelm Fridemann Bach flute solo?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Quite agree, Throppers. Quality fare.
        Great to know you still agree with yourself!!

OT: fascinating COTW, I also agree, about a composer who had passed me by...
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          Great to know you still agree with yourself!!

OT: fascinating COTW, I also agree, about a composer who had passed me by...
          I'm quite tempted to nominate that reply to myself for the inaugural 'Post of the Week', when such a prestigious award exists.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

I'm quite tempted to nominate that reply to myself for the inaugural 'Post of the Week', when such a prestigious award exists.
            Don't let us interrupt! Maybe you could inaugurate the awards, nominate yourself and then give yourself the award!

"...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
              Don't let us interrupt! Maybe you could inaugurate the awards, nominate yourself and then give yourself the award!

I'd just like to thank...myself for this award...

Comment

Working...
              X