• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Carlo Gesualdo: 26-30 March

Monday’s playlist;

Moro lasso (transcribed by Tönu Kaljuste)
    Tallinn Chamber Orchestra
    Ne reminiscaris; In te Domine speravi
    La Compagnia del Madrigale
    Baci soave e cari; Quanto ha di dolce Amore; Mentre Madonna il lasso fianco posa;
    Ahi, troppo saggia nell'erar
    Gesualdo Consort Amsterdam
    Harry van der Kamp, director
    Com'esser può ch'io viva se m'uccidi; Son sì belle le rose; Bell'angioletta da le vaghe piume
    Gesualdo Consort Amsterdam
    Harry van der Kamp, director
    Caro amoroso neo; Ma se tale ha costei; Se cosi dolce e il duolo; Ma se averra ch'io moia
    Delitiae Musicae
    Marco Longhini, director
    Canzon francese del principe
    Fabio Antonio Falcone, harpsichord
    Sento che nel partire
    Kassiopeia Quintet
    O Crux benedicta (arranged by Erkki Sven Tüür)
    Tallinnn Chamber Orchestra
    Tönu Kaljuste, conductor.
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

That's if it does not get pulled due to Gesualdo's criminal behaviour.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      That's if it does not get pulled due to Gesualdo's criminal behaviour.
      - "if you have been affected by any of the issues raised in this episode of Composer of the Week ... "
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

both

Important to note...is the reality that women in late-Renaissance Italy were not allowed amorous dallinces. Spanish conventions, which would have included Naples, inclined to the killing of both the adulteress and her lover, the Northern Italian tradition to killing only the wife []. The custom held that a cuckolded male, and particularly a Neapolitan prince, had not only the right but the duty to protect the honour of the family name by murdering the guilty parties.
        - Glenn Watkins, The Gesualdo Hex. Glenn Watkins was interviewed by Catherine Bott on EMS a few years ago.

Further grisly details - will DM recount these? - the bodies were allegedly stripped and left on the grand staircase on Gesualdo's orders...a monk flung himself on Maria's corpse and committed an act of, erm, necrophilia....

Gesualdo was far from being the only composer/nobleman to do the same in similar circumstances- Alfonso Fontanelli, Francesco Rasi....(the latter, having been banned from Tuscany and despatched to Turin, took part in a restaging of Monteverdi's Orfeo )

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Many thanks DS for the thumbs up here!
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• doversoul1
            Ex Member
            • Dec 2010

The programme is interesting but I’m not terribly keen on one of the ensembles whose recordings have been played most often; I find the countertenor rather pronounced. I wonder how the choice was made.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
              The programme is interesting but I’m not terribly keen on one of the ensembles whose recordings have been played most often; I find the countertenor rather pronounced. I wonder how the choice was made.
              Likewise. I didn't hear anything to change my mind that the best recordings of Gesualdo so far are the ones by Compagnia dei Madrigali, who have hardly featured at all. Also, nothing from La Venexiana or Concerto Italiano.

Comment

• doversoul1
                Ex Member
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                Likewise. I didn't hear anything to change my mind that the best recordings of Gesualdo so far are the ones by Compagnia dei Madrigali, who have hardly featured at all. Also, nothing from La Venexiana or Concerto Italiano.
                Today’s programme opened with La Venexiana. I am glad I didn’t give up. The difference it makes!

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                  • Jan 2016

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
                  Today’s programme opened with La Venexiana. I am glad I didn’t give up. The difference it makes!
                  Indeed. And this afternoon I listened to the CD of the Third Book with Compagnia, which was captivating... it must have something to do with singing in one's native language.

Comment

• DracoM
                    Host
                    • Mar 2007

Yes, DS, I have similar reservations about the ensemble who are performing many of the 'tracks' this week for COTW.
                    But as ever, thx for your assiduous headlining it all for us.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

How do people rate the Hilliards? To my ear their recording of Tenebrae, and sound generally, has an especial edge.... I have heard them live, in St Davids Cathedral, with that saxophone bloke....

Comment

• doversoul1
                        Ex Member
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                        How do people rate the Hilliards? To my ear their recording of Tenebrae, and sound generally, has an especial edge.... I have heard them live, in St Davids Cathedral, with that saxophone bloke....
                        I usually enjoy the Hilliards (preferably without the saxophone) but today, after La Venexiana, their Gesualdo sounded, to me, more like Byrd.

Comment

Working...
                        X