X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Ferney, not an attack of BBMism? Can be catchy!!
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Having, erm, mastered the "English Brahmisian" while style studying with Stanford, Rebecca Clarke pursued inspirations in common with many of her English contemporaries. One feels disinclined to carp at undigested influences - Vaughan Williams, Ireland, Ravel especially - until having read the linked article below, illuminating as it is on what it once was to be a woman composer, irrespective of background - and by no means least an instrumental virtuoso plotting her own career through all the obstacles and discouragements which were to be encountered in that foreign country of the past. Well worth the insights it offers, I think.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        Having, erm, mastered the "English Brahmisian" while style studying with Stanford, Rebecca Clarke pursued inspirations in common with many of her English contemporaries. One feels disinclined to carp at undigested influences - Vaughan Williams, Ireland, Ravel especially - until having read the linked article below, illuminating as it is on what it once was to be a woman composer, irrespective of background - and by no means least an instrumental virtuoso plotting her own career through all the obstacles and discouragements which were to be encountered in that foreign country of the past. Well worth the insights it offers, I think.

http://www.rebeccaclarke.org/pdf/identity.pdf
        Thanks S_A,and Pabs for post #6

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          moistly
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
          X