X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StephenO
    • Sep 2024

What's happened to the repeat?

Sorry if this has already been discussed (I haven't been on the Forum for a couple of weeks) but where has the repeat of CotW gone? Looking in Radio Times and on the R3 website it seems as though CotW is now only aired at lunchtimes - hardly the best time for those of us who work five days a week. Fortunately I'm on half term at the moment so will be able to catch Mahler but after that...

When was this decided and why? And do we really need an extra hour of In Tune?
  • Il Grande Inquisitor
    • Mar 2007

Stephen, the repeat has been 6:30-7:30pm for the past few weeks, but as four of this week's five live concerts start at 7pm, the repeat 'seems' to have been scrapped.
    Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

• mercia
      • Nov 2010

Week 23, next week, CotW Satie repeated 18.30-19.30

Comment

• affenkopf

In the age of the iplayer a repeat a few hours after the original broadcast seems unnecessary to me.

Comment

• StephenO

Not everyone wants to listen on the iplayer. As a total technophobe, I for one have yet to grasp its intricacies.

Good to hear Satie will be repeated next week.

Comment

• John Wright
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by affenkopf View Post
            In the age of the iplayer a repeat a few hours after the original broadcast seems unnecessary to me.
            No, no, no. Only if a switched on PC/Laptop or Mrs W's Wifit is in front of me can I usefully use iplayer, and get an acceptable audio. Three radios in this house have an ON button, much easier, so thank you repeat CotW.

I expect a good % of R3 listeners would agree.
            - - -

John W

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by John Wright View Post
              No, no, no. Only if a switched on PC/Laptop or Mrs W's Wifit is in front of me can I usefully use iplayer, and get an acceptable audio. Three radios in this house have an ON button, much easier, so thank you repeat CotW.

I expect a good % of R3 listeners would agree.
              I don't always listen to COTW but I know others do and like it.
              I really rather liked the format a few years ago in which the repeat was a week later. This meant that if there was something which was flagged up as being really good, there would be another chance to hear it (and maybe even apply time shifting kit to it ...). An added bonus for Listen Again (now iPlayer) fans was the extended listening period. I would recommend that format be brought back.

I agree about the ease of use of iPlayer etc. There are many who still have a simple radio with an on-off button, though in the future we might expect more people to be able to use on-demand features more effectively. We're not there yet, though.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Let's not forget either that there are many people who don't even use/have computers (they just don't post here much).

What about the 'repeat' being separated by even, say, a month or two? Few people, surely, who listen at midday would want to be listening to the same programme at 6.30pm, but they might care to refresh their memory a few weeks later.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  Let's not forget either that there are many people who don't even use/have computers (they just don't post here much).

What about the 'repeat' being separated by even, say, a month or two? Few people, surely, who listen at midday would want to be listening to the same programme at 6.30pm, but they might care to refresh their memory a few weeks later.
                  Give it a few years frenchie, and RW might just come up with such an innovation as a week's or month's delay before the repeat.

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    Wonder why not?

Under the rules, such as they are, that might give an extra added bonus to online listeners, as it could result in a greatly extended period of availability. Long term I believe that online is the way to go, with extended on-demand capability.

I suspect that one month between the first and the second broadcast might be just too much for regular listeners. Another idea might be to have some form of omnibus edition, but with COTW i would expect that to be too big a challenge.

Comment

Working...
                    X