Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Belgrove
    • Nov 2010

That Covent Garden production, conducted by Simon Rattle, was indeed magnificent. No props other than the occasional chair, just done with very inventive and effective lighting. Glyndebourne are mounting a new production of the Carmelites from June this year, which is something to look forward to.

There is hardly a piece by Poulenc I dislike, but his solo piano and chamber music is a constant in my listening, combining the playful and the profound.

Comment

• crb11
      • Jan 2011

I saw Carmelites at ENO in early 2007, so Mandryka's recollection could be correct. I think the ROH one may have been the following year - I considered going but didn't in the end. Similarly stunning performance, and I think the ending staging was broadly similar to Cockney Sparrow's description.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
        • Jan 2014

With more time available, I've checked - I saw the Robert Carsen production in June 2014. There is a DVD of Muti / La Scala published in 2004 and it refers to Muti having seen the production and arranging for performance at Las Scala. The ROH yearbook says that I saw Carsen's production, originally that of 2002 from Die Nederlandse Opera Amsterdam.

I have the Muti DVD and the ending is not as I remember it - it could well be a faulty memory about a single line (I'm sure the Nun's emerged from the darkness, and then fell, one by one). Alternatively, he could have altered the final scene in 2014 - easy enough, with no set to speak of (lighting, backdrops only)..

Comment

• Belgrove
          • Nov 2010

There’s a thread on that production here:

Comment

• gurnemanz
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Belgrove View Post

http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...rmelites-(ROH)
            Thanks for the nudge. Skipping through the contributions there, including a couple of my own, served to remind me of a rewarding evening in the theatre. (And saves me coming on here to repeat myself}

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
              • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Belgrove View Post

http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...rmelites-(ROH)
              Your post #22 there is an eloquent summary of my evening at that production - thank you. Together with posts #22, #23.

I hadn't listened, or seen in any form D. Carmelites before - although I do like the music of Poulenc I have come across and should have explored even more of it since 2014 - I must listen to the Bramwell Tovey/Chandos Disc for a start. As a result I had no other listening experience to judge the Carsen/Rattle production but I was mightily impressed by the whole performance. Abandoning cross reference, I agree with Gurnemanz :

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
              .....I think the last scene was quite in accord with the imagery and choreography of the production overall and worked well for me. It will probably be my abiding memory of the evening......

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                It might be worth flagging this up:

Poulenc Integrale - Edition du 50e anniversaire 1963-2013

20CDs for just under £60.

Full listing here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Poulenc-Int...091JQH76&psc=1
                Ouch! It was less than half that price when I got it 10 years ago.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                  Host
                  • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  Ouch! It was less than half that price when I got it 10 years ago.
                  A first class stamp almost certainly cost less than half today's price too.

Still pretty good value, I think (though I think there was/is a Decca equivalent that I didn't buy as I had many of the recordings already, especially the Mélodies).
                  Listening to the Prêtre Biches as I type.

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
                    I saw Dialogue of the Carmelites about 15 years ago, at the Colosseum I think, but it may have been Covent Garden - I certainly left the theatre thinking it was a magnificent work. I can still remember the final scene.
                    ... how to achieve the sound of the guillotine always a nice challenge. I enjoyed this piece -

A list I subscribe to recently had a small item about Francis Poulenc's Dialogues of the Carmelites (1957), which is not exactly the kind of...

apparently the premiere at la Scala used a replica guillotine, but recent productions have tended to use a couple of percussionists or a recorded effect. The score isn't terribly enlightening

Last edited by vinteuil; 21-04-23, 13:07.

Comment

• Boilk
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                      A first class stamp almost certainly cost less than half today's price too.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Boilk View Post
                        Pretty close then.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

And the quality of their delivery 'service' has dropped like a stone since privatisation. An LP I ordered from York Records, supposedly due to be delivered by Royal Mail "by Wednesday 19th" was eventually delivered this morning. Also, it was supposed to have been tracked. The only update to the tracking after "dispatched" was post[sic] it's delivery.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                              Host
                              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                              And just think how many stamps you could buy with your pensioner's £10 Christmas bonus (to help you send your cards?).
                              Obviously, pensioners have 90% (or so) fewer friends these days.

Comment

Working...
                              X