X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Sofia Gubaidulina (b. 1931)

Really been looking forward to this week's personality. A first for COTW? - apparently so for this forum.

Kicking off with a charming, neat little piece of Neo-Classicism for flute and piano, almost Arnold-ish, from the beginning of her career.

Sofia Gubaidulina is encouraged by Shostakovich. With Donald Macleod and Gerard McBurney.
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

Great that they chose the Kagan Premiere recording of Offertorium, probably best of the three extant, though a pity that the Stimmen....Verstummen Symphony is only going to be excerpted. It is a stunning, crucial piece in her output, and those "voices...becoming silent" only really work if the 12 continuous Movements are heard complete. What an impact it has, and the Rozh recording really lets you have it! Wow.

Shame there's nothing off the new DG release I highlighted here a few days ago.... as I said, some of her best music in ages in terrific (and often terrifying) recordings....

"The Light of the End" (2003) is a remarkable piece..... speaks to us of now and of all times. Do hear it, any way you can.

CD already available (and already here...). If you desire the physical product, then all I can say is "just buy it".....and hit 11 on the volume...
    Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 01-11-21, 16:30.

Comment

• bluestateprommer
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
      "The Light of the End" (2003) is a remarkable piece..... speaks to us of now and of all times. Do hear it, any way you can.
      The Boston Symphony Orchestra has a recent live radio broadcast, with Andris Nelsons conducting, of a concert last month that includes SG's The Light of the End, available for a few weeks more, I think (but I shouldn't wait long if you want to give it a listen):

In a celebration of the composer's 90th birthday, Andris Nelsons leads the Boston Symphony Orchestra in Sofia Gubaidulina's "The Light of the End," as well as Rachmaninoff’s powerfully dramatic Third Symphony.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by bluestateprommer View Post
        The Boston Symphony Orchestra has a recent live radio broadcast, with Andris Nelsons conducting, of a concert last month that includes SG's The Light of the End, available for a few weeks more, I think (but I shouldn't wait long if you want to give it a listen):

https://www.classicalwcrb.org/show/t...d-rachmaninoff
        Thanks. The Light at the End has just started here. Good to have the brief Haitink tribute.

Comment

• Beresford
          • Apr 2012

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
          Great that they chose the Kagan Premiere recording of Offertorium, probably best of the three extant....:
          Is it that much better than the recording by Kremer / Dutoit, which I have?

Comment

Working...
          X